M60A2: One of the best protected next to the Merkava. - Page 2




 
--
 
March 27th, 2005  
AlexKall
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
It was a piece of over sophisticated junk.
Haha that is just a priecless quote!!
March 29th, 2005  
FO Seaman
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy Mozzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Airman Adam Seaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Yes the M60 was a good tank in its day, superior to the Soviet T55/T62 series but inferior, IMO, to the British Chieftan and German Leopard I tanks.

What I never liked about the M60 though was its high profile.

Well the M60A2 is a little different in than the M60A1 or M60A3.
The M60A2 was a total failure. Talk to Kibbey on Tank net he's crewed on them.
Not true, and I know, my dad commanded an M60A2 . The M60A2 had the 152mm SHILLELAGH missle/gun launcher, also considering the M60A1 beat the hell out of T-55's and T-62's in the Israeli-Arab War, not only that but the 152mm carried a APDS round and considering that alot of the equiptment on the M60A2 went onto the M1.

Turret trouble and a bad air compressor that cleaned the breech and tube is what killed it the most
April 8th, 2005  
godofthunder9010
 
 
The lack of sloping on the turret is what aloways bothered me about my own country's tanks designs ... until the M1 came along that is. All iterations of the M60 had that same issue, in addition to a higher profile.

Someone posted a Slovakian modified version of an old ... I think it was the T-55. The same was true for that. Why bother taking an old and outdated design and try catching it up with the current list of MBT's in the world??
--
April 9th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Airman Adam Seaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy Mozzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Airman Adam Seaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Yes the M60 was a good tank in its day, superior to the Soviet T55/T62 series but inferior, IMO, to the British Chieftan and German Leopard I tanks.

What I never liked about the M60 though was its high profile.

Well the M60A2 is a little different in than the M60A1 or M60A3.
The M60A2 was a total failure. Talk to Kibbey on Tank net he's crewed on them.
Not true, and I know, my dad commanded an M60A2 . The M60A2 had the 152mm SHILLELAGH missle/gun launcher, also considering the M60A1 beat the h**l out of T-55's and T-62's in the Israeli-Arab War, not only that but the 152mm carried a APDS round and considering that alot of the equiptment on the M60A2 went onto the M1.

Turret trouble and a bad air compressor that cleaned the breech and tube is what killed it the most
The 152mm Shillelagh was a piece of . Practical rates of fire were less then 4 rpm with the missile and guiding it was a *****.
April 10th, 2005  
FO Seaman
 
 
No more different then the TOW and the ROF was slow, but the reason being was that the gun breech had to be checked and clean and checked again for smoldering ash. If the Army had done its testing and trials correctly it may have be one of the best for its time.
April 10th, 2005  
SHERMAN
 
 
The missile was a hazzard to the tank itself. The darn thing was way too advanced for it's time.
April 10th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Airman Adam Seaman
No more different then the TOW and the ROF was slow, but the reason being was that the gun breech had to be checked and clean and checked again for smoldering ash. If the Army had done its testing and trials correctly it may have be one of the best for its time.
But it wasn't. It wasn't a good missile at all. Ask Doug Kibbey.
April 11th, 2005  
FO Seaman
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
The missile was a hazzard to the tank itself. The darn thing was way too advanced for it's time.
You mean is. The M551A1 Sheridan AR/AAV uses the Shillelagh 152mm cannon/Missile Launcher, a armor battalion in the 82nd AB still uses the M551A1.
April 12th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Airman Adam Seaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
The missile was a hazzard to the tank itself. The darn thing was way too advanced for it's time.
You mean is. The M551A1 Sheridan AR/AAV uses the Shillelagh 152mm cannon/Missile Launcher, a armor battalion in the 82nd AB still uses the M551A1.
The latter armor battalion has been retired.
April 12th, 2005  
FO Seaman
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy Mozzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Airman Adam Seaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
The missile was a hazzard to the tank itself. The darn thing was way too advanced for it's time.
You mean is. The M551A1 Sheridan AR/AAV uses the Shillelagh 152mm cannon/Missile Launcher, a armor battalion in the 82nd AB still uses the M551A1.
The latter armor battalion has been retired.
Not true. And they are used as OPFOR in training.

Quote:
Initially produced in 1966, the M551 was fielded in 1968. 1,562 M551s were built between 1966 and 1970. The Sheridan saw limited action in Vietnam, where many deficiencies were revealed. The missle system was useless against an enemy that employed tanks, though the Sheridan saw a lot of use towards the end of the war because of its mobility. Sheridan-equiped units participated in Operation Just Cause in Panama (1989), and was deployed to Saudi Arabia during Operation Desert Shield. As projectile technology advanced, the Sheridan's potential declined and it was phased out of the US inventory beginning in 1978. However, the M551 is still used by the 82nd Airborne Division. Some 330 "visually-modified" Sheridans represent threat tanks and armored vehicles at the National Training Center in Fort Irwin, California.