The M1 (The Tank)

EuropeanAmerican

How much longer do you guys think that the M1A2 will be in service? Also I would like to know if there are any current projects going on to replace the Abrams. Thats all, thanks.

How much longer do you guys think that the M1A2 will be in service? Also I would like to know if there are any current projects going on to replace the Abrams. Thats all, thanks.

The M1A2 will probally be the last so called MBT and no I dont know of any plans to replace it, its a fairly upgradeable platform anway.

I remember reading about and seeing pictures of the NextGen tanks back in 1986. They were suppose to have kinetic energy guns and operated by remote. But all of these designs were eventually abandoned due to budget cuts. I guess the M1 tank will have to be around for a long time. They already have the TUSK version, who knows whets next?

:tank:

You have quite a few thousand of the M1 tank to wear out first, and that should take quite a few years.

Why would the US waste its resources and and money and developing a new MBT when the current one is better than any 3rd army can field. All the MBT's that can match or surpass it are western and don't sell to the axies of evil.

The M-1 will most likely be around for the next 20 years in updated formates. The only reason I can see the need for new one MBT would be if the relationship between China and US degrade to that point of a new cold war.

Where the US should be spending money it is on personal infantry ppotection. Better body protect that doesn't lead to nasty wounds like the current vests due.

The M1A2 Abrams is gonna be around for a long time. It will be upgraded sooner or later. However its time will come when something better comes along and it is placed aside.

However, do not think for one second that the death of Abrams is the end for MBTs. Remember how they said that their would be no more dogfights? What I do see is the MBT being joined by the Mobile Gun System.

This is what it it will look like

army%202007.jpg

Last edited:
hammerlock said:
Why would the US waste its resources and and money and developing a new MBT when the current one is better than any 3rd army can field. All the MBT's that can match or surpass it are western and don't sell to the axies of evil.

The M-1 will most likely be around for the next 20 years in updated formates. The only reason I can see the need for new one MBT would be if the relationship between China and US degrade to that point of a new cold war.

Where the US should be spending money it is on personal infantry ppotection. Better body protect that doesn't lead to nasty wounds like the current vests due.

That T-99 is looking like a beast to me.

Ronin said:
That T-99 is looking like a beast to me.

Looks are not everything. It is part of the endless web of MBTs in which the T-72 is the core. The turret looks kinda like that on the Merkava. I don't know how good the optics and computer systems are but I highly doubt that they are as good as what we have.

Easy-8 said:
Looks are not everything. It is part of the endless web of MBTs in which the T-72 is the core. The turret looks kinda like that on the Merkava. I don't know how good the optics and computer systems are but I highly doubt that they are as good as what we have.

By looks, I don't mean literally.

The main armament is a fully-stabilized 125 mm smoothbore gun with an autoloader. Despite the early reports indicating the gun was a licensed copy of the Russian 2A46, it is actually an indigenous design derived from the Chinese 125 mm smoothbore gun. The autoloader, however, is Russian.
Ammunition includes armor piercing fin stabilized discarding sabot rounds (APFSDS), high explosive anti-tank rounds (HEAT), and high explosive fragmentation (HE-FRAG) projectiles. China has also reportedly manufactured Russian AT-11 laser guided anti-tank missiles (ATGM) to be fired from the 125 mm gun. In addition, the Chinese have experimentally developed depleted uranium (DU) rounds for their tanks and these may be available to the Type 99.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_99

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank God for teen-aged tank experts!
I am veteran with 23 years experience and I wouldn't make comments on the M-1 because of my not being familiar with Armor, being a Corps of Engineers officer who went to Advanced Course, Command & General Staff College and various other courses. But like I said here we have teen-aged tank experts!

tomtom22 said:
Thank God for teen-aged tank experts!
I am veteran with 23 years experience and I wouldn't make comments on the M-1 because of my not being familiar with Armor, being a Corps of Engineers officer who went to Advanced Course, Command & General Staff College and various other courses. But like I said here we have teen-aged tank experts!
So, because we have no experience, you expect us not to discuss it? So I guess we can't discuss politics, we've never been politicians, we can't discuss all guns, we've never shot every single one of them, and we can't discuss life in general, because we haven't lived through all of it yet.

