Major Charles White Whittlesey Quotes

A

Anonymous

Does any one know of any quotes said by Major Charles White Whittlesey who was Commander of the Lost Battalion during WWI. Does anyone know any quotes said by him? My email is Raptorman2588@netscape.net

David

Hey David, I'll see what I can dig up. It may take awhile, but when our forum administer comes back(Hes on leave blowing stuff up) we will probobly get you an answer.

Did we ever find any?

I've looked all over the net and haven't found any. Has anyone else had any luck?

David

No, but I'll keep looking. I seem to remember seeing a quote from him somewhere along the line. If you're interested in him and the Lost Battalion, you should check out A&E's film "The Lost Battalion," it's really spectacular.

It's hard to find any good quotes by Whitlessey.

One quote that has been attributed to him is "Go to Hell."
When he was asked German officer to surrender at Argonne.
But this is a false quote. Whitlessey himself has denied that he said this.

I'll try to did up some quotes by him.

One quote from the Movie "The lost Batallion"
"I will lead my battalion into the Argonne, but I doubt if you will
see me or my men again."

(I have found no proof that he actually did say this in real life...)

I found the following quote at: http://www.usarc.army.mil/77thrsc/

"For three days, the unit repulsed repeated German attacks. The Germans sent a note urging surrender. Major Charles S. Whittlesey, commander of the unit, replied "Come and get us." An act for which he was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor."

Heya.

Qoute from the movie:

''Life would be a lot simpler if we could choose our duties and obligations. But we can't, and we shouldn't.''

Back