Man kicked off flight for Bush-bashing T-shirt

The very idea that potentially many can be killed, and at the very least people beaten up and injured because someone does not like the clothes someone else wears is a good reason not to travel by Qantas Airlines.

In this country (Australia) all businesses are bound by law to exercise a duty of care to those in their care. End of story, regardless of what crazy twist you try to put on the story there is no option.

We have a similar law about use and purchase of firearms and that is the reason why we have a level of homicide per capita about 8% of that in the USA.

Which is good for you, I do not want your country to become more like the USA, I do not want the USA to become more like your country.
I believe people and places are different, and that people and places should stay different.

Things are very different in the USA, where Rednecks would sue because someone wore a T-Shirt advocating homosexual lifestyles as a good thing, and no one stopped him or her from doing it, and black people would sue because a Redneck wore a T-Shirt with a Confederate Flag on it, but perhaps at a Southern Airport where things are just like that.... and on, and on, and on.

Last edited:
Things are very different in the USA, where Rednecks would sue because someone wore a T-Shirt advocating homosexual lifestyles as a good thing, and no one stopped him or her from doing it, and black people would sue because a Redneck wore a T-Shirt with a Confederate Flag on it, but perhaps at a Southern Airport where things are just like that.... and on, and on, and on.

We are very aware of that difference here, although the differences are becoming smaller with the global village effect. We too suffer from this crazy business where no one wants to take responsibility for their own stupidity, but instead when things go pear shaped they want to sue someone. Of course the main benefactors are always the lawyers.

I don't ever think things will be the same as they once were in this respect, but I live in hope that we can limit the damage.

Be interesting to see the outcome of the case, as the person in question seems more than happy to pursue legal recourse in civil court.

If he loses his case, I'd say the Airlines will have to come out with a very public policy for a dress code of sorts, merely to keep passengers from saying they are offended by this and that, when the Airlines may not view such as offensive.
If he wins his case, which is unlikely from my point of view, seeing how the Airlines had offered to allow him travel without his offending Shirt in plain view, but things happen, if he wins, I'd say the Airlines will still come out with Dress Code Policy.

I would agree that you are going to be proved right about the Dress Code. I'm not in favour of it, but like everyone else, even airlines must cover their a*se.

Which in my opinion would have been easier to avoid had the Airlines not stated that Passengers get to determine what others wear on the Flight so they will not personally be offended.

Qantas issued a statement saying comments made verbally or on a T-shirt which had the potential to offend other travelers or threaten the security of aircraft "will not be tolerated."

While Qantas alone seems to still be responsible for the security of its own Aircraft, and rightfully so. Mere Passengers in my opinion should never be given official responsibilities during their time with Qantas, such as Clothing Inspector and or Critic.
The very fact that other Airlines go in and out of your Nation I believe will sadly have a further reach then just Qantas.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think you'll find that the QANTAS quote about "other passengers" was done not because of any actual complaint by the passengers, but more to allay the possibility of a complaint which under the duty of care provisions they would have had to do something about anyway. They elected to "nip it in the bud".

As for other airlines, I feel that matters such as this will be left to the individual airlines concerned, as our laws have no effect on their business licencing and ability to conduct their business. The only control over overseas companies that we have, to my knowledge, is Customs and Immigration.

Businesses do not have to do business with everyone....They can pick and choose and deny as they feel fit, one could say it is their freedom of speech....

True and having worked for Aussies the last few years I am quite sure Senojekips is quite right in that this is an issue about, duty of care, the business being responsible for the well being of their customers while on their premises, in this case a plane. Couple that with the fact that most Aussies I have met will not just quietly debate you if they think you're full of bollocks... they'll call you on it and if you give em lip its on mate regardless of location. Its why I get on with them so well. :)

Just remember Wolf, all of this security scare, and sueing one another at the drop of a hat business started in your country, we here in Australia are merely trying to limit the carnage it causes and limit its spread.

Too Late! Too Late! she cried. There's not much chance of that.

I'll be the first to admit that Australia is far from perfect, and I don't always agree with the Government and all their rules, but in this case I can see an advantage for the travelling public.

My Country

The love of field and coppice
Of green and shaded lanes,
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins.
Strong love of grey-blue distance,
Brown streams and soft, dim skies
I know, but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of rugged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

The stark white ring-barked forests,
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon,
Green tangle of the brushes
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops,
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When, sick at heart, around us
We see the cattle die
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady soaking rain.

Core of my heart, my country!
Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine
She pays us back threefold.
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze…

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand
though Earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.

- Dorothea Mackeller on Australia

Can I get another shrimp on the.....DOH!!!!

Seno, it is never too late and what you speak of is something this country of the USA should be ashamed of!

Donkey,

It is easy for us to blame a country, when what we should be looking at are individuals within that country. I was guilty of this when I quoted "your country" and I apologise for that. It was lack of thought rather than a deliberate "shot" at your country. Never the less the guts of what I said still applies.:D

"That" advertisement is something that we real Aussies should be ashamed of, we don't eat shrimps here for a start, we have prawns, and any man who would cook them on a BBQ needs a brain transplant.

Back