m249 SAW with short barrel - Page 2

--

January 4th, 2005  
r031Button

The one thing I don't like about the Minimi is the box. It just makes way to much noise with a full belt in in....then again...I'm in a recce unit so I guesseit's not as big a deal for most othe types.
January 4th, 2005  
AussieNick

Quote:
The one thing I don't like about the Minimi is the box. It just makes way to much noise with a full belt in in....then again...I'm in a recce unit so I guesseit's not as big a deal for most othe types.
We use a collapsable magazine, made out of the same material as a webbing ammo pouch. Same size and shape, but it's doesn't make any noise, doesn't rattle etc.
January 4th, 2005  
r031Button

Yeah the new C9A2's were getting are coming with cloth mags as well.
--
January 4th, 2005  
Duty Honor Country

I know there are cloth mags for the SAW with blank ammo. I have yet to be on a major live fire exercise with my company, so I am not sure if the US has cloth mags for live ammo.
January 4th, 2005  
AussieNick

I figure that most defence forces that use the minimi/m249 would use the cloth magazine, it makes sense.
January 4th, 2005  
r031Button

I agree, I'm still at a loss as to why we didn't get them originally.
January 5th, 2005  
Locke

woudln't the cloth be affected by the weather and environment, surely if its raining and the things are covered in dust and junk it cant be good for the magazines?
January 5th, 2005  
r031Button

it's not really cloth per-say; it's a tought material whose name eludes me at the moments. Besides, you should be just leaving you weapon around to be rained on and such anyways :P
January 5th, 2005  
sleepyscout

The 82nd airborne has the one pictured, its the para version I am also preaty sure that 1/32inf from the 10th mountain had them to. My unit uses a soft magazine I dont think its cloth its some other fabric.
January 5th, 2005  
Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by r031Button
it's not really cloth per-say; it's a tought material whose name eludes me at the moments. Besides, you should be just leaving you weapon around to be rained on and such anyways :P
lol yes, thank you captain obvious :P

i was thinking abuot what would happen if you were in a damp, humid, jungle environment, where water and humidity can really get to you