Magpul Masada

A-Pod

Anyone ever heard of the Magpul Masada before? Seems like it owns. Here is the link so you can check it out, it was shown on the Discovery Channel:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJhPMIVgF6c"]YouTube - Future Weapons: Magpul Masada (Bushmaster ACR / Remington ACR)[/ame]

And it is a good concept weapon. Only problem I have had with it is it tends to overheat quickly when shooting 5.56 NATO. Nothing wrong with a standard AR piston driven platform if you want to save yourself some money.

Anyone ever heard of the Magpul Masada before? Seems like it owns. Here is the link so you can check it out, it was shown on the Discovery Channel:

YouTube - Future Weapons: Magpul Masada (Bushmaster ACR / Remington ACR)

The Masada was designed by Magpul and the rights were sold to Bushmaster. Bushmaster released it back in '09 and it's been a Cluster F£ck since day one.

The Magpul design was for it to be a modular short stroke piston rifle weighing in around 6.5lbs and was to have a market price of around $1,500. The upper receiver is the serialized component, thus the lower receiver would not be a FFL Item and could be ordered without the need of a dealer. The plan was for it to be able to change the barrel, bolt, and lower and run different calibers and magazine platforms. If you were to change it to a 7.62x39mm and wanted to run with AK-47 magazines. You could. I have the original 2007 SHOT Show flyer from when Magpul unveiled the design.

Bushmaster did the exact opposite. They made it weigh in at 9lbs, have a non chrome lined 1/9 twist M4 barrel, and they have no released any caliber conversion kits for it. Also at the 2009 SHOT Show, when Bushmaster reviled that the price of the Basic rifle was $3,000 and the Enhanced rifle was $3,500 the market turned sour. I was there and saw it. The FN Rep went to Bushmaster and said "Thanks for increasing our SCAR Sales." The charging handle hits the upper receiver and is causing peening. Also as of right now every single ACR that is out on the market has a recall on it because the rifles will go full auto when they're not supposed to.

The big issue with the barrel is that Bushmaster went the cheap route and simply got their M4 Barrels and slapped the ACR gas block on them. They even has the M4 grenade cut on them. The Magpul design was for it to be Light weight Medium Contour barrel in a 1/7 twist so the 77gr rounds can be shot accurately. Also the Basic Model didn't come with rails or a folding stock. That was $500 extra and only came on the enhanced model.

The FN SCAR is under $3,000 and comes with everything. Rails, folding stock, no recall issues, no design flaws, etc.... also the SCAR is a combat proven design. The US Military along with a number of police agencies have used to SCAR.

The ACR has been used in Modern Warfare 2 and some screen time in Terminator Salvation. That's it.... No one has adopted for us.

I was going to get a ACR but instead after the 2009 SHOT Show fiasco; I went with a MSAR XM17-E4 Bullpup rifle.

And it is a good concept weapon. Only problem I have had with it is it tends to overheat quickly when shooting 5.56 NATO. Nothing wrong with a standard AR piston driven platform if you want to save yourself some money.

You have a Bushy ACR?

well that sucks... damn you bushmaster, you ruined what could have been one of the best guns ever.

You have a Bushy ACR?

I do. You know I am not overly impressed with it honestly. I have never had a malfunction or anything. It has a nice smooth feel as far as the control operation and the action, but the controls do feel a bit "plasticy" and I worry about their durability. I do notice that despite being stamped as 5.56 NATO it overheats when shooting M855. I have a buddy that also has an ACR and he doesnt have that problem, but he has a problem with it cycling .223 Remmington UMC ammo (Which I dont).

Also, Bushmaster made it really easy to send it in at no cost to us, which is cool, but from the sounds of it they dont have the most knowledgable CS staff. One dude complaining about failure to extract sent it in and Bushmaster installed a bushing to the barrel and polished the feed ramp. Not the solution I would look at.

Hello Guys,

Perhaps a wrong place to put this up. When I was in the army we had the Swedish version of the German G-3. 7,62x51 nice caliber, it had a punch, then we shifted to the Swedish version of the FNC 5,56x45, much nicer to carry around, but if felt like a toy.

I have seen these two "new" calibers, the 6,8 SPC (The REC7, before that the M468 Remington from Barrett Firearms) and the 6,5 Grendel, is that the brand? It does not matter.

What are your opinion about these two "new" calibers? I have never fired any of them so I do not know. But I like it, I have allways veiwed the 5,56 as a to weak caliber. Some hints from both Iraq, Afghanistan, and some reports from Somalia are showing the weakness of the 5,56 (The Blackhawk Down event)

I am sorry if this has been discussed before here on this forum

take care

Ghostrider

Hello Guys,

Perhaps a wrong place to put this up. When I was in the army we had the Swedish version of the German G-3. 7,62x51 nice caliber, it had a punch, then we shifted to the Swedish version of the FNC 5,56x45, much nicer to carry around, but if felt like a toy.

I have seen these two "new" calibers, the 6,8 SPC (The REC7, before that the M468 Remington from Barrett Firearms) and the 6,5 Grendel, is that the brand? It does not matter.

