Man gives kids 40 mm shell to play with; 2 killed, 5 hurt - Page 2

--

September 2nd, 2006  
Missileer

Back when I was an avid hunter, I hunted deer and squirrels at a Corps of Engineers lake and property in Paris, Texas. It was a WWII National Guard mortar and machine gun training range. I very carefully walked around the rusty tail fins protruding from the ground. I didn't need to read the sign that said don't pick anything up that you don't recognize.
September 2nd, 2006  
Donkey

Yeah and that isnt the only place that has left over ordinance from WWII
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attacks...g_World_War_II

I saw something on the Discovery channel that talked about there being a bunch of live ordinance from these fire ballons still scatered accross mainlands USA.
September 2nd, 2006  
Fox

That's a sad story. That man is an idiot.
--
September 3rd, 2006  
AlexKall

A true idiot and should be locked in a dark room!
September 22nd, 2006  
Obvious

Wow even a 12 yr old should know not to play with explosives. So the kids are also at fault as well.

Lol Kids got PWNED.
September 22nd, 2006  
AlexKall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obvious
Wow even a 12 yr old should know not to play with explosives. So the kids are also at fault as well.

Lol Kids got PWNED.

I just don't see the humor in two kids getting killed.
December 16th, 2006  
FO Seaman

WTF? What do people think? Even if it's marked inert or safe it's not a toy.
December 16th, 2006  
The Other Guy

There's a story in my family about how a couple of kids in Poland had found a land mine and started playing with it. It detonated, killing them both. This was in about 1974, 30+ years after it was planted.
December 17th, 2006  
masterblaster

Topic: explosives never can be trusted

as an EOD troop for over twenty years, I should know. I demilled a parot round for a friend that had been fired in 1865. the powder was still as good as when dupont made it. When the mary rose was raised, some of the cannons were sealed and loaded. The powder was still good. When the Mary rose sank, king henry VIII was watching. Never trust any explosives or munitions. i remember during the viet nam war, there was an accident at Utapoi air base. Munitions troops were unloading Mk-82 and M-117 bombs from a flat bed trailer by rolling then off the back. One blew up and killed the whole crew. These bombs are supposed to be safe enough to frop fuzed from 50,000 ft, yet an unfuzed one exploded after a fall of 4 feet.
December 20th, 2006  
Enfield476

When I was a kid, living in Hawaii (early to mid 60's), I came home from school to find that I couldn't go home, as my entire neighborhood had been evacuated. It turned out that one of the people on my block had discovered an interesting tid-bit left over from the Pearl Harbor attack stuck in an overhead beam in his attic. It turned out to be a 5"-38 round fired from who knows what ship or wherever. Even though I was only about ten at the time, I wondered then, and still do, why the owner at the time of the attack bothered to repair the roof without discovering the "what" of that which had made the hole! As it turned out, the shell WAS a live one, and probably would have flattened the house at any time. I have encountered many "safe" bits and pieces since, and have never trusted any of them. As some readers have indicated, the idiot whom owned this 40MM round should have been the KIA, not those precious kids.