M1 Garand

I belong to a Veteran’s Organization, does that count as an affiliated club?

Yes, starting in 2005 Congressionally chartered veterans’ organizations (VFW, American Legion, etc.) are recognized as CMP special affiliates. Any member of these organizations, who wishes to purchase military surplus items from the CMP and fulfills all other requirements, may purchase those items by submitting proof of membership.
I heard that CMP has a store, where is it, how does the purchase process work, what items are available?

Yes, the CMP does have a store at our headquarters in Port Clinton, Ohio. The store sells all of the products you can purchase online or through mail order, and sometimes has limited quantity items at special purchase prices. The purchasing process works the same at the store as for mail order, so we recommend that you insure that all paperwork is complete and certification is current before traveling to the store. To verify availability of a particular item, call the store at 419-635-2141 ext. 1505. The CMP Ohio Store also has a web site at http://www.odcmp.com/Store.htm.
How do I become a member of the CMP?

At this time there is no direct membership in the CMP. Membership is through one of our affiliated clubs or organizations. There are currently over 1800 affiliated organizations. All of our shooting events are accessible to anyone regardless of their affiliation or club membership, but to purchase anything from the CMP, an individual must show proof of belonging to an affiliated club or organization.
How do I find out about affiliated clubs in my area?

Log on to www.odcmp.com and look under the link marked club info. Find the link on the club info page that lists all of our affiliated clubs.

I’m in the U.S. military. Am I still required to belong to an affiliated club?

No. The military services are special affiliates. A copy of your current/retiree military ID card serves to prove as membership in a CMP affiliated organization.

Do I need to participate in another qualifying match?

Your application must include proof of firearms activity unless you are in one the following categories:
  • Active duty military, Reserves and Retirees – Submit a copy of your military ID card.
  • Veterans – Submit a copy of your DD214 (discharge papers showing honorable discharge.
  • Age 60 or older – Submit proof of age.
  • Handicapped or disabled and cannot participate in a qualifying match - submit a physicians report with application.

I'm not a member of Veteran's Organization. What is the Veteran's Organization? Do I still can buy M1 while I'm not a member of Veteran's Organization? I'm deaf. Do I still can buy it? It is confusing me. If I can't buy it. Then my brother will do it for me. He was in Marines and fought in Iraq.

This will answer all of your questions.....

How do I become a member of the CMP?

At this time there is no direct membership in the CMP. Membership is through one of our affiliated clubs or organizations. There are currently over 1800 affiliated organizations. All of our shooting events are accessible to anyone regardless of their affiliation or club membership, but to purchase anything from the CMP, an individual must show proof of belonging to an affiliated club or organization.
How do I find out about affiliated clubs in my area?

Log on to www.odcmp.com and look under the link marked club info. Find the link on the club info page that lists all of our affiliated clubs.

M1 is a great rifle [I can get used ones for 400 bucks or less at my gunshop] But new M1's that are re-built to the 'T' can cost upward of 1,000 dollars!.

I plan on buying a used M1 garand for 200 bucks.

i myself would spend the extra little bit and get a 600 or so one. You'll appreciate how she looks, as well as how she shoots. i saw one at a gun store for 200, it was just ugly.

for a garand that is

Just be careful what you feed your new sweetie-pie, because civilian (hunting) loads can damage your rifle. The combination of a heavier bullet and slower burning powder create excess pressure at the gas port and you run the risk of overloading the operating rod. Just do a little homework on the ammo you buy, and you won't have any trouble. Have fun with your new baby!

(edit: spelling)

thanks for the tip

My dad, who was a lance corporal in the Marine Corps in Vietnam, is gonna see about buying me my much desired 1903 Springfield. I of course would pay for it, but he would still technically be buying it. I was shocked by the low low price of them, only 400 bucks for the 1903 Springfield, from Springfield armory. I cant wait.

Not a problem. The Springfield is a fun one as well. It is rather surprising, once you start shopping, how inexpensive some of the old relics are. You can pick up a specimen of most of the more common bolt action rifles of WWII for $200 to $500 if you shop around.

Bulgar Soldja said:
TOO bad you cant get guns in the UK ;( ........... in Bulgaria i got a Manlicher M95 :) ...... next in the list is a M1 garand :)
Suprisingly enough bolt action rifles are one of the few guns we(U.K. residents) are allowed.Ive had a S.M.L.E. on my christmas list to myself for a few years now.
I expect I shall buy one soon but after I emmigrate to Poland(I did actualy consider Bulgaria for a while!).
Its pistols they wont allow us(not even a .22 target pistol).
Once I move I shall buy:-
walther_p99.jpg

and...

smle1long.jpg

and...

glock26.jpg

and I dont know what else yet(any suggestions and why?).
Even if I were allowed I would never be able to afford what I wanted in U.K. but thanks to Polands economy I will be able to choose freely!

Maybe this is the place to ask...

I picked up a Garand about two months or so ago ("lightly" used, $650). I've been having a big problem with it. The operating rod keeps popping off the bolt. Every two or three rounds, it'll get thrown off the tab that it slips over (if that makes any sense).

I thought it might be the ammunition, but I've tried it with Winchester .30-06 and surplus .30-06 and it happens with both, so I don't know about that. It might just be that some of the parts are worn out, because I don't know exactly how old the rifle is.

EDIT: Maybe this will help:
http://www.fulton-armory.com/tea/expl-vue.htm
That knob at the front of the bolt is where the operating rod attaches to it. That's what it's popping off from.

Last edited:
It's hard to diagnose without the rifle in hand, but the problem is probably a worn out or bent operating rod. You can pay as much as $200 depending on the source and the quality of the part. I'd still take the rifle to a gunsmith to make sure, though.

Congrats on purchasing the M1. I own one as well - original from WWII (1945). Bought it in excellent working order with matching parts for only 500. The guy had around 14 other garands and he said he was just trying to make some room. Nice find I think. Enjoy yours!

... and watch out for the M1 thumb

Pop

its interesting that you should mention m1 thumb popeye, becuase thats exactly what i have right now as i painfully type this post. :evil:

I stripped it down today and was cleaning her, and she bit me. (again :evil: :cens: ). but all is forgiven, i just cant stay mad at something so awesome.

I noticed that on the operating rod that the letters NM where stamped on it. I did a little research in the all knowing internet, and the only related thing i could find was National Match Armory, which would be pretty sweet if thats what it is. Any info on the mystery letters would be much appreciated.

ps. m1 thumb is a B*TCH!:cens: :cens: :cens: :cens: :cens: :cens: :cens: :cens: :cens: :cens: :cens: :cens:

When you pull the bolt back on an M1, it locks open. M1 thumb occurs when you mistakenly release the bolt and every ounce of energy produced by that spring is transferred through the bolt and into your precious digit.

and every ounce, or more likely pound of that energy hurts a lot.

4 easy steps to simulate M1 Thumb:

1.) put thumb on hard surface, such as a concrete floor, or more preferable, a large piece of thick steel.

2.) acquire a large, also metal, hammer

3.) using aforementioned hammer, strike thumb as hard as possible, with no regard for your own safety.

4.) sit back and think how stupid you are for simulating something that is sooooooooooooooooo painful.

enjoy!!

Back