Magnitude 8.2 Quake Off Sumatra Coast (Reuters)

Just saw this on the news..
I hope there's no new tsunamis on their way now.. :?

Hi,

ummmmm I don't see anything as yet ......... :?

But It's too early to say i Guess .......... They say it takes around half an hour to three Hours for Tsunamis to develop ..... :?

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Hi,

Reports of Around 12-20 people being dead in Indonesian island of Nias ................ But the Good News is i Just watched some Indian meteorological Department Spokeseman saying on TV that There are no Signs of Tsunamis Developing and the danger period has passed. :)

Lets hope the casuality of the EarthQuake Itself reamins Low ........... beacuse there are reports of Hundered of Bulidings being Destroyed in Indonesia :(

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Looks like the earthquake was a bit more powerfull than first reported, around 8,7..

A small tsunami/large wave (3 meters) was reported to have hit the small Indonesian Island Simeulue, and caused great destruction there.

Around 1000 people are confirmed killed so far, according to Norwegian news.. :?

I don't know anything about plate techtonics or geology, but could this be any sort of a delayed aftershock or part of a continuing series of quakes? Hopefully some measures have already been taken following the first one that will have some effect here.

Hi,

I don't know anything about plate techtonics or geology, but could this be any sort of a delayed aftershock or part of a continuing series of quakes? Hopefully some measures have already been taken following the first one that will have some effect here.

Redneck that reagion is Quite Volatile as 4 Different Plates meet there .......... the Previous earthquake was due to the Indian Plate Sliding Under the Burma Plate ................ and the current One Occured Due to the Indian and Australian plates coliding ........ so it might be said that these were two different Ones........... but Yes the previous one was 9.1 and tha's huge so it might have triggred more distrubences that's why this one happned ... :?

This one wasen't small either .......... it's also one of the world's largest recorded in past 50 years :(

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Nias.. damn. Those people are famous for their high jumps over tall stone slab statues. Their own dance with the spears and shields etc. Proud warrior tradition from the old days.

Redleg said:
Looks like the earthquake was a bit more powerfull than first reported, around 8,7..

A small tsunami/large wave (3 meters) was reported to have hit the small Indonesian Island Simeulue, and caused great destruction there.

Around 1000 people are confirmed killed so far, according to Norwegian news.. :?

Right. If you have an underwater quake, there will always be a tsunami. It's just a matter of how powerful it is.

Back