Mandatory JROTC in highschool?

That is true mr.cadet moderator,but most of the cadets in my platoon are in it just for the ranks and to boss other people around.:mad:

This may not be the case at all schools, but most of the "cadets" here are about as bright as a doorknob.

edit- not the shiny metal ones those really bright.

Well, I would have to agree with most of you. Making JROTC mandatory isn't really the greatest idea in the world. However, as we all know, it would do a world of good to those who need it!

C/2Lt Henderson said:
Ive never heard of a mandatory Junior ROTC class before...even in private schools. Thats wrong they shouldnt make you sign up for that class if you dont want to...you should do something about it. they cant force you into any class...

yeah, right, come to Louisiana and find out just how screwed up my classes are. ex: forced into "freshman orientation" (they test you on who the principals are), forced into Art I, and into keyboarding.

deerslayer said:
yeah, right, come to Louisiana and find out just how screwed up my classes are. ex: forced into "freshman orientation" (they test you on who the principals are), forced into Art I, and into keyboarding.

welcome to the American Education system. College will have the same types of forced classes.

Anyways, I don't think JROTC should be forced upon anyone. Having an organization where people are there on their own accord is good for everyone. How enjoyible are those events in school that can be classified as "manditory fun?" People who do not want to be in JROTC will give the program a feeling that could be compared to the military during Vietnam. Those who do not want to be there will ruin it for those who want to get something out of JROTC.

But my opinion comes without any JROTC experience. I do have 5 years of active duty, 3 years of reserve time and I am currently in ROTC at college. As for JROTC, I have tried to keep my opinion about the program inpartial. However, I have not been paticularly impressed by those soldiers who had JROTC experience on active duty. I speak these things to explain how I came to my opinion on this matter

Doody

Doody: I have no problem with being forced into classes, so long as I can derive some use from them. JROTC? Wish my highschool offered it.

I do mind being forces into classes that arent necessary. Such as art and ceramics. I also think its wrong that our ceramics program gets more funding than our science program. English,Math,Science,History maybe a second language, thats what school should be. Anything else you want to do can be done on your own time and with your own money.

Thank you, Rabs. I have to take 2 foreign language classes to graduate with honors (I'm on the valedictorian track) and of the honors classes I've taken, they're the only ones where I'm not a. re-learning information or b. getting spoonfed wrong info.

Now, if we had a class in duck hunting, hey... I wouldn't mind it:) But in all honesty, if my high school sponsored it, I wouldn't mind JROTC. Just give me somewhat of a choice in it.

What languages you takeing Ive gotten my French in and im done lol.

I wouldnt mind seeing them do away with the ROTC program here last year 0 percent actually went into the navy.

Tu hablas espanol bueno. (sorry lol i dropped spanish after my first year i hated it.)

ah, it's not so bad. Besides, being from Louisiana where most people speak pidgin French, ya kinda want some variety in your language.

Anyway, let's not get too far off topic.

I'm a bit undecided about this. I've seen cadets who were forced into a similar program who ended up getting a lot out of it, but I've also seen cadets who only make trouble because they're truly unhappy there. But there isn't anything more rewarding than seeing someone who didn't want to join up on the competition drill team, or at a summer course and loving it. I think that if JROTC is mandadtory though, then it wouldn't hurt anyone to be there.

(As for the French, you should hear what they speak where I live. I've never heard so much slang, english, and made up words used in all my life.)

you ain' got nuttin on us, ma cher, I've been in Canada. Laissez le bon temps roullez! Though the pidgin French speakers nowadays seem to be less in number.

made up words... we don't do that too much. If you can't place a name on something within 5 seconds, unwritten law is to call it a "deal"

"Man, I can't screw this, uh, uh, deal into the socket"

Last edited:
they dont force everyone into it but if you fail to choose your elective courses then they will automaticly place you in to the program, also if you are a new student the will place you, or if all other classes are full then they place you...but i chose to be in it and its been a great and useful class

The way I see it is as follows: I think it shouldn't be forced but it does provide beneficial skills. I wish my school had an ounce of military discipline. By me, there are no JROTC programs, you should also feel privileged to be apart of such a program.

If you made it mandatory, by default you'd get a lot of the SDS and peacenik types into the organization, and then you'd have a gigantic issue within the ranks on your hands. On the surface it looks good, but at that age most folks don't have the patience, discipline, or desire for that type of program.

jrotc is good, most lazy ass kids could us the extra discipline anyway=)

but it should be reorganized if they wanted to make it mandatory and make the structure alittle different.

Back