M1A2 Commander

You can be a Tactical Commander once you are the highest ranking person on your tank.

Or, if you are more squared away than your TC, you might take his job. I've seen E-4s as TCs and E-5s as their gunners.

Well sorry I'm not completely coherent in army procedures and I must admit I ask this only out of curiosity not out of a personal motivation to join up as I've got a cushy tier 1 college life going for me now (although I would be the first to volunteer if the nation was in need of a draft).

Regerdless, what is the procedure for getting into that command seat? Do they only look for old carreer guys with years of tank experience or does it just take a high level of intelligence coupled with an officer school?

I imagine they arn't just handing those million dollar machines over to anyone who asks for one :)

You'd be surprised.

Privates out of basic training are driving them. To even get to a position where you are the highest ranking members on your crew means you are smart enough to stay out of trouble and do your job effectively.

I'm not a tank commander or anything, but there might be some kind of test you have to pass in order to become a tank commander. In an anti-armor Infantry company, you usually have to be able to identify enough vehicles to know you're not destroying a friendly.

Back