Making guns at home?

dtisright

I'm a big fan of technology but this might be a little tricky . . .

According to this so called 3d printing technology, you can 'print' guns off from a computer:
http://gizmodo.com/3d-printed-guns-are-only-getting-better-and-scarier-1677747439

In fact, these files are literally free! I mean come on . . .
https://pinshape.com/items/11707-3d-printed-pistol-tactical-accessories-clamp

Is anyone here aware of this 3d gun printing? Is this legal or what? Like I said, big fan of tech, weaponry and 2nd amendment but this seems a bit too out there.

My understanding is that the materials available do produce a weapon but it is a single use one and right from the first attempt you are taking a lot of risks.

Personally I don't see any good coming from 3D generated firearms as it just appears to be an easy way of making an untracable, throw away firearm and how many law abiding people want that?

This is yet another item where people will be wanting to put the genie back in the bottle a few years from now I think.

I've been a firearms professional and I look upon 3D printed firearms with a lot of skepticism. The internal pressure generated by ammunition is considerable. Enough that "real" guns are made of ordnance steel and are proof tested by firing very heavy charges to insure that the firearm doesn't burst.
3D printing will give you something that looks like a gun, but I wouldn't want to fire a cartridge in one.
However, to commit a crime, sometimes all that is needed is something that looks like a gun. That will work as long as the other guy doesn't have a real piece.
Old saying - "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight" Don't bring a 3d printed one either.

Hi,
I don't think one should start making guns at home, untill there is a war going on and you want to do something for your country.

thanks

Hi,
I don't think one should start making guns at home, untill there is a war going on and you want to do something for your country.

thanks

Idea isn't bad at all to help the country people making gun. But I think this is not one person work. It's needed more people to help.

Certainly is legal in the USA. You can buy components of an AR 15 for example and assemble at home. Same with "muzzle loaders". Of course if you are a felon, you are not allowed to posses a firearm. 3D printed gun will not work. Neither are "plastic guns" for real. Example the Glock. It has a plastic grip, but barrel and mechanism are steel. A box cutter knife has killed way more people than any plastic "3d printed" gun.

Even I am confused about this. Can gun making is legit in Asia?

I imagine some parts of Asia making guns is legal.

The problem is there are very few specific laws to stop it as laws are generally rendered out of date very quickly by technological advances.

Who 30 years ago would have foreseen someone firing up the internet and printing out a workable firearm at home?

I think what you will find is that in most countries it isn't illegal to print out a firearm as there are no laws to cover the process but once it is printed it will fall under the countries existing firearms laws.

You bring your printed gun and I'll bring my Browning X-Bolt 6.5 Creedmore. We'll see which one prints the tightest groups at 1,000 meters. You pick your caliber and ammo. While you are at it, what to heck, print up a couple of hot women to pick up the brass.

Last edited:
I don't disagree that a manufactured firearm should be better than a printed one but in the hands of a guy robbing a store, I would suggest that it will still be convincing.

Back