What are your opinion about these two "new" calibers? I have never fired any of them so I do not know. But I like it, I have allways veiwed the 5,56 as a to weak caliber. Some hints from both Iraq, Afghanistan, and some reports from Somalia are showing the weakness of the 5,56 (The Blackhawk Down event)

I am sorry if this has been discussed before here on this forum

take care

Ghostrider

The 5.56x45mm isn't a bad round in of itself. The issue is that the current SS109 Nato Load was designed to defeat Soviet Body Armor and not soft targets (folks not wearing armor). There are loads for the 5.56x45mm that are great. The USMC is adopting a new load for it.

As for the 6.8 SPC. It's a fine cartridge that is seeing some limited use in the special forces community. It is gaining popularity here in the USA in the civilian market. I personally don't see the need to switch to it. But it is a good cartridge. The 6.5 Grendel isn't "new". It's been around for the last fifteen to twenty years. It's also a fine cartridge but it's designer Bill Alexander holds the patent to it and will not allow other companies to produce the cartridge without them paying a royalty fee. Les Baer Custom Inc developed the 264 LBC-AR. Which is the same cartridge but there is a slight difference in the measurements. Les Baer will allow ammo companies to produce that cartridge without a royalty fee and it will work in firearms chambered in 6.5 Grendel.

The problem with 5.56x45mm is the fact that the military uses a FMJ non expanding round. In police work here in the USA. We're not restricted to that and can use a proper expanding round; which makes the 5.56x45mm a deadly round and it does the job of putting people six feet under.

The majority of my "social" firearms are chambered in 5.56x45mm. I do not feel under armed with the caliber.

5202342434_59fea6eb12_b.jpg

Seven of those rifles shown in that picture are chambered in 5.56x45mm

Thank you. Perhaps you are viewing this as a hijaking of the thread. You do not think it will be better to have one caliber, such as 6,8 instead of using the FN-SCAR with two, or the Magpul Masada different settings? Just asking

take care

Ghostrider

Thank you. Perhaps you are viewing this as a hijaking of the thread. You do not think it will be better to have one caliber, such as 6,8 instead of using the FN-SCAR with two, or the Magpul Masada different settings? Just asking

take care

Ghostrider

Do I feel that the military should adopt another service caliber? Nope....

I think the military should drop the idea of the Hague Convention and it's restriction on ammunition.

1. The United States did not sign said convention.
2. The Hague Convention only applies to signatory combatants.
3. Terrorists do not fall under the Hague Convention anyways since they are not a uniformed force, openly carrying arms and waging war against military targets only.

7.62x51mm is a fine heavy hitter. 5.56x45mm is great as a standard issue caliber. Don't need something in between. All we need is modern designed expanding ammunition.

There is a great way to increase the efficacy of 5.56x45 (if you need to): shoot more than once.

And I assume that recall notice was there for me, and Im tracking. Just have to find the time to send it in. Sigh.

And as a side note, I am going to marry you and in the prenup, I get the guns. :)

In order to not completely hijack this topic and drift away, the concept weapon, the Magpul Masada was great, but some of the brilliance was lost when it was shared among the companies (Bushmaster is the only one to release so far, and it will be interesting to see if Remington learns from their compatriots mistakes). I look forward to the improvements and adaptions that will inevitably come out.

There is a great way to increase the efficacy of 5.56x45 (if you need to): shoot more than once.

And I assume that recall notice was there for me, and Im tracking. Just have to find the time to send it in. Sigh.

And as a side note, I am going to marry you and in the prenup, I get the guns. :)

In order to not completely hijack this topic and drift away, the concept weapon, the Magpul Masada was great, but some of the brilliance was lost when it was shared among the companies (Bushmaster is the only one to release so far, and it will be interesting to see if Remington learns from their compatriots mistakes). I look forward to the improvements and adaptions that will inevitably come out.

Prenup? Till death do us part. It's a goal I work towards......

Remington is now owned by the same parent company that owns Bushmaster, Remingotn, DPMS, Marlin, H&R, New England, Dakota Arms, LC Smith, Parker, AAC, Barnes Bullets, Eotac, and INTC.

So in the end Remington might not change anything in the design. When Bushmaster bought the design from Magpul; the deal was this. Remington will handle LEO and Mil sales and Bushmaster will handle civilian sales.

love in the air? Thats amore.

Sorry, I could not resist, hahahah

Back to the Magpul Masada, still love, or lub as some scammers call it.

take care

Ghostrider

Hello,

nice pictures of nice things. I have a question. I am a bit confused by the laws of arms in the U.S. Is it allowed to have assault rifles as a civilian? The second ad of the constitution allows the people to be armed but does it allow people to have military weapons?

take care

Ghostrider

Hello,

nice pictures of nice things. I have a question. I am a bit confused by the laws of arms in the U.S. Is it allowed to have assault rifles as a civilian? The second ad of the constitution allows the people to be armed but does it allow people to have military weapons?

take care

Ghostrider

My friend... in the USA if you do you're paper work properly and pay your taxes you can own artillery pieces and tanks. Some places in the USA are more restrictive (Cities and some States) and there are federal (National Government) laws that restrict ownership on some items but pretty much we can own what we want except nuclear, biological, or chemical weapons.

