Mandatory JROTC in highschool?

RexMundi

I attended a school where taking JROTC was mandatory. I think that it was a waste of school resources and time of the students. Since it was mandatory, most of the people in the program did not want to be there. That in turn created problems in the brigade as a whole. It was useful to the five cadets that would go on to attend a military academy, and five or so others that would get Rotc scholarships, but it turned out to be a waste of time for everyone else. There were senior short cols that did little more than was needed to graduate. After four years of JROTC, I was left with a lot of useless skills such as reading military maps, shooting, and marching. Do you think it was good for a school to force students into the program?

They force you into JROTC!?!
Thats wrong. JROTC is supposed to be a volunteer program...
I have yet met anyone who was forced into JROTC until now

And also most things you learn in JROTC should help you in real life because JROTC is not a recruiting program it is a program designed to teach you to be a better person, so most of the skill should be useful even if you don't join the military.

JROTC or any youth military group should be optional. Otherwise, you'll have people that don't do anything productive to the unit.

I'm sure that you came out with more than just those skills, and believe me...there not useless. JROTC programs are designed around building teamwork, leadership potential and discipline. If you came out of four years of JROTC with at least one of those, it wasn't a waste of time.

RexMundi said:
I attended a school where taking JROTC was mandatory. I think that it was a waste of school resources and time of the students. Since it was mandatory, most of the people in the program did not want to be there. That in turn created problems in the brigade as a whole. It was useful to the five cadets that would go on to attend a military academy, and five or so others that would get Rotc scholarships, but it turned out to be a waste of time for everyone else. There were senior short cols that did little more than was needed to graduate. After four years of JROTC, I was left with a lot of useless skills such as reading military maps, shooting, and marching. Do you think it was good for a school to force students into the program?
Heck I wish our school did that because we need more cadets in the NJROTC program I don't see whats so bad about it except gettng a high
and tight hair cut all else is all good. :thumb:

To clarifly, I went to a private school, so it wasnt mandatory since you didn't HAVE to go to school there. Any student enrolled was required to participate.

Ive never heard of a mandatory Junior ROTC class before...even in private schools. Thats wrong they shouldnt make you sign up for that class if you dont want to...you should do something about it. they cant force you into any class...

I attend a school where JROTC is mandatory. Some people just blow it off while other people actually take it seriously. it depends on the feeling of the cadets.

hey

wow... I wish my school did that too... It would be more military like because the whole school is associated with JROTC... the more the better plus more students would be disciplined if they still allowed us to yell and make cadets do p.t. but we cant do that no more...

I wish it was like that in my high school cause there are some kids that need the discipline and all that....

The purpose of JROTC is to...

... develope citizenship...
... build character...
... and promote patriotism.

I doubt it was an entire waste.

And that does seem odd they'd force you into it. I can't really figure out how you'd pass Annual Inspections like that.

Mod Edit: If you're not going to post something useful, don't post.

Or mexico...i hear they are taking anyone who can run, jump or swim...all theyre people that can are already over here.

Anywayz, i think that Junior ROTC shouldnt be mandatory because it would cause problems with the cadets who were in it because their parents made them.

Well it depends. If the school is a military school then duh of course. There's Eight Public Schools in Chicago, in bad neighborhoods, it's known as Military High. If the students don't wish to attend that school they can go to a different school. But the purpose of JROTC in general is to get kids of the streets, that's the point of all youth organizations actually. It has deviated from it's original purpose. That's why you see JROTC in poorer areas rather then in well-to-do areas.

Amen i think that if you dont want to go into jrotc \then you shouldnt be forced into it if you dont want to do anything but things that are good for the state then you dont need to

Darkmb101 said:
Its a waste of time and energy for kids to be forced into JROTC.

It's also a waste of resources for those who are interested. When you're spending money on those who don't want to be there, it prohibits the cadets that want to be there from doing other fun activities.

Back