The Machete (SM-27S COIN aircraft) - will we ever see her?

rattler

Personally I like the radical design for this plane, and I believe it would be the best alternative of the new COIN aircraft, though I doubt we will see it because of non tech/tac considerations that make some other candidates seemingly better positioned (Hawker Beechcraft´s T-6 and Embraer´s Super Tucano).

Anyway, here the (core) requirements (might be a bit outdated):

• 2 seats
1 Turboprop PT-6-based turboprop engine fueled by JP-8
1200 SHP minimum
• Must be able to perform a dual role as a trainer. Possess crew stations for a two-man crew with dual sets of flight, navigation, communication, and weapons controls with weapons delivery able to be performed from either seat.
• Be suitable as an intermediate/advanced single-engine fixed-wing flight trainer with systems which allow the aircraft to be easily reconfigured for COIN operations.
Possess light armor to protect the occupants of both seats and engine compartment from small arms fire.
NVG compatible cockpit
Be capable of loitering in excess of 4 hours while maintaining a 45 minute fuel reserve while loaded with two GBU-12 or Mk-82 type weapons.
Be equipped with ejection seats that provide safe ejection parameters at ground level with zero airspeed.
• The COIN aircraft must be capable of sustaining fully mission capable (FMC) operations availability rates of eighty percent (80%).
Candidates (fully suitable/probable or not, just an overall *theoretical* count):

• OV-10 Bronco (discarded because of 2 engines)
• FMA IA-58 Pucara (same problem as above, not PT6 and two engines)
• Raytheon /Hawker /Beechcraft T-6B Texan II (as AT-6)
• Embraer EMB312 (AT-27) Tucano
• Pilatus PC-9 (same as T-6B)
• AU 23A and AU 24A
• U.S.Aircraft Corporation A-67 Dragon

and then, the one I fancy and this post is about, the Stavatti Machete SM-27S/T

Quite impressive stuff, and, as an extra, great looking:

SM27T_1441ZT.jpg

SM27S_1144T.jpg

SM27S_1163T.jpg

SM27S_1332T.jpg

Summary (details here, worth a read: http://www.stavatti.com/SM27ST_OVERVIEW.html):

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]• Single engine, turboprop aircraft

• Two variants: The SM-27S and SM-27T. The SM-27S is a single seat COIN platform. The SM-27S is designed specifically for Close Air Support (CAS), and in addition to COIN, can satisfy a host of air missions including Light Attack (LA), Counter-Terrorism (CT), Forward Air Control (FAC) and Armed Reconnaissance (AR). 2-seat tandem.

• Power is provided by a 3,000 SHP class free turbine engine powerplant driving a contra-rotating propeller. Powerplant airflow is supplied by laterally mounted, bifurcated fuselage flush inlets.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]• One piece bubble canopy and pressurized cockpit with zero-zero crew-member escape capability. Flight controls are of four-channel, Fly-By-Wire, artificial force-feedback type with yaw dampening. [/FONT]

• C[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]omprehensive integrated avionics suite, including EW/ECM is featured.

• Stores and ordinance is carried on eight wing hardpoints with standard NATO 14-in suspension. Typical fixed internal armament includes a single ventrally mounted 30mm cannon with up to 675 rds of 30mm ammunition (SM-27S) or 470 rds of 30mm ammunition (SM-27T).
[/FONT]
Specs:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]TYPE
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]SM-27S: [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Single Seat COIN/CAS/FAC[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] SM-27T: [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Two Seat Tandem COIN/CAS/FAC/AT[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]POWERPLANT
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Number and Type: [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Single, Three Shaft Turboprop[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] Model: [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Pratt & Whitney Canada PW127G[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] SHP: [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]2,920 @ 1,200 RPM[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] Prop Type: [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]8/6 Blade Reversable Contra-Rotating Scimitar[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] Prop Diameter: [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]120-in[/FONT]

DIMENSIONS
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Overall Span: [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]50 ft[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Overall Length: [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]38 ft[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Overall Height: [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]12 ft 9 in[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Gross Wing Area: [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]280 sq ft[/FONT]

WEIGHTS:

SM27S (Single Seat)
CTOW: [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]17,604 lbs[/FONT]
MTOW (= also the MLW): [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]24,104 lbs[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]External Warload: [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]6,500 lbs[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Design factor at MTOW: 7.5g (ultimate 11.25)[/FONT]

SM27T (Two Seat Tandem)
CTOW: [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]18,143 lbs[/FONT]
MTOW (= also the MLW): [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]24,643 lbs[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]External Warload: [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]6,500 lbs[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Design factor at MTOW: 7.5g (ultimate 11.25)[/FONT]

PERFORMANCE (both variants):

