M14 Question

Dawghusker

I have a Springfield MIA. The weapon has been fired about 500 times. Lately, I've been getting about a 50% failure rate on ejecting casings. I think I either have an obstructed gas tube or problems with the bolt-mounted ejector.

I suppose I could take it to the local gun repair guy. Otherwise, does anyone have a suggestion as to how I might try to repair it at home?

Thanks

I have a Springfield MIA. The weapon has been fired about 500 times. Lately, I've been getting about a 50% failure rate on ejecting casings. I think I either have an obstructed gas tube or problems with the bolt-mounted ejector.

I suppose I could take it to the local gun repair guy. Otherwise, does anyone have a suggestion as to how I might try to repair it at home?

Thanks

How often do you lube it? I had the same problem with a Savage .22LR semi-auto, problem was the slide wasn't sliding fast enough because of dust.

Seems like a dirty gun. Failure to eject could mean a couple of things.

1. Dirty Gun
2. Crappy Ammo
3. Screwed up Gas Piston

Etc....

Just take it apart and give it a good cleaning.

If you haven't already done so, Dismantle and clean thoroughly paying close attention to the gas tube, piston and bolt carrier guides. I'll make a bet that the problem disappears.

If you've already done that check that you are using military ammo or a direct equivalent (bullet weight)

I know any .308 (7.62x51mm) made before 1980 is just very very corrosive, and the powder ammount per round varies immensely.

This is of course due to mass production for Veitnam, just shove whatever in there, lol.

I know any .308 (7.62x51mm) made before 1980 is just very very corrosive, and the powder ammount per round varies immensely.

This is of course due to mass production for Veitnam, just shove whatever in there, lol.

Wrong....

Any and all US MILITARY Ammuntion made after 1958 is non-corrosive. Foreign made ammunition must be treated as corrosive unless you the shooter know for a fact that it is not corrosive.

Wrong....

Any and all US MILITARY Ammuntion made after 1958 is non-corrosive. Foreign made ammunition must be treated as corrosive unless you the shooter know for a fact that it is not corrosive.

Ok thats what meant, a friend of mine has a bunch of Korean produced .308 rounds.

Corrosive primed ammo will not effect the functioning of the rifle. But it will effect barrel life if the weapon is not cleaned after use.

Last edited:
Explains why his Winchster .308 Lever Action isn't very accurate, but she's a beast.

Wait, you have a Winchester 1894 lever action chambered in .308 Winchester?

Do you know that you cannot load spitzer rounds into it or you can cause a KaBoom. The pointed tips of spitzer rounds rest on the primer of the round infront of it in the magazine tube. When you fire the rifle, the recoil will cause the spitzer tip to hit the primer of the round in front of it, thus causing a KaBoom. KaBooms are bad, you lose the rifle and maybe your hands or life.

Wait, you have a Winchester 1894 lever action chambered in .308 Winchester?

Do you know that you cannot load spitzer rounds into it or you can cause a KaBoom. The pointed tips of spitzer rounds rest on the primer of the round infront of it in the magazine tube. When you fire the rifle, the recoil will cause the spitzer tip to hit the primer of the round in front of it, thus causing a KaBoom. KaBooms are bad, you lose the rifle and maybe your hands or life.

It's not mine, belongs to a friend of mine in NY. It's a Model 88, belonged to his father. He doesn't do much with it other than plink 55 gallon drums and trees in his backyard.

Back