It makes me sick.

I know a number of people who say they won't vote because they don't want to vote "for the wrong candidate". Honestly, how superficial are they? You're pathetic.

Just got home from a heated debate on the 'Iraq Withdrawl' and let me tell you, im in a very aggresive mood. I hate how kid's these days think it's cool to hate America, walking to class Monday I heard, "..You could join the Army.." the response was ":cen: the Army and :cen:America."
I mean what the hell, when did it become so cool to hate America and it's members of the Armed forces.

:box::box::box::box::box::box:

I hate to say it, but this is usually what happens in unpopular wars. I have read similar comments made about Abe Lincoln, the Union Army, and the Civil War made by Irish immigrants in NY when the Civil War was a less than popular affair in 1863.

Were the Irish immigrants accepted into America at the time specifically to fight the Confederates? Did they not sway the balance? I have heard this scenario put forward, and it could explain the Irish attitude MM describes.

Were the Irish immigrants accepted into America at the time specifically to fight the Confederates? Did they not sway the balance? I have heard this scenario put forward, and it could explain the Irish attitude MM describes.

I dunno about swaying the balance because the Union always outnumbered the Confederacy by at least 2-1 and often it was 3-1. However when the draft was announced many of those recruited were Irish immigrants drafted right off of the boat. Incidentally the Irish fought for both sides, there was a famous moment at Fredericksberg where a Confederate Irish Brigade fired on a Union Irish Brigade -both units consisted mainly of immigrants from Cork, Ireland. One of many tragic events of that epic struggle...

This conscription amongst the Irish community caused a fury against the US Government, the Union Army, Black people and anything else associated with the war effort. It was this anger of the Irish in NYC that led to the great Draft Riots in NYC in July 1863 a riot that was so bad Lincoln had to order Meade (whom had just won a Major Victory Gettysberg 3 days before) to stop pursuing Lee and execute a March at the double-quick right into lower Manhattan to squash it.

Yes, the riot scene was based on a true event. Except the riot started due to protesting the draft lottery, not a fictional gang war (although the Dead Rabbits gang and others really did exist at that time).

Last edited:
I dunno about swaying the balance because the Union always outnumbered the Confederacy by at least 2-1 and often it was 3-1. However when the draft was announced many of those recruited were Irish immigrants drafted right off of the boat. Incidentally the Irish fought for both sides, there was a famous moment at Fredericksberg where a Confederate Irish Brigade fired on a Union Irish Brigade -both units consisted mainly of immigrants from Cork, Ireland. One of many tragic events of that epic struggle...

This conscription amongst the Irish community caused a fury against the US Government, the Union Army, Black people and anything else associated with the war effort. It was this anger of the Irish in NYC that led to the great Draft Riots in NYC in July 1863 a riot that was so bad Lincoln had to order Meade (whom had just won a Major Victory Gettysberg 3 days before) to stop pursuing Lee and execute a March at the double-quick right into lower Manhattan to squash it.
Dang, that bad huh:bored:

Back