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Max Level Speed: 311-360 [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Ktas (depening on FL and weight configuration)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Max Cruise Speed (FL 350- MTOW): 330[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Ktas[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]
Stall Speed Flapped: 91
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Ktas[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] CTOW, 107 [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Ktas[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] MTOW

Service Ceiling Exeeds: 40.000 ft
Climb Rate (CTOW/MTOW): 3900/2425 ft/min

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Tactical Radius with 20 min at Target-MTOW[/FONT]: 750 nm
Cruise Range (Internal Fuel): 1400 nm

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Endurance, MTOW, Cruise RPM, FL150: 339 min[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Takeoff Distance-SL-MTOW: 4900 ft (CTOW 2250 ft)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Landing Distance-SL-CTOW: 1000 ft (MLW: 1500 ft)

PAYLOAD OPTIONS AND STATIONS:

machete_loadout.gif

Would be great to see her one day,

Rattler
[/FONT]

Unfortunatly the "company" that makes this "aircraft" is almost certinly a hoax. I dug into the company and their "aircraft" a few months ago...They arnt real, never actually had any real contracts with anyone...In short its vaporwear.

Got the 404 error when I tried to access the link you posted.

Try this one then, my added ")" ruined it: http://www.stavatti.com/SM27ST_OVERVIEW.html

Unfortunatly the "company" that makes this "aircraft" is almost certinly a hoax. I dug into the company and their "aircraft" a few months ago...They arnt real, never actually had any real contracts with anyone...In short its vaporwear.

It is not.

This has been discussed for ages: Just that they make no contracts does not mean they are not legit, and they are even well visionaire, want to get a hand on that laser rifle? Invest!.

They have been around many a years, and if they manage that, well, this is called "entrepeneur", the Wrights had the same problems... when trying to sell bikes. Being around for years as a hobby is expensive, so there must be at least some "company" as you call it behind it.

Rattler

Last edited:
Anorexic aircraft.. We need planes with a little aluminum on it's frame! Not these little fake things!
Er, just as a reminder, the contest *is* about those little fake things, the question is which f the little fake things could perform best in todays COIN envrionment, and to me the Machete looks preferable.

The contestants (as actually posted at thread start) are all of the little fake things kind:

• OV-10 Bronco
• FMA IA-58 Pucara
• Raytheon /Hawker /Beechcraft T-6B Texan II (as AT-6)
• Embraer EMB312 (AT-27) Tucano
• Pilatus PC-9 (same as T-6B)
• AU 23A and AU 24A
• U.S.Aircraft Corporation A-67 Dragon

Rattler

i will look into it again this weekend and see if i can find the sources i looked into a few months ago...Not promising anything...I was intrested in the Machette and looked it up to see if it wil soon be flying about...

I mean how it starves itself for parts to try to fit the image of the sleek plane. It sends the wrong message to other planes that they need to be thin as sticks to be popular.

The Machete is came from a company who started as as a drum maker company, and beside the Machete, it has proposals for F-26 Stalma fighter aitcraft, laser rifle and space fighters. Stavatti CEO Chris Baskar insists his company is legit. But he can’t produce a single customer for his high-tech arms buisiness. In a phone interview from a Virgina hotel room, Baskar claims that he has “60 people in the company.” But when pressed, he admits that all but three “are essentially assisting on a pro bono basis.“ He also says he sees nothing wrong with a company trying market laser rifles and drums at the same time. Yamaha, he notes, makes drums, pianos — and motorocycles, too. What about the statements on his site about using his Stavatti guns to stop “alien overlords”? “It indicates a little bit of classified work,” he replies. “Other than that, it’s humor.” Source : http://defensetech.org/2003/04/02/laser-rifle-design-a-hoax/

Last edited:
Let me also cite a certain "Kevin" from the same site, who contrasts things a little:

Chris Beskar is a respected member of the aviation community and serves on technical committees for the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (http://www.aiaa.org/content.cfm?pageid=234&id=75).

He also manages the annual national design competition that is held each year (http://www.aiaa.org/content.cfm?pageid=224).

His work gained national prominence recently when his Machete design was highlighted in a Rand Report which was a study on counterinsurgency aircraft for the Air Force (Aviation Week 14 August 2006).

History is full of scientists and engineers that were called crack-pots during their time, and were reported as visionaries by later generations. I for one, am going to join some of the others out there who are keeping an eye on this high-tech visionary.

Rattler

look familiar?

SV-51_Fighters.jpg

This is the SV-51 from Macross. I guess we can figure out whre he got the design from... in case you're wiondering, this plane was designed for the anime series around 2000/2001, way before the Machete's designs came out.

I hate the sleek look all planes got these days. Ever since the F-22 (or was it earlier than that?) all the planes have been starving themselves like models. That's also probably some crackpot rumor about a nonexistent plane that will never come out (even if it does, it's going to quite be in a while with only 60 employees).

Back