M60A3 TTS, Should have the Army gotten rid of it?

FO Seaman

Should have the Army really gotten rid of the M60A3 TTS?

It was a revolutionary peice of armor. First U.S. tank to have Thermal Imaging devices and many other technological advancements. Horzontial Stablization, weather and windage sensors, laser rangefinder, hybrid solid-state ballistic computer, improved fire control system, State of the art NBC system.

The Tank Thermal Sight was a significant advance, and tankers who have operated a3s and M1a1s almost universally state that the TTS on the M-60a3 was the best thermal imager ever fielded. It was not used on the M1 series due to cost and its large size.

Should that Army really have gotten rid of the M60A3 TTS tank or kept in it's arsenal for use as a medium or light tank?

Fuel wound not be a problem. The M1A1 has a multi-fuel turbine engine capable of burning JP-8, gasoline, and diesel. While the M60A3 has a diesel engine, it runs a bit better in desert conditions.

Ammo is not a problem either. 105mm ammo is still made by the U.S., or they could have upgunned the M60 to 120mm.

Armor is not a problem. It's current rolled armor with the Blazer Reactive armor would be enough to handle RPG's and other HEAT warhead ATGM's.

Crews would not be hard to train. Most current U.S. Army Master Gunner's are trained on the M60A3 TTS platform.

Updating the ballistic computers, FCS and a few other items and you have a competent MBT.

Get rid of the M60?

Hi,

The M60 mbt, especially the A3 version is still a formidable tank that is a good vehicle to meet a modern amies armored units. The armor is outstanding, fire control systems is outstanding, only the mobility is slow. The firepower is one of the best with other 105mm gunnen vehicles. The Turkish armed fores plan to upgrade its m60 fleet to the Sabra III. With a 120mm SB gun that also fires standard NATO ammunition like APFSDS and HEAT. The armor can easily upgraded with passive modular armor package and a new engine with 1000 or 1200 hp. All the electronics are to be replaced by a more advanced system...

After all, when it has received the Sabra III package, its like a leopard 2A5 or M1A2 mbt standard with slightly less mobility.

Re: Get rid of the M60?

Methodman said:
Hi,After all, when it has received the Sabra III package, its like a leopard 2A5 or M1A2 mbt standard with slightly less mobility.

emm.. so let me get this straight, there would have been no serious need for re-inventing the wheel :D Perhaps my information of M60 tank is outdated but I wouldn't be so sure of its armor protection against the rpgs and anti tank missiles used by third world countries today :?

Re: Get rid of the M60?

Armyjaeger said:
Methodman said:
Hi,After all, when it has received the Sabra III package, its like a leopard 2A5 or M1A2 mbt standard with slightly less mobility.

emm.. so let me get this straight, there would have been no serious need for re-inventing the wheel :D Perhaps my information of M60 tank is outdated but I wouldn't be so sure of its armor protection against the rpgs and anti tank missiles used by third world countries today :?

Unless your using the BRA or RHA. The Magach 7A can take three hits from an AT-3.

The Magach 7 Aleph can take more then just three AT-3 Sagger hits. There was one instance in which a Magach of that model was ambushed by Hizbullah guerillas. Twenty Saggers hit the tank,and only two rockets fired from hilltop postions actaully penitrated it on the roof which didn't have the applique armour. The ensuing fires were quickly snuffed out by the Nachel Oz Suppression System and all the crew survived.:2guns:

Back