M16A2 is ageing

--

August 4th, 2004  
LeatherNeckRVA

Topic: M16A2 is ageing

Now that the m16a2 is getting on in the years I keep hearing marines(i don't have friends in the other branches ,sorry ) talking about what weapon they would like to see replace it. I don't have any experience with military grade weapons yet but I'm interested to find out what you guys think would be a good replacement, if indeed the U.S. is in the market for one.
August 4th, 2004  
Shadowalker

Well i think the army is looking to replace it with the XM8 but i thought it was more M4 size then M16. If i was us military and was looking to replace like with like i would want the G36, as it is 5.56mm, used by its NATO allies and is one of the best rifles in the world at the minute, though it isnt bullpup design!

http://www.world.guns.ru/assault/as14-e.htm
August 4th, 2004  
LeatherNeckRVA

I heard rumors about the M4 as well but I think it's unlikely because I don't think the US would give up the distinct advantage that the M16A2 has over the AK, which is the effectiveness at 350 yards.
--
August 4th, 2004  
RnderSafe

A4 is replacing the A2, along with some M4s thrown in for an extra giggle.
August 5th, 2004  
Mark Conley

well...are we talking about the actual age of the m-16s already in the inventories (in other words..they are losing strength and might burst if fired, requiring them to be replaced because they are unsafe), or are we talking about the age of the design of the weapon that makes it desirable to replace it?

I mean, they can always make a new weapon to replace an old unsafe one..but if they want to redesign and introduce a new weapon, its going to be some mucho bucks... 8)
August 5th, 2004  
LeatherNeckRVA

exactly, but its an investment that needs to be made if the US is going to continue to keep up with our enemies and our allies.
August 5th, 2004  
RnderSafe

The M-16 has not outlived its usefulness. Spending tons of money for only a slight improvement is a waste. That money would be better served going to training.
August 6th, 2004  
Lil Hulk 1988

Topic: M16 is still a viable weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherNeckRVA
exactly, but its an investment that needs to be made if the US is going to continue to keep up with our enemies and our allies.
What are we actually keeping up with? The business end (the round) is the same 5.56mm round. The money would probably be better spent on training and an updated package for the M203, something like the 20mm round that is being developed with the variable fuse and more direct fire.

Semper Fi...
August 18th, 2004  
c/Commander

I agree. Don't fix what isn't broken. The M-16 has long range, good accuracy, "mod"-ability...and uses the same type of ammunition as the weapon that you all want to see replace it. I agree that it will eventually have to be replaced...but come on it works fine. People still use Garands for certain tasks and they're over 50 years old!
August 18th, 2004  
SHERMAN

I agree. There Is no reason to replace that weapon.