The M16A4

LeatherNeckRVA

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marineweapons/a/m16a4.htm

So what do you guys think? Especially the Marines of the forum, do you find the weight makes a big difference? Are you as optimistic about the rail system as the people in the article?

I haven't had the chance to fire the m16(a2 or a4) or the m4 so I don't have much room to talk but I'm interested to see what people think. I am a little worried that things keep getting heavier, seeing as the marines carry sometimes up to 100 pounds( so i hear)

I'm no Marine, but I have fired both the A2 and the A4 on the range, (and have used the expansion rails on the A4) I don't find the weight too limiting for general firing/accuracy, however I have not carried either in the field and therefore don't know about practical use.

Once in the field, what is most important is ease of use and durability.
It must be able to handle rain, mud and rough use.

The M-16 is always the best weapon.. for a long, long time still...

:rambo:

The extra weight is minimal, might have to leave that extra bottle of hot sauce at home, and the flexibility is important. So, in my opinion, it is a good change.

The wieght it isn't an issue. The A2 was heavier than the A1. But the amount of wieght your talking about isn't a factor. Good change.

I ain't leavin behind the hot sauce.

I'll have to disagree with some of you on this issue...

It's interesting that the Marines are opting for the M16A4 over the XM8, it would seem to me that it would be best to watch the XM8 closely in field trials before going for the tried and true armalite series.

Weight IS a problem. Less weight = more ammo, it's not necessarily because soldiers are getting sore shoulders but because people want them to be able to carry more gear and more ammo into the field. Just look at what the marines are carrying out in the field now compared to what they had back then, a few pounds shaved here to carry out that new tactical watchamacallit can be a great trade off.

I'm interested, would the new RIS come in to play at all? How many marines would actually be able to outfit their new M16A4s with things? Can they afford that? It is reported that the A4 fires the same as the A2s... is this even worth the upgrade? Lots of $$ just for a rail? There has to be more behind this.

OK, first the weight difference is less than a pound depending on what you place on the flat top. Second, the body armour from mine and 03's time has changed. We used the BA that was 25 1/2 pounds with the steel penetrator inserts, the new interceptor armour is 16.4 pounds, that's 9 pounds of weight recovery or about 9 magazines at 25 rounds each.

The XM-8 will take FOREVER to implement, just like the M249, which took forever to implement in the Army. As a former pig handler, the 249 was a huge improvement in weight, like about another 3 to 5 pounds depending on the model, some of the recon teams had a stripped version of the 249 to haul around.

So, just from the 80's and early 90's, that's is a 12 to 14 pound reduction of load since the rest of the gear is about the same. The new 782 gear (now LBV) has also distributed the load much better, which is key. The weight from the A4 is minimal and it is PROVEN technology, I would hate to be the first unit in the field to get an M-8 that was like the original M16, especially when my teams' life would be at stake.

Good points hulk,I never thought of the armor advancements. Isn't the interceptor fairly new and not all marines have it yet?

Notice I said to watch the XM8 be fielded before deciding between the A4 and the A2 :), especially since it has relativily few improvements.

Would you know the weight improvement between the A4 and the XM8?

Spetsnazgg said:
Good points hulk,I never thought of the armor advancements. Isn't the interceptor fairly new and not all marines have it yet?

Notice I said to watch the XM8 be fielded before deciding between the A4 and the A2 :), especially since it has relativily few improvements.

Would you know the weight improvement between the A4 and the XM8?

Yeah, about 2 to 3 pounds depending on the XM-8 configuration. The interceptor armor has been issued to the combat arms units.

Back