MAMBA, no we're not going to dance.

AlexKall

Quite impressive, Anti Artillary Radar (Thats not really what the type of radar is called but it describes abit of its functions :))

Link: http://www.army.mod.uk/news/equipment_latest/mamba.htm

Norway is also in on the cake, making the display units (think the company make protected displays, or something like that.

Do you think more countries will buy this type of equipment? Is there much difference between different units (made by different companys) in you're opinion/knowlage?

Do you think it saves alot of lives and is valuble on the battlefield?

That's really cool, thanks for the link. It says it is effective but doesn't really give much detail. My only question is, how long are shells in the air? I mean, I would think that by the time you notice it on radar and report it, wouldn't the first one already have fallen? And how do they tell the difference between, like, a bird and an artillery shell? I'm just wondering but if it works that is really cool.

This thing isnt as new as it says.
artillery radars are since severeal years in duty. the only new thin is that it also can track missiles, i cant remember if the usual ones have this capability too.
the german army uses artillery radar to detect enemy artilley sites since 2000 i think. and i think most of the Nato members too

They are refering to the MAMBA radar, which is new. The consept is far from new as you say. USA have several of these types of radars.

My guess is that it can "see" the difference between a bird and a shell, as a bird doesn't fly like a shell ;)

I'm not sure if MAMBA is a export version of the Arthur or if its actually a newer type of radar. Haven't found any real source for it. The Swedish radar is called Arthur.

I sent them an email asking :lol:

"That's really cool, thanks for the link. It says it is effective but doesn't really give much detail. My only question is, how long are shells in the air?"

Think that would be determined by how far it has to travel.

Can see some images from a scenario, unfortently the text is in swedish:

http://www.artreg.mil.se/attachments/presentation_arthur.pdf

Hehe aparently you get two 9040 for the price of one Arthur :D

Don't seem to be much iformation avalible about this Arthur nor the MAMBA (unless its the same heh)

Athur and MAMBA is aparently the same radar unit.

"Danish Army Specific: The Unimog U2150L/38 is delivered for transport of the artillery locating radar ARTHUR.
"ARTHUR" is a mobile, stand-alone weapon locating and artillery fire control radar. ARTHUR is designed to be operated in severe ECM environments, and uses a phased array antenna with techniques to suppress clutter and bird echoes. ARTHUR automatically detects shells from mortars, tube- and rocket artillery. The exact weapon position of the artillery is determined from measured ballistic data which is also used to estimate the impact area of both incoming and outgoing shells. Positioning of the system will be made by GPS and digitized maps. Data from the radar is automatically transmitted to a combat centre through an integrated command, control, communication and information (C3I) system, where the information is further evaluated and in hostile situations used to direct counter-battery fire.
The radar is effective from 3 to 40 kilometers. It´s capable of targeting 8 targets simultaneously and tracks up to 100 targets per minute.
The system was officially handed over on May 9th, at a ceremony at the Oksboel Training Area."

A bit of information regarding birds ;)

AlexKall said:
I'm not sure if MAMBA is a export version of the Arthur or if its actually a newer type of radar. Haven't found any real source for it. The Swedish radar is called Arthur.

I believe MAMBA is just the British version of ARTHUR.
Don't know if it's better/worse, or the same...

We use ARTHUR on BV206 in Norway, and the accuracy is quite impressive.
I can't give you any technical details, other than what you can find on official sites, since most of the info is classified
http://www.google.com/search?source...GGLD:2004-51,GGLD:en&q=arthur+artillery+radar

But it can certainly tell the difference between a bird and a shell..
How many birds do you know that travels over 200 meters/second.. ;)
And it doesn't need to "see" the missile/shell very long in order to calculate where it's fired from and where it's going to land.

Redleg said:
AlexKall said:

I believe MAMBA is just the British version of ARTHUR.
Don't know if it's better/worse, or the same...

We use ARTHUR on BV206 in Norway, and the accuracy is quite impressive.
I can't give you any technical details, other than what you can find on official sites, since most of the info is classified
http://www.google.com/search?source...GGLD:2004-51,GGLD:en&q=arthur+artillery+radar

But it can certainly tell the difference between a bird and a shell..
How many birds do you know that travels over 200 meters/second.. ;)
And it doesn't need to "see" the missile/shell very long in order to calculate where it's fired from and where it's going to land.

Good to hear from an artillary expert ;) Too bad that you don't fight your own weapon ;) Just kidding

Yeah as of what I read on ericssons homepage it is the same, but its hard to really know, as they put it in a weird way. It seems to have the same specs, although the site I supplied first talk about 20 KM, but arthur is capable of atleast 40 KM (supposivly never versions can do 60, but that was a civil person so I doubt it holds credibility)

One thing that I have wondered (actually im wondering that right now) if the radar works as a camera lens (love taking photos so I will use this as to discribe what I mean), meaning that if the range is extended the angle it operated will be lovered? In other means the field from left to right and from highest angle to lowest, without moving the dish, will be signifigantly lowered in number?

Like a 80 mm lens might have about 40 degrees in all direction but at 300 mm this will be lowered to around 8 degrees viewing field.

Was that clear enough?`heh

This type of radar is actually quote old, but no doubt like everything else gets better and better all the time.

Maybe I'm confused but that's never stopped me from talking before ;)

Yeah, counter-battery radar has been around for a while, but I thought this radar was some sort of early-warning device... is it? If so, how much warining time would you have. Hence my question about artillery shell hang time since I know that tank projectiles fly at about a mile per second. At that rate you would have between 1/2 second and 15 seconds of time between the shell being fired and hitting the target. But artillery fires in an angle instead of a relatively straight line so I cannot deduce what kind of warning time you have. There I've laid my thought process out so I can get a clear answer on just how much early-warning time you get with the radar.

Whispering Death said:
Maybe I'm confused but that's never stopped me from talking before ;)

Yeah, counter-battery radar has been around for a while, but I thought this radar was some sort of early-warning device... is it? If so, how much warining time would you have. Hence my question about artillery shell hang time since I know that tank projectiles fly at about a mile per second. At that rate you would have between 1/2 second and 15 seconds of time between the shell being fired and hitting the target. But artillery fires in an angle instead of a relatively straight line so I cannot deduce what kind of warning time you have. There I've laid my thought process out so I can get a clear answer on just how much early-warning time you get with the radar.

There seems to be no info regarding the time you get.

Its actually both, early warning and counter artillary radar. It can 100 shells a minute, giving this information to a artillary battary, with exact cordinates of the target.

Theres seems to be a problem to get info from Ericsson, they're always secreat about everything military equipment they make. :(

Back