m-16 and p90 - Page 2




 
--
 
August 27th, 2004  
SLR owner
 
5CAV ,

Good stuff you posted there. I have 2 words to express how I feel , and seeing as how you seem to know abit , I am sure you know what they mean...Molon Labe....My opinion is the same as yours on everything you posted , on everything but 1....IT IS legal to purchase and own a machinegun(at least in TX) , one just needs to pay the 200$ stamp and wait about a year for the ATF to process your paperwork(I see you corrected the poster above now). I am saving my $ for WW2 British stuff and a fully auto m4a2
August 27th, 2004  
Sea_Cadet
 
Actually banning assault weapons is a good thing, it restricts where criminals can obtain them.

But I wouldn't move to the UK since the laws are kind of in favour of the criminals.

I wish I could own an m16, I know I can't, so I content myself with my Sprinfield M1903.
August 27th, 2004  
Sea_Cadet
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLR owner
5CAV ,

