To many medals ?

Are you saying that we shouldnt recieve medals for being wounded in battle? Or rescuing a drowning person? Or Ending a war with on specially placed laser targeted bomb? Why shouldnt we?

Medals, maybe not...ribbons, yeah. Our forces do get decorated for quite a lot, but it's ok, because most of the ribbons don't mean much (in comparison to, say, the Purple Heart or the Silver Star). That's just how we denote tours of duty, etc.

Since this is in the "Jounior military chat" i'm guessing you are mabe talking bout the JROTC medals? And if you are then you are wrong! JROTC doesn't just give out medals to just anyone!(well at least in MCJROTC) One medal even requires you to be in the top 5% of you whole grade in the school! I think if you are one f the highest grading people in your grade level you desever somthing! But ribbons is a different on the different JROTC's. Like I heard you get a ribbon for cleaning a rifle in AFJROTC(correct me if i'm wrong) In MCJOTC they expect you to clean the rifles and they don't give you a ribbon if you do. If MCJROTC gave a ribbon for every time you cleaned a rifle everyone in my unit would have a gold device on it by now!

Not quite correct on the rifle cleaning thing...They give you a ribbon for cleaning the rifles perfectly, making sure that everything is ready for exhibition, and making sure the rifles are kept up well. Its called being the "Armorer". And I have it. They give it to you once. Only once.

I believe what the Master Corporal was saying is only a comparison between American JROTC and Canadian Cadet groups. I have myself noticed a large difference in the number of ribbons that American Youth Military Groups get and the number that Canadain Cadets get.

I'm not sure of the American numbers, but in Air Cadets here, we are only eliglible for 6 (maybe less now) ribbons. I'll admit, when I saw a picture of an American C/MSgt, I almost s*** myself at the number of ribbons that he had. I've spent 6 years with the Air Cadets, and never saw a single ribbon on my uniform. My quals were all in the form of badges and pins.

Oh man only 6 ribbons?! The Air Force JROTC cadets are eligible for over 20 ribbons...and that doesnt even include the national ribbons...Oh well, maybe they think that if they load us down with ribbons, it will motivate us to join for real...

20 ribbons, eh? I don't even think our CDS (Chief of Defence Staff) has that many. Close to, but not that many.

Yeah, we do get a lot of ribbons. I went to a CAC meeting yesterday. Out of the seven cadets and one senior member who wore ribbons there was a combined total of around one hundred ribbons. I have fourteen ribbons and one device, recieving possibly another device, and one more ribbon thursday :? . But they're rarely on my blues anyway.

i have 8 ribbons...the person with the most in my unit is the battalion commander with 12.... :shock:

Hookedonlemons said:
Since this is in the "Jounior military chat" i'm guessing you are mabe talking bout the JROTC medals? And if you are then you are wrong! JROTC doesn't just give out medals to just anyone!(well at least in MCJROTC) One medal even requires you to be in the top 5% of you whole grade in the school! I think if you are one f the highest grading people in your grade level you desever somthing! But ribbons is a different on the different JROTC's. Like I heard you get a ribbon for cleaning a rifle in AFJROTC(correct me if i'm wrong) In MCJOTC they expect you to clean the rifles and they don't give you a ribbon if you do. If MCJROTC gave a ribbon for every time you cleaned a rifle everyone in my unit would have a gold device on it by now!

I'm in Navy JROTC and I got 5 medals.

C/sergeant_henderson said:
Not quite correct on the rifle cleaning thing...They give you a ribbon for cleaning the rifles perfectly, making sure that everything is ready for exhibition, and making sure the rifles are kept up well. Its called being the "Armorer". And I have it. They give it to you once. Only once.
Thank you for informing me on that. I knew they wouldn't just give a ribbon to anyone who cleaned a rifle

Hookedonlemons said:
C/sergeant_henderson said:
Thank you for informing me on that. I knew they wouldn't just give a ribbon to anyone who cleaned a rifle
I would be supriesd if they did lol! :lol:

C/CMSgt Henderson said:
Ok we dont have too many medals but we could tone it down just a bit on the ribbons...LOL

LOL, I have 25 ribbons, 3 medals, 6 medalions, and 5 cords. I think they give out awards for a little too much :lol: .

Back