m249 SAW with short barrel

Duty Honor Country

I know SF has had this baby for a few years, but it is finally getting to the active duty infantry. Right before my unit when on leave for Christmas, Santa gave all the SAW gunners a short barrel to help them clear out enemy in rooms and buildings. Israel has the minimi para (shown below) which seems to be the same thing as the M249 with short barrel. The minimi para has a range of 800 meters with up to 1000 rounds per minute.

I'm just keeping you all up to date on what the US infantry has now adays.

Para_Minimi.jpg

Yeah our 3 RAR Para's have those babies. Not bad the F89 Minimi.

Except I'm not sure about your range quote. 800m with an iron sight carbine version. Our standard F89 Minimi we quote as having an effective range of 400m and 600m with a spotter, plus our minimis have a 1.5x scope. Maybe we just give a short quote to confuse our pottential foes.

I looooooove it. I want one in my x-mas stocking next year! oh wait - later this year - btw - happy new year!

They have been using those at Basic at Benning for about 9 months.

Doody said:
I know SF has had this baby for a few years, but it is finally getting to the active duty infantry. Right before my unit when on leave for Christmas, Santa gave all the SAW gunners a short barrel to help them clear out enemy in rooms and buildings. Israel has the minimi para (shown below) which seems to be the same thing as the M249 with short barrel. The minimi para has a range of 800 meters with up to 1000 rounds per minute.

I'm just keeping you all up to date on what the US infantry has now adays.

Para_Minimi.jpg

The one thing I don't like about the Minimi is the box. It just makes way to much noise with a full belt in in....then again...I'm in a recce unit so I guesseit's not as big a deal for most othe types.

The one thing I don't like about the Minimi is the box. It just makes way to much noise with a full belt in in....then again...I'm in a recce unit so I guesseit's not as big a deal for most othe types.

We use a collapsable magazine, made out of the same material as a webbing ammo pouch. Same size and shape, but it's doesn't make any noise, doesn't rattle etc.

I know there are cloth mags for the SAW with blank ammo. I have yet to be on a major live fire exercise with my company, so I am not sure if the US has cloth mags for live ammo.

woudln't the cloth be affected by the weather and environment, surely if its raining and the things are covered in dust and junk it cant be good for the magazines?

it's not really cloth per-say; it's a tought material whose name eludes me at the moments. Besides, you should be just leaving you weapon around to be rained on and such anyways :p

The 82nd airborne has the one pictured, its the para version I am also preaty sure that 1/32inf from the 10th mountain had them to. My unit uses a soft magazine I dont think its cloth its some other fabric.

r031Button said:
it's not really cloth per-say; it's a tought material whose name eludes me at the moments. Besides, you should be just leaving you weapon around to be rained on and such anyways :p
lol yes, thank you captain obvious :p :lol:

i was thinking abuot what would happen if you were in a damp, humid, jungle environment, where water and humidity can really get to you

Back