M203 dry-fire rounds.

Marinerhodes

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I need some help. I have spent the last little while looking for an M203 "dummy" round. I have yet to find one. It needs to be able to be used in training to deomonstrate and practice how to load/unload the M203 grenade launcher. Can anyone help me out? I have searched every variation of M203/40mm dry-fire/dummy etc etc that I could think of. I figured I would hit you guys up next. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Where you work, there should be a training branch that you can draw dummy rounds. Same place you get your moulague kits, etc.. We call it TASC, but USMC may call it something different.

Despite being fully qualified on the M203 (Or GLA as we call it) I don't think I've ever seen a dummy round. I've seen prac rounds, the ones that leave a god-awful bright orange mark where they strike, but thats all. While practicing, we had to pretend to load a round.

Those practice rounds suck... I had one "blow up" in the tube... orange paint all in the rifle and all over me. I looked like a deer hunter hit by a train.

I used drill rounds when I was qual'd on the GLA. Blue tops with the primer cap white.

Last edited:
Where you work, there should be a training branch that you can draw dummy rounds. Same place you get your moulague kits, etc.. We call it TASC, but USMC may call it something different.

I work at Camp Geiger, Camp Lejeune, NC. It is where they train 03XX (Infantry) and the various other MOS' on the East Coast. I work in the Supply Section. There was a Gunnery Sergeant that brought in what looked like an acrylic replica of the M203 round. Basically a dry-fire/dummy round. This round is not capable of being fired. It is used to demonstrate safe loading and unloading techniques without the hazard of practice or live rounds. This is what I am looking for. I have looked high and low. I have talked with our Ammo techs, the Armory, TECOM (Training Education Command) and various other sections/units and none of them know where to go to get the item in question.

I hope this helps clear anything up.

Sir,

Would you please exlpain what TASC stand for? Perhaps that will give me an idea of where to go.

I can't tell you what the USMC equivalent might be but in the Army TASC stands for Training and Audiovisual Support Center.

m922.JPG

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m922.htm

532370.jpg

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=532370&chrSuperSKU=&MC=

Something like those perhaps?

Man those exist? Like AussieNick I only used the stuff with the orange smoke. In the RoKMC, for a practice thing like that, what we'd have to do is get the real thing, then get some guy who's real good at carving wood or sculpting clay and tell him to make an exact copy. That's pretty much how we solve everything. The country gives us nothing except what the Army or the Navy finds in excess.

Back