Machine Guns that were made before May of 1986 can be legally owned by Americans in most places. Semi-Automatic rifles are 99% legal in most places, same with pistols and shotguns. We have a couple of oddball laws.

Rifles cannot have barrels shorter then 16 inches and the weapon must not have a overall length shorter then 26 inches when stocks are extended. Shotguns are the same except the barrel must be 18 inches or longer. Pistols cannot have stocks attached to them. If they do then they are "short barreled rifles" and thus illegal. Anything over a .50 Caliber is illegal unless it is a shotgun or a muzzle loading firearm or antique firearm.

Machine Guns, Short Barreled Rifles, Short Barreled Shotguns, Suppressors, Destructive Devices (20mm Rifles, Grenades, Non-Muzzle Loading Artillery, Tanks cannons, etc.), and AOWs (Any Other Weapon, stuff like pen guns and cane guns) can be owned if a special federal form is filled out, a $200 tax is paid, the federal government approves of the transfer, and your local jurisdiction allows such ownership.

The last few years has been a game changer. The US Supreme Court ruled in favor of gun owners that the right to keep and bear arms is a "Fundamental" right and as such the laws that regulate guns and their ownership are going to be looked at more closely now. A lot of restrictions are going to be lifted through legal action. Even the May 1986 Machine Gun ban might be taken to court because of the Supreme Court ruling.

In California, it was just ruled in court that the issuing agent of weapon carry permits must accept "Self Defense" as a legal reason for a carry permit. In California, they are very restrictive on their permits and have always held that you need a "documented" reason for a permit. Such as police reports of someone stalking you or attacking you. They never simply accepted that you wish to carry a pistol for self defense as a legal reason. But that's slowly changing.

The New Jersey "Assault Weapon Ban" is being challenged in court now. Their ban is very restrictive and most of the country allows the ownership of the guns that NJ outlaws.

In the end.... it's all changing for the better here in the USA. Even in my state of Florida; we are fighting for open carry of firearms. We can carry them concealed with a permit but since 1987 we have not been able to openly carry them. Our new governor said that he is in support of open carry and we're going to pressure our state legislation to pass a bill for the governor to sign.

5202342434_59fea6eb12_b.jpg

Everything in that photo is mine and is legal where I live. They're all working rifles, no restriction on ammunition capacity, etc.... the only restriction is the Federal Machine Gun Ban. All of them are Semi-Automatic because of it.

One rifle is suppressed, and two are "Short Barreled Rifles". The 10.5 barreled FN P90 is one and the 11.5 barreled AR-15 (civilian M16). The suppressed rifle is the one on the lower right with the drum magazine, the FN P90 is right below that, and the 11.5 AR-15 is the one on top with the bipod.

Where I live, I can simply walk into my local gun store, fill out a background form, the store calls the state police and they do a background over the phone and give them an approval. After that I walk out the store with my gun. No waiting period because my conceal carry permit waives the waiting period.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks 5,56x45mm, it is confirmed now. I am living in the wrong country. I see you have a Steyr AUG. I have never fired a bullpup weapon. I heared Sweden tested the Steyr, but decided to pick the FNC instead. The UK, France, and Israel have them now, even if the SA-80 and the FAMAS have been around for while, the new Tavor seems to be a good one. So which do you prefer, a bullpup or a "normal" assault rifle?

take care

Ghostrider

Hello,

Thanks 5,56x45mm, it is confirmed now. I am living in the wrong country. I see you have a Steyr AUG. I have never fired a bullpup weapon. I heared Sweden tested the Steyr, but decided to pick the FNC instead. The UK, France, and Israel have them now, even if the SA-80 and the FAMAS have been around for while, the new Tavor seems to be a good one. So which do you prefer, a bullpup or a "normal" assault rifle?

take care

Ghostrider

We are trying to have a US Company strike a deal with IWI of Israel and see if the Tavors can be imported or made state side.

I'm still a AR-15 guy but the bullpup is really starting to win me over. My AUG isn't made by Steyr. It's an American made one. Made by a US Company names Mircotech Small Arms Research. They started as a knife maker in my home state of Florida and are now cranking out AUG pattern rifles. Steyr did sell their rifles in the US Market back in the 1980s and early 1990s. Then we had the Assault Weapon Ban under President Clinton. That expired back in 2003 and Steyr started to sell their A3 AUGs in the USA. Saber Defense made the receivers in America under Steyr's supervision and the barrel, stock, etc... was all Steyr made. They only made 2,100 of them and just ceased production here in the USA. MSAR has sold over 15,000 of their guns. The Steyrs were priced at $2,200 US while the MSAR rifles can be had for between $900-$1,300 US. I paid a total of $13,036 for mine and love it.

I also have FN's PS90 and love that little bullpup.

There are a couple of FNC around on the used market here in the USA.

Back