Majority of Americans lack faith in Obama: poll

Rob, Do you think the allegations of voter intimidation by the Black Panthers raised by the former justice department lawyer have merit? Between that and the concern raised over Al Franken's election, I am not surprised that the President is taking the hit. His AG is the one that dismissed the case vs the Black Panthers and ACORN may have had something to do with Frankens election.

BTW, Minnesota is not going to do anything about Franken. His election was certified and I agree that there is no point wasting money having another election.

Philadelphia Voter Intimidation case Dropped by AG Holder
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203550604574361071968458430.html

Al Franken Voter Fraud Investigation
http://www.frugal-cafe.com/public_h...ings-show-convicted-felons-voted-in-election/
Not enough to turn the tide. McCain was going to lose that election.

I don't think that's the point.
Voter intimidation is wrong regardless of who is going to win or not.
Protecting those who intimidate voters is also wrong.

I think you are are missing the point. Who has Obama disappointed the most? The Conservative Republicans who were against him from before day 1 and were never going to be behind him no matter what he did?

Or are his polls down because he lost his democratic base?

Contrary to what people might think, Obama has pulled to the RIGHT because he though by doing so he could get bipartisanship. Instead it made him look weak to the right and a traitor to the left who were the ones who got him elected. THATS why his polls are down. Its the liberal base that has lost faith in him, the conservatives never believed in him at all.

This was the Liberal Agenda when Obama took Office:

Withdraw from Iraq
Withdraw from Afghanistan
Repeal the Bush Tax Cuts
Close Gitmo
Begin criminal proceedings against the previous administration
Repeal the Patriot Act, the illegal wiretaps, the policy of rendition
Push for Universal healthcare
Fix the economy
Tighten enviromental laws
Knock Big Business Back
demand greater Fed control of Wall Street
Punish Wall Street for the economic meltdown

How much did he actually accomplish of the above list? Now you know why the liberals are mad at him and why his polls suck.

Agree, with you 100% He lost his base for not fulling his campaign promises. It is very logical to lose support when you do not follow through. Basically made pie in the sky promises that he new he couldn't keep. Sucked in all the young immature voters.

George, it is blatantly obvious that you fall right into the category I mentioned previously. The category of those who clearly do not realize the massive undertaking that is attempting to pull one of the largest countries in the world out of an economic recession. I will personally guarantee you that neither you, nor John McCain, nor Sarah Palin could do any better in the allotted amount of time. When I vote, I do not vote with the idea that the politician I vote for is going to fix all the problems he promises to fix, cure all the diseases he promises to cure, or ban all the things he promises to ban; I vote for a politician that is going to screw up (in my opinion) the least. When I was presented with Barack Obama or John McCain, the choice was BLINDINGLY obvious as to which one would get my vote. We just got out of the worst presidential term in history (that's fact, not opinion). Now, if John McCain voted in AGREEMENT with the man who just suffered the worst presidential term in history over 90% of the time, WHY ON EARTH would I vote for him? WHY ON EARTH would I vote for 8 more years of the same right wing, ignorant, "bestest in the whole wide world and we don't care what anyone else says" attitude?

I digress. Like mmarsh said, show me where Obama has been the ultimate Lefty politician trying to take the country in a direction it doesn't want to go...

(By the way, please remember that Obama didn't change his campaign promises once he was elected, so clearly SOME of the country wanted to go there. Enough to get him elected POTUS, anyway.)

Yes, he just did not follow through on them. I would think not fulfilling your promise of change would lose you some support from even naive young voters.

How about a little STFU?

Oh, what a magnificent and intelligent response. About what we have all come to expect.:lol:

We just got out of the worst presidential term in history (that's fact, not opinion). Now, if John McCain voted in AGREEMENT with the man who just suffered the worst presidential term in history over 90% of the time, WHY ON EARTH would I vote for him? WHY ON EARTH would I vote for 8 more years of the same right wing, ignorant, "bestest in the whole wide world and we don't care what anyone else says" attitude?
I digress. Like mmarsh said, show me where Obama has been the ultimate Lefty politician trying to take the country in a direction it doesn't want to go...
(By the way, please remember that Obama didn't change his campaign promises once he was elected, so clearly SOME of the country wanted to go there. Enough to get him elected POTUS, anyway.)
BTW, it's independent.
Just because Libs have been chanting the mantra of "worse(isn't worst meat?) Prez in history" for 8 years doesn't make it fact, I pick Carter. The 90% thing is meaningless without knowing 1. what % the other Republicans voted with Bush, there a huge number of procedural votes that add up. And 2. what was the 10%? Was it important stuff vs the routine stuff? You might be too young to remember, but McCain spent most of the Bush years voting with the Dems on important items attempting to achieve 2 things. 1. I think he did it because he liked annoying Bush. 2. More importantly knowing that the Liberal Press fawns on Republicans who don't tow the Party line he was chasing the "Maverick Republican" Title that the Press did give him. Voting on the Dem. side on many issues & soliciting them to vote for him in Open Primarie States has him in trouble now back home.

No George, except maybe for James Buchanan, Bush was the worst.

Almost Everything you can criticize Obama about predates his presidency. With the exception of AIDS work in Africa (which I will admit Bush did a good job) everything Bush touched was a disaster, both foreign and domestic. Even Carter had more success with the Camp David Accords and the SALT II treaty (which Bush destroyed with his white elephant Missile Defense program).

Obama is in decline because people think he failed to deliver what he promised. BUT nobody (except the sheep who only listen to FOX NEWS) actually believe he is responsible for the mess. We were all alive and ticking during the Bush Administration, and some of us remember Carter (I do). I am not going to lie and say Carter wasn't a bad president, but he was infinitely better than Bush. You cannot attempt to rewrite history as you'd like it and pretend we were not there at the time.

