M1A2 SEP (System Enhancment Package)

FO Seaman

The M1A2 SEP is the best, biggest, most high tech tank on the market.

What is your thoughts on it, like what are it down sides.

Probably the one thing that does work against the M-1 series are that they are hard to transport quickly and in large numbers.

AlexKall said:
The heat problem with the turbine, i presume the SEP is still a turbine(?).

From what I hear from people that served on the M1. The heat problem is overblown. A Bradley commander told me he could snuggle dismounts about 6 feet away from an M1. He said the heat at that range is uncomfortable, but is not extreme.

If you're speaking of the thermal signature of a turbine, a modern thermal sight can detect any kind of tank at 3km+. Even with the engine turned off, the TTS on the M60 could see a 1 degree difference while the TIS down to 1.5 degrees at 2km.

I'm refereing to the tactical downside of the emense heat ;)

Dont know if the tactic would be in any good use now adays though :eek:

Its tacticly a down side compared to a diesel driven tank, or anyother propultion that produce less heat. It might not be a to big of a problem in the desert during the day because of the heat thats already around it. But in colder places (such as in the desert night) there is a problem with the heat signature. Hence why even our Swedish tanks have big coolers in the back, even though they're diesels, just to minimize the heat signature compared to the snow, well and keep it from overheating heh. The good thing with the turbine is oviusly the fact that it can coop with emence heat, which a diesel cant. Although this not beeing a problem with our tanks as they never do see any deserts :lol:

With modern thermal imagers you will see a tank regardless of it's engine type. The 1st Gen TIS can see a 1.5 degree difference in temperature.

But the farther away you get, the harder it is to see that heat signature. Just like a light gits dimmer the farther away you get. But if you increase the intensity, the detection range goes up. That's the point, it can be detected at close range just as easily as any other tank, but it's easier to be picked up at long ranges.

Back