Mandatory Military Service a good idea or a bad one?

Don't teach them the wiring explosives bit. Drill, drill, drill.... then teach them how to twirl rifles. Then they can have a rifle twirling face off... like break dance "battles."
TOG, you don't know what I am talking about, do you?

Don't teach them the wiring explosives bit. Drill, drill, drill.... then teach them how to twirl rifles. Then they can have a rifle twirling face off... like break dance "battles."
TOG, you don't know what I am talking about, do you?

And then the anthill lesson, long walking, and looking for the f.....g ants!

What.

You want to give future criminals military training?

Not such a stupid idea. One of the best instructors I have ever had (an Artillery Sergeant) was a young offender (stole a car).... he was given a choice by the magistrate, time in lock up or join the army.

They don't offer that system any more in Australia, but he is a prime example of what somebody set on the right path can become. Just because somebody commits a crime as a youth doesn't mean they have to be an adult criminal.

They don't offer that system any more in Australia, but he is a prime example of what somebody set on the right path can become. Just because somebody commits a crime as a youth doesn't mean they have to be an adult criminal.

Too right mate. I've met more than few good people who have committed some kind of crime in the past. People can change, true some are just bad apples but it would be unfair to treat everyone who's committed a crime as such.

That is thrue

Not such a stupid idea. One of the best instructors I have ever had (an Artillery Sergeant) was a young offender (stole a car).... he was given a choice by the magistrate, time in lock up or join the army.

Hi there Aussie!

Myself was a minor offender, and army saves me, but those are exeptions, not a general rule, you can not give another chance to per example pedofil, raper, or serial killer. This guy was probably convicted for minor offence.

I served with ex criminals, when war broke up, and most of them was hard to control. They came from French foreign legion, and who know else. Even Franch, i think so, do not allowed criminals to enlist anymore.

Stay well my brother !

Our Platoon Officer had also been in trouble with the police when he eight years old, he got arrested and prosecuted. Not only did he get a commission in the British Army but after leaving the British Army he got a commission again in the Australian Army and became one of the most decorated Australian Officers since WW2 after numerous tours of Vietnam rose to the rank of Colonel and ran their Staff College for years

All prime examples. Obviously, any major offence would disallow service, but minor issues such as assault, minor theft etc are not really a preclusion to good military service. However, sexual crimes and drug offences are deal breakers.

Yeah there are criminals who turn up alright but they can only be effective if your military has some SERIOUS disciplining measures. (basically bordering on human rights abuse)
In today's "kinder and gentler" militaries, there is no place for criminals unfortunately.

I know if I were a criminal I'd surely choose military service over jail time... But I think it should be strictly for non-violent offenders who probably won't use the skills to harm others.

I do not want any person who does not want to serve. I would rather have an obese, mentally challenged, multi time felon (all with valid waivers of course :)) who wants to serve than a person forced to.

Are you sure?
Because some volunteers just ain't good enough, period, and sometimes I'd rather have someone who's fit for duty even though that person doesn't want to do it. You get issued a pair of subordinate motivators while you're at boot camp so that you can use it when you climb the ladder a bit.
If the guy can't run the mile in less than 7 minutes and he's got to be able to do that tomorrow, I can't get a fat, obese, mentally retarded volunteer to do that.
With good leadership, you can do some pretty good things with draftees.
Then again, I served in a rifle company so I could be biased.

Too many people are lazy in our world. They won't try anything.

But, if they get forced to do something great like Military Service, they may find something they love. They probably might find a career they like.

Are you sure?
Because some volunteers just ain't good enough, period, and sometimes I'd rather have someone who's fit for duty even though that person doesn't want to do it. You get issued a pair of subordinate motivators while you're at boot camp so that you can use it when you climb the ladder a bit.
If the guy can't run the mile in less than 7 minutes and he's got to be able to do that tomorrow, I can't get a fat, obese, mentally retarded volunteer to do that.
With good leadership, you can do some pretty good things with draftees.
Then again, I served in a rifle company so I could be biased.

Are there people who when forced to join would become great assets? Absolutely. A majority though would be doing everything in their power to avoid serving. When Carter pardoned all those deserters our teeth became dull. Then you had the start of political correctness with "Tailhook" and everything that came with it. Even now the recruiting services won't/can't make a person ship to boot camp. We coddle people too freakin much now to get anything out of a non-vol.

Boot camp and follow-on commands weed out the volunteers who cannot adapt or learn but for the most part at least they try...

Yeah they do try.
These morons think that you improve morale by coddling and sending singers to sing for the troops etc. No way. The best morale booster is good training which instills a sense of confidence and knowledge that when it comes to your MOS, you are the best in the world.
THAT'S what boosts morale.

Yeah they do try.
These morons think that you improve morale by coddling and sending singers to sing for the troops etc. No way. The best morale booster is good training which instills a sense of confidence and knowledge that when it comes to your MOS, you are the best in the world.
THAT'S what boosts morale.

Hit the nail squarely on the head!

Back