M2HB .50 Cal. One of the oldest weapon in Americans arsenal

FO Seaman

The M2 has been in service since before the First World War and still remains in service but will so be replaced by the new M3 .50 Cal.
It is an all purpose weapon and I wanted to here some remarks about the M2.

The only M3 I know is the "Grease Gun" from WW2.

I am under the impression it is going to be replaced by the OCSW varient XM312 would be replacing the M2.

The only fault I could ever see with Ma Duece is the barrel change. Adjusting and gauging head space and timing. Other than that she's a great old girl.

The big one is weight. The OCSW is going to be a lot more powerful and a lot lighter than the ma deuce which is going to greatly increase the leathality of our infantry.

The wieght isn't really an issue when you consider that most deployments of Ma Duece are static positions or vehicle mounted. Yes she's heavy but she's also man portable when broken down amoungst the team.It's not a weapon designed to be hip shot.

Whispering Death said:
The only M3 I know is the "Grease Gun" from WW2.

I am under the impression it is going to be replaced by the OCSW varient XM312 would be replacing the M2.

that would be the replacement of the saw

r031Button said:
They're replacing the SAW with a crew served weapon? You might want to re check that.

I see what you mean, I was meaning the XM8 Machine gun variant. And I'll take the ma Deuce over that piece of crap anyday.

03USMC said:
The wieght isn't really an issue when you consider that most deployments of Ma Duece are static positions or vehicle mounted. Yes she's heavy but she's also man portable when broken down amoungst the team.It's not a weapon designed to be hip shot.
Exactly.
The M2 is a very reliable and accurate HMG, not may designs come close to it.

03USMC - You can't just carry around an M2 with a fireteam, it's heavy and it weighs down mobility. That's why it is used in static positions or on vehicles. The advantage of the OCSW is that it will bring a lethality greater than the M2 in a package lightweight enough to keep up with the modern infantry maneuvers.

There is a big difference between in suppression and flank maneuver when you're getting suppressed by a few M16s or by a .50 machine gun that rips through what you thought was good cover.

Whispering Death said:
03USMC - You can't just carry around an M2 with a fireteam, it's heavy and it weighs down mobility. That's why it is used in static positions or on vehicles. The advantage of the OCSW is that it will bring a lethality greater than the M2 in a package lightweight enough to keep up with the modern infantry maneuvers.

There is a big difference between in suppression and flank maneuver when you're getting suppressed by a few M16s or by a .50 machine gun that rips through what you thought was good cover.

do you have any links to info about this wonder weapon? i've never heard of it...

Whispering Death said:
03USMC - You can't just carry around an M2 with a fireteam, it's heavy and it weighs down mobility.
What!!!!! Really!!!!! It's not like a SAW or a GPLMG? Yer kiddin! no way!

I'm really aware of the weight if the M2 gun body, tripod, barrel, extra barrel, T&E etc. The Ma Deuce was never meant to be used in a squad automatic weapon. It was designed to to provide heavy automatic weapons support. Which is how it's deployed.

It's outstanding in that role. And it's proven itself effective in that role. The new weapon is going to ...if it ever actually hits the field continue to serve the function of the M2. I can almost guarantee you will not see it at Plt, Squad or Fireteam level. If it filters down the chain to Rifle Company Level it will remain in the Weapons Platoon with the Mortars.
I don't look for the entire military to change their TOE around a crew served weapon.
As far as the difference in suppressing fire between 5.56 mm and .50 cal BMG. Yeah I know theres a big difference in that as well thats like saying theres a big difference between a 16 inch Naval round and a 105mm Howitzer round. Kind of obvious really, but according to the stats that were posted the new weapon is 25mm same as the Chain Gun on the LAV. that makes it bigger than the .50. So now you have to factor in ammo wieght if you want to hump it. Just because the weapon system is supposed to wiegh in at 32lbs isn't the end of the story. Attachments will bring the weight up, ammo, extra barrels etc. It's still not something a gunner is going to want to hump and it's not going to result in a more fluid movement.
You will see this weapon deployed the same way the .50 cal is now deployed.

Back