M1 Garand

I'm a wuss when it come to an M1. I always hold the bolt open with one thumb so I can ease it forward. It doesn't look as nifty, but I've never lost a thumbnail either. :D

Okay, thanks for explain it. I would think careful if I had a M1 Garand someday.

Its a absolutely fabulous rifle for any collecter. It has its pros and cons but which rifle doesnt? Just watch your thumb when loading and youll do fine. Have fun. :D

:cens: to add on to that popeye,

OWWWWWWWW*

my garand has the nasty habbit of sending the empty en bloc clip straight up into the air, and straight back down on top of my head.

that hurts a lot to

Hahahahaha.... sorry to hear that. Mine is from 1945 and works very well, glad I don't have many problems. Of course mine, like most, sends the shells flying in all different directions. I love it though... one shell will eject and fall straight down to the ground when the next will sort of 'flutter' up in the air and get some hangtime. :m16shoot:

Popeye said:
when the next will sort of 'flutter' up in the air and get some hangtime. :m16shoot:

It's just like episode three of Band of Brothers when Blithe is hiding in the ditch when Winters tells him to get up and fire his weapon. Then everything gets quiet and you hear the round spinning in the air. Beautiful piece of cinematography.

What's really beautiful is when the fluttering shell flutters down the back of your neck. That's just about the only time I can dance with any enthusiasm.

whats really beautiful is seeing that nice little bullet go right into the bullseye 200 yards downrange.

moving0target said:
What's really beautiful is when the fluttering shell flutters down the back of your neck. That's just about the only time I can dance with any enthusiasm.

The only thing I've fired that does that is a Glock 17. My M1 throws way, way forward and to the right. Policing up the brass is always kind of a pain.

theannoyingnoob said:
The only thing I've fired that does that is a Glock 17. My M1 throws way, way forward and to the right. Policing up the brass is always kind of a pain.

Aim low left, I had the same problem, still do somewhat.

The Famlily Picture

1649888BattleFamily800x600sm.jpg

M1 Garand, M1A, M1 Carbine, & Ruger Mini-14.

OORAH said:
:cens: to add on to that popeye,

OWWWWWWWW*

my garand has the nasty habbit of sending the empty en bloc clip straight up into the air, and straight back down on top of my head.

that hurts a lot to

I suggest wearing a hard hat!

I never got an M1 thumb but the guy next to me on the firing range got a doozy. He was rolling around and yelling so much, I thought he was shot.

i can attest to the fact that it does hurt a lot. I've never been shot with anything other than paintballs, and it hurt way more than that.

let's see you all keep laughing after it happens to you:wink:

You're right, there ain't nothin' funny about M1-thumb, except, that is, how it's gotten. I was set up at a Fort Worth gun show several years back, and had four Garands amidst other goodies on my table. This fellow all but races up to my table, declares that he's in heaven, and asks me if he can pick one of them up. I told him that he'd be more than welcome to, and he did. "A man of fine taste" I told myself, as he'd chosen the WRA to play with. He asked my best cash-right-now price, which I gave him. He whipped out his wallet, layed down the bills and swooped up his new toy. He asked if I could please remove the secure-tie for just a moment, which I did, telling him that I'd have to replace it with a fresh one before he left the table. "No problem," he said, "...I just have to take care of something real quick." He jacked the operating rod a couple of times to get the feel for the spring force. Then, to my amazement, he stuck his thumb down and let fly. BAMB! Well, he danced around for a moment or three, then seemed to get over the pain somewhat. He grinned at me and said; "...I've always heard of M1-thumb, so I wanted to go ahead and get it over with. Now, could you please show me how to charge this thing so I don't ever do it again?" I loaded an en-bloc with 8 dummies and spent the next few minutes demonstrating, then let him try. He got it right every time. I re-secured the bolt, he thanked me and left the show. He returned a bit later and slid a bottle of single malt under my table. "Thanks for the lesson, NOW I'm ready for the range."

Back