M17 Still viable mask?

FO Seaman

I've noticed that some Guard/Reserve personnel that haven't been deployed still have M17's rather than M40's, I've yet to see any reports on it's status, if the A2's are still considered functional, or if all models of the series are obsolete and these soldiers units are just issuing mask still in inventory as part of kit because they have yet to be issued M40's (I know most units won't receive the most recent and new equipment unless they're in rotation for deployment).

Just curious, anyone know of any documentation or reports of the mask that are viewable online?

EDIT: In addition, I always assumed the M17 was only guaranteed against Chemical and Biological agents, and even then only against agents without an oil base. Unless or course the A2 series was rated for a radioactive environment, hopefully we have some chemical personnel on the site than can bring some light to this.

Last edited:
The mask itself is still good.... as long as your mask is not damaged in anyway. Many Agencies still use them. The original M17 has been updated with either the A1 or A2.... not 100% sure. Filters can still be purchased brand new. Mask tech has really improved in terms of size, weight, and vision. But the M17 can still do the job.

And the filters in an M17 can be beyotch to change, green, gold + combat. Black training with the filters just so ya know.

I was 19 the lest time I layed eeys on a M17. I seem to recall the filters were a pain to switch out.

Back