Magpul FMG-9 & Magpul PDR (These are the coolest things ever!)

Why are you horrified?

The first one isn't too interesting to me, just a Glock with a stock and rail system that can fold into a neat little case. Sounds like it might be a useful, compact defense weapon you can store in your car or something.

The second one is more interesting to me. It's nothing revolutionary, but evolutionary by putting together a lot of interesting features into a single gun. A bullpup PDR that fires 5.56 NATO with STANAG magazines? That's a very realistic choice for armies already using the 5.56 so they don't have to switch over to a proprietary PDW round. I am curious how manageable that light gun is on full auto though (if it has full auto).

What does this do that the 5.56mm MTAR-21 doesn't?

I won't touch the Magpul weapons until they come into full production. They're a materials company, and Bushmaster certainly isn't the best AR manufacturer. By the way, that PDR is just a mockup.

Also, wouldn't performance with 5.56x45mm FMJ ammo be horrid from such a short barrel? Neat little holes. You'd probably need some sort of expanding ammo to make it worthwhile.

The PDR would have a barrel length of 12.5", which is the same as the XM8 and G36K and two inches shorter than the M4. I don't know, but do those other weapons have issues with such a short barrel length?

The PDR is about 7 cm shorter than the MTAR-21, though the MTAR's barrel is about a half inch longer. Would either of those differences matter at all? It would be interesting to see how a PDR prototype compares to the other small bullpups of the world.

I retract my earlier statement, but however I just had a thought about school shootings being acted out with that, touch wood that that never happens. Fit it in your lunch box, scary... Good if your just out and your worried about your safety.

It's a nice-looking weapon design, but I'd be worried about fumbling with the damned thing when everything hits the fan.

Back