Main Battle Tank Battle

No one mentioning the Leopard 2IS? And dont say its the same as the Leopard 2A6 as its not even made by the german company, although that problem still stands that its not been combat proven. Its a shame, but they dont need those tanks in peacekeeping missions :lol:

Heres some specification of the Swedish version:

Stridsvagn (Strv) 122 : The Swedish Defense Materiel Administration (FMV) signed a contract with Krauss-Maffei for the manufacture and delivery of 120 Leopard 2-S officially designated as the Stridsvagn 122 by the Swedish Army. The contract also includes the supply of training, maintenance, spare parts, documentation, simulators, and an option to purchase 90 additional Strv 122, Bueffel ARV as well as interfaces for equipment already used by the Swedish Army. While Krauss-Maffei is the prime contractor, the chassis was sub-contracted to Hägglunds in Sweden. Wegmann, the prime contractor for the turret, sub-contracted the work to Bofors, and work for the fire control system was sub-contracted from STN Atlas Elektronik (formerly Krupp Atlas Elektronik, KAE) to Celsius Tech Systems AB in Sweden. Bofors will also manufacture 50 per cent of the 120 mm main guns, while Rheinmetall will produce the other half.
The Stridsvagn 122 is the most sophisticated version of the Leopard 2 in current service. The front hull and glacis are fitted with additional armor plates, and the inside of the tank is completely surrounded by liner, to reduce the effects of being hit by projectiles, hollow charges or fragments. For night driving the driver uses the same type of passive night sight used by the CV 90 Infantry Fighting Vehicle. Due to the heavier combat weight of 62,000 kg, compared to the 59,500 kg of the German Leopard 2 A5, stronger torsion bars (derived from the ones used with the Panzerhaubitze 2000) are installed and reinforced brake disks are provided. All fuel tanks have a special additional explosion-supressing filling liquid. The engine compartment is constantly cooled to reduce the IR signature, and heat sensors installed in the engine compartment would automatically cut off fan and air intake operation if the Strv 122 should come under attack by napalm. the roadwheels are fitted with armored wheel hubs.
The turret front and sides have the same wedge-shaped add-on armor as the Leopard 2 A5 but, unlike the latter, the turret roof and the commander's and loader's hatches are also up-armored. Due to the extra weight, both turret hatches were of the electrically-driven sliding type, but this was abandoned because of the problem of opening the hatches if there was a power out. Now the turret hatches are handcrancked with a gear, so its no problem to operate them even if the tank is in a bad angle. The commander's periscope has an manually operated protective flap, which would fold up to protect the optic when desired and rests in front of it when not in use. The digital fire control computer carries data for up to 12 different rounds, including APFSDS-T, HEAT-MP-T, HEAT-GP, smoke, anti-helicopter and training ammunition. However, at the time this is being written (August, 2001), only five types of ammunition are being used: 120mm APFSDS-T, 120mm HE-T, 25mm APFSDS-T, 25mm HE, and 120 mm TPFSDS-T. The 25mm is for a barrel insert system, and used for basic training on closer fire ranges. Smoke, HEAT and helicopter rounds are not in use. The helicopter round is under development. The laser rangefinder integrated in the EMES-15 uses the eye-safe Raman-shifted laser. The Strv 122 is the first MBT in Europe equipped with the advanced tank command and control system (TCCS). On the left and right sides of the turret the GIAT Industries GALIX vehicle protection system with 80 mm calibre mortars is installed, able to launch smoke, decoy, flare and fragmentation rounds. There are 36 grousers (snowgrips), 18 for each track, for use on soft ground instead of the same number of rubber track pads.There are 18 grousers stored on the back of the turret and 18 are stored inside the left turret. The Stridsvagn 122 is painted in a disruptive camouflage scheme of green, light green, and black colours.

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/leo2.htm

Its a bit old though.

Well..you guys sure do know your tanks...

If I had my druthers, id say I like the tanks described in David Drakes "Hammers Slammers" series of Sci-Fi war novels. So let me ask you tankers this: Is it possible that if they had fusion or an unlimited source of power, that a tank could ride on an air cushion and be an all terrain master as described in these novels?

I know im off subject, but i am just curious: I always loved to read the stories dealing with the Tank warfare aspects of Sci-Fi.

:tank:

i would rather choose T-92U, or even better a T-95 the best tank in the world. It has reactive armor that is very well built. If anyone want's to arguee with me go right ahead i'm waiting :)

Ok I don't have the expertise to go into details here, but reactive armor "reacts" to a projectile hitting the vehicle with greater than 200 pounds of pressure I believe, it redirects the force of the projectile/charge away from the main body/crew compartment of the vehicle via an internal charge.

What we are forgetting is the training and skill factor of the crews in the tanks. A well trained platoon of T-72s will be able to take a platoon of rookie M1s. A platoon of Swedish Centurions took a company of Strv-121s in training out. This is one reason why the Gulf war went so well for the Coalition, U.S crews are quite simply the best trained in the world. The NTC gives near battle experience to soldiers.

ok

U.S crews are quite simply the best trained in the world

We are trying to avoid, "whos best" arguments!!!!!

Now, as to the training, this is true(Israeli Shermans took on T62s) but still also offtopic. Stay on-toppic please.

true, but the T-72 has an autoloader, that's bad bussiness, it will load a shell automaticly, but the tank cannon and turret have to swing back to a preset setting, basicly it goes to the tank version of "attention" which does a coupel things, let's everyone know you are loading, it can take tiem that is supposed to be saved AND it eliminates a 4th and possibly valuable crewmember

If I had the opportunity to choose one of those tanks then I would like the T-90M or S for European battle (fields) forest and so on. The M1A2 and the Challenger 2E are good tanks in conditions there the roads and the ground are not to heavily damaged. I find out that in Bosnia there was some problems with the M1 tanks. They were to heavy for the ground on some parts. Thats why I would choose a T-90M or S.

In Desert conditions and with a lot of open terrain and a good air cover I would prefer the M1A2 or the Challenger tank. Or If the Merkava 4 was on pictures on main post I would take that one for a ride in the desert undoubtly before the M2 and the Challenger.

If there would be a country with bad infrastructure or a lot of djungels and there was no tanks greater than the T-80 or T-55AMs I could think of the Russian T-62 but with some modifications - I would take the BM BULAT Modernisation of T-64B Battle Tank from Kharkiv Morozov Machine Building Design Bureau (KMDB). T-62 is still a good tank If you just have the up-to-date Upgrade Packages for the vehicles.

http://www.morozov.com.ua/images/bulat07l.jpg

Cheers:
Doc.S

:viking:

Correction of my own.... :roll:

What I mean is that I would rather have an T-64B upgraded then a T-62 because there are no in common with T-64B and the T-62 when it is two different tanks. From the beginning the T-64B did have the same main gun a 115mm as the T-62 but in later production there was the "infamous" 125mm gun. What I meant was that a T-64B BM BULAT is what I would choose.

Cheers:
Doc.S

:viking:

No mention of the swedish tank? True it hasnt been battle tested, although the Leo 1 was in bosnia and the Leo 2 A4 is used by the dans in kosovo :) I guess there arnt many tanks there though :lol:

Back