Obama is in decline because people think he failed to deliver what he promised. BUT nobody (except the sheep who only listen to FOX NEWS) actually believe he is responsible for the mess. We were all alive and ticking during the Bush Administration, and some of us remember Carter (I do). I am not going to lie and say Carter wasn't a bad president, but he was infinitely better than Bush. You cannot attempt to rewrite history as you'd like it and pretend we were not there at the time.
How many were clueless about his agenda & policies? Certainly his Leftist Base was dialed in, but he was elected by people sick of Bush & cought up in the rock star hype & glamor campaign & mesmerized by empty slogans like "Change we can believe in" w/o most having any clue what he meant. They were all cought up in the moment of making history by electing the 1st black President who was cool & a good speaker if teleprompter equipped. Like Mathews they were getting a thrill running up thier leg, but many are now realizing that they don't like what is going on.
The remember thing was for Rob, in refrence to his "McCain will be 8 more years of Bush" comment. He might not be old enough to remember McCain the Maverick voting with the Dems on a lot of things, trying to curry favor with the Press & trying to be an aisle crosser, ect.

Agree, with you 100% He lost his base for not fulling his campaign promises. It is very logical to lose support when you do not follow through. Basically made pie in the sky promises that he new he couldn't keep. Sucked in all the young immature voters.

Yes, he just did not follow through on them. I would think not fulfilling your promise of change would lose you some support from even naive young voters.

Oh, what a magnificent and intelligent response. About what we have all come to expect.:lol:
Wonderful. So we've officially recognized that Chukpike agrees with us. Without... Adding... Anything of his own... BRILLIANT!

(LOL @ ACoM)

George... Sorry friend, I should've known I must post sources (that will probably be ignored/dismantled anyway). Here we are...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/01/bush.poll/

But, of course, it's from the Communist News Network, so it MUST be slanted AGAINST the GOP, right?

George... Sorry friend, I should've known I must post sources (that will probably be ignored/dismantled anyway). Here we are...

But, of course, it's from the Communist News Network, so it MUST be slanted AGAINST the GOP, right?
That's the Clinton News Network......Note that its "modern" not "of all time" & it's about unpopularity not how good a job the Prez was doing.. Also this isn't the decision of a board of (hopefully unbiased) history Profs/scholars but a public opinion poll by people who'd rather be voting about American Idol or Dancing with the stars.

Wonderful. So we've officially recognized that Chukpike agrees with us. Without... Adding... Anything of his own... BRILLIANT!

(LOL @ ACoM)

Rob, The only concern I have about this poll is that it was done in 2008.

Obama Approval Jan 2010 (1 year in office) 49% (Gallup)
http://www.pollster.com/polls/us/jobapproval-obama.php

Bush Approval Jan 2001 (1 Year in office) >80%.
http://www.pollster.com/blogs/matt_bai_wrong_on_presidential.php
This is likely due to Sept 11 bombings. Even so his approval rating was just over 50% prior to the attacks.

What is more troubling to me is the abysmal rating that congress is getting.
17.6% approval rating is a sign that the congress is doing it wrong.
http://www.pollster.com/polls/us/jobapproval-congress.php

No one seems to care that it is congress that controls the purse strings.

My concern is that the president is using his office to condone a radical racial agenda. Since the former JD lawyer has levelled allegations against the AG and the JD, the JD has been silent. I wonder why?

Rob, The only concern I have about this poll is that it was done in 2008.

Obama Approval Jan 2010 (1 year in office) 49% (Gallup)
http://www.pollster.com/polls/us/jobapproval-obama.php

Bush Approval Jan 2001 (1 Year in office) >80%.
http://www.pollster.com/blogs/matt_bai_wrong_on_presidential.php
This is likely due to Sept 11 bombings. Even so his approval rating was just over 50% prior to the attacks.

What is more troubling to me is the abysmal rating that congress is getting.
17.6% approval rating is a sign that the congress is doing it wrong.
http://www.pollster.com/polls/us/jobapproval-congress.php

No one seems to care that it is congress that controls the purse strings.

My concern is that the president is using his office to condone a radical racial agenda. Since the former JD lawyer has levelled allegations against the AG and the JD, the JD has been silent. I wonder why?
You took two different polls, Hokie. The Obama poll was a Job Approval whereas the Bush poll was overall.

http://www.pollster.com/polls/us/jobapproval-bush.php

There's Bush's job approval.

Rob,
You will notice that the bush poll you cited does not cover his first year in office. That is why I used the other one. The point that I was trying to make was that both Obama and Bush had comparible approval ratings near the end of their first year.

Ultimately I don;t thnk it matters who is in office. They start out popular right after the election, then they get into office and their approval slowly starts to decline. Occasionally you have an event (Bush had 9/11) that will boost ratings. But as we all know, his approval dropped again. This is in large part due to the extremely short attention span of the American public. It is likely to happen to Obama as well.

Couldn't agree with you more. I'm again talking out my fourth point, having done absolutely no research on this particular point, but I wonder if ANY president has had a significantly high approval rating immediately after leaving office. Aside from the early ones, like Washington, who was actually begged to run for a third term.

Ultimately I don;t thnk it matters who is in office. They start out popular right after the election, then they get into office and their approval slowly starts to decline. Occasionally you have an event (Bush had 9/11) that will boost ratings. But as we all know, his approval dropped again. This is in large part due to the extremely short attention span of the American public. It is likely to happen to Obama as well.

True, but there are exceptions to this rule. Ronald Reagan for one, his polls continually dropped throughout his terms till it was just above 50%, then shot up to almost 60% the moment he left office.

Bill Clinton poll numbers remained fairly constant throughout his terms, like Reagan he finished higher when he left office than during, although the gap wasn't as impressive as Reagans.

Last edited:
Back