I am not saying my word is final, nor that it should be taken as official, but I damn well have the right to express it.

Thank you for your years of service, (I am currently a candidate for the Naval Academy, hopefully I can follow in your footsteps and become an officer) but buddy its comments like that that get me pissed.

Ronin said:
So, because we have no experience, you expect us not to discuss it? So I guess we can't discuss politics, we've never been politicians, we can't discuss all guns, we've never shot every single one of them, and we can't discuss life in general, because we haven't lived through all of it yet.

I am not saying my word is final, nor that it should be taken as official, but I damn well have the right to express it.

Thank you for your years of service, (I am currently a candidate for the Naval Academy, hopefully I can follow in your footsteps and become an officer) but buddy its comments like that that get me pissed.
This is the topic of this thread:
Quote:
I do not disagree with your right to comment, but in accordance with the rules of this forum, you must post the source of your information, which you did not do. Anyone would therefore assume that you have first hand knowledge of the subject, which as we both know is not the case. That is why I commented as I did. Follow the rules.

P.S. Good Luck with your quest for the Naval Academy.

I better start seeing some links in some of your posts. Do not copy and paste articles from websites without providing the link.

tomtom22 said:
This is the topic of this thread:
Quote:
I do not disagree with your right to comment, but in accordance with the rules of this forum, you must post the source of your information, which you did not do. Anyone would therefore assume that you have first hand knowledge of the subject, which as we both know is not the case. That is why I commented as I did. Follow the rules.

P.S. Good Luck with your quest for the Naval Academy.
Well, in that case, fully agreed. I confess, I didn't actually take the time out to read the rules fully.

Misunderstanding on my part. You listing your credentials mislead me.

Last edited:
I was reading one of those odd books on the military the other day, and it was saying that the longest ever tank to tank shot with a knock out blow was from a Challenger 1 which knocked out a Iraq tank at the rane of 2 & half miles with a single shot. This was during the first Gulf War

Never underestimate the enemy.
How many times has that been proved throughout history. Just because you think they are inferior... doesn't mean they are.

I think the M1A2 will be around another ten years at least. The reason I think so is I'm still repairing the first generation CITV for GDLS (General Dynamics Land Systems) and TACOM. We have both the 1st and 2nd generations in the field with a new multiyear contract for repair of 1st gen and production and repair of 2nd gen. We're also testing 3rd gen systems now.

Last edited:
GI_JOEJK said:
I remember reading about and seeing pictures of the NextGen tanks back in 1986. They were suppose to have kinetic energy guns:tank:
You mean a gun that fires a bullet that doesn't contain explosives (like a handgun, which is a kinetic energy weapon)?

:tank: To answer some questions:

1.) The M1 Abrams will remain in Army and Marine Corps inventory until 2036. Source: U.S. Army Future Combat Systems Represenative, and my Father who I will not name, he is an NCO working with the Chief of Armor Office.

2.) TUSK is not a variation of the Abrams: TUSK is a kit that can be afixed to any Abrams from the XMI to the M1A2 SEP, hence the name Tank Unrban Survival Kit. Source: United States Army, Globalsecuirty.org, Team Soldier

3.) The Mobile Gun System (which has not been feilded yet) is not a replacement nor equal to an MBT, the MGS is for light armor support of infantry where the M1 can not easily go. Source: Future Combat Systems Represenative, My Father, globalsecurity.org and Team Soldier

5.) Kenetic Energy is was it is Kenetic Energy. Weather the round have a Depleted Uranium or Tungsten Penetrator. Bullet's and KE rounds act very similiar, but are different. KE was made in the mind set as strictly and AP asset. Source: This is my first hand exprince from time at the Table 8 Gunnery Range and at the Rifle Range, and a little study time.

6.) The replace is kind alike a Light Tank with MAC gun (Magnetic Acceration Coil). I can't remember it's offical designation, but I did see an COAO/Team Soldier report on it.

Last edited:
Back