Making A Difference

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
NBC
November 28, 2008

NBC Nightly News (NBC), 7:00 P.M.
BRIAN WILLIAMS: Our Friday night “Making A Difference” report comes as we remember those in uniform during Thanksgiving time. We’ve reported before on the sometimes rocky transition between the battlefield and home. Tonight, the story of a soldier wounded in Iraq who’s now helping others and healing himself.
His story from NBC’s Kevin Tibbles.
CHILDREN: (From tape.) I pledge allegiance to the flag –
KEVIN TIBBLES: The pledge resonates a little deeper here at Ft. Carson’s Patriot Elementary. Most of these kids have a mom or a dad fighting in Iraq.
SGT. CARLOS BARRETO [U.S. Army]: (From tape.) I was injured over there.
TIBBLES: Their teaching assistant, complete in desert camouflage, is 41-year-old Sgt. Carlos Barreto.
CARLOS BARRETO: (From tape.) The shrapnel hit the ceiling and bounced on my neck.
TIBBLES: Barreto suffered brain and neck injuries in Iraq when a roadside bomb tore through his Humvee. He now battles headaches and memory loss.
CARLOS BARRETO: (From tape.) Good job.
TIBBLES: He’s part of Ft. Carson’s 600-strong Warrior Transition Unit for soldiers unable to return to active duty. But Mr. Carlos, as he’s known here, is the only one who comes to school as part of his therapy.
DENISE COUNTRYMAN [Teacher]: (From tape.) I only have dads who are gone, so having a dad who’s here helps keep them grounded – that there is a dad and they do come home.
TIBBLES: Not only have his brain functions improved, Carlos now finds himself answering questions from kids who miss mom or dad or both.
MARCUS BROWN [Age 10]: (From tape.) He’s showed us, like, it’s not all that bad and you don’t always get hurt, that you can come home safe to your family.
COL. GEORGE BRANDT [Evans Community Hospital Chief of Behavioral Health]: (From tape.) He’s giving while he’s growing himself. And that just speaks to his ethos and how he’s internalized being here to make a difference.
TIBBLES: In the playground, this kindergarten sarge is in big demand, even if it’s just to hold hands. Making that move from the battlefield to the classroom is also helping heal a shattered sense of trust.
TAMMY BARRETO [Sgt. Barreto’s Wife]: (From tape.) When he got home, he was very cautious about everybody – you know, how everybody looked walking down the street, you know, what is he doing.
CARLOS BARRETO: (From tape.) But with the kids – I turn my back on them and all I hear is just laughing and giggling.
TIBBLES: One of the kids Mr. Carlos closely watches over: his first grader son Carlos, Jr.
CARLOS BARRETO: (From tape.) Love you.
TAMMY BARRETO: (From tape.) I didn’t realize how wonderful the experience has been for him.
TIBBLES: Serving on the home front for kids whose parents can’t be there – just part of being a good soldier.
Kevin Tibbles, NBC News, Ft. Carson, Colorado.

Back