M2HB .50 Cal. One of the oldest weapon in Americans arsenal - Page 4

--

March 1st, 2005  
r031Button

Doctrine is how they're employed; wether or not it's official. Technology does change doctrine; 90 years ago, infantry doctrine was to advance slowly in ranks towards the enemy. Changes in technology means we now "pepper pod" and use fire bases to assault the enemy.
March 1st, 2005  
Whispering Death

"pepper pod" sorry I'm not aware of that term, what does that mean?
March 1st, 2005  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
Doctorine changes to fit the technology, not the other way around 03USMC.
Look let me put this way. The weapon while it maybe lighter than the Ma Duece but it's still a heavy machine gun. That means it will be deployed as a...HVYMG. Heavy Guns are employed in certain roles.

This weapon will not be humped as organic fire power in line companies. As Hulk said the Ammo weight is prohibitive. His primary MOS is 0331 so he should know of what he speaks. Heavy Gun positions are hard to dig. Heavy guns do their best work on vehicles and in static positions.

My suggestion is ruck up hump a 240G for a few klicks and then tell me a Heavy Gun , even at 32 lb's is going to be a boon for light infantry.
--
March 2nd, 2005  
Whispering Death

I think you might be thinking about organic firepower in the wrong context.

In a MOUT combat you don't have the same length considerations in terms of the time spent hiking as you would in an older style WW2-esque combat situation. You can transport the HMG team into the combat zone via stryker, then dismount it and the team can be easily portable from spot to spot within the area of operations.
March 2nd, 2005  
bushpig1998

a bit off topic, but what are the ballistics on the ma deuce? How much armor will an API round penetrate?
March 2nd, 2005  
03USMC

I understand MOUT. I've been trained in MOUT. I have Prac Ap in MOUT .

I realize what is organic to the Marine Corps Rifle Company. Marine Corps Infantry Bn and a Marine Infantry Regt. And I will say this again.

Heavy Machine Guns are not Organic to the Rifle Company. HVYMG's are organic at the Bn and Regt. level.

The way you are talking about deploying HVYMG's are the way they are deployed now. By vehicle as attachments to the company.
March 2nd, 2005  
Whispering Death

Well at least now we understand eachother, we just seem to be at a difference of opinion.
March 2nd, 2005  
r031Button

Quote:
"pepper pod" sorry I'm not aware of that term, what does that mean?

Sorry, fire and movement is porbly the more common term.
March 2nd, 2005  
Lil Hulk 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Quote:
Doctorine changes to fit the technology, not the other way around 03USMC.
Look let me put this way. The weapon while it maybe lighter than the Ma Duece but it's still a heavy machine gun. That means it will be deployed as a...HVYMG. Heavy Guns are employed in certain roles.

This weapon will not be humped as organic fire power in line companies. As Hulk said the Ammo weight is prohibitive. His primary MOS is 0331 so he should know of what he speaks. Heavy Gun positions are hard to dig. Heavy guns do their best work on vehicles and in static positions.

My suggestion is ruck up hump a 240G for a few klicks and then tell me a Heavy Gun , even at 32 lb's is going to be a boon for light infantry.
You forgot the damn mortar monkey's adding a round or two your AG so that you had to take back the pig rack (tripod for those not versed) and hump the pig and rack!!!! (back to the subject)

32#'s is a huge load for a weapon. Try sprinting with a Dragon or Man Pack TOW, then tell me it is easy with the rest of your basic combat load. The reason you need a good HVYMG position is that attention that the weapon brings from your opponent, everything from RPG's, Motars, 30mm Nade launchers (the Russians use 30's not 40's), Chain Guns, and whatever is large enough to either put big holes in things via kinetic energy or explosives.

It is hard enough in MOUT training to wrestle a 240/60 upstairs and in rooms, let alone run out of a building with a 32# weapon with a string of 25# ammo behind you as it gets peppered with large caliber rounds or better yet, tank rounds.

The goal is to get a HVYMG that is easier to setup, quicker for barrel changes, easier to setup fire zones, and yes lighter, but I highly doubt that the weapon will be used in an assault of any type unless it is mounted.
March 23rd, 2005  
ONERING

I agree, if it weren't for the problem of gravity we might as well be carrying .50 supported miniguns going at 10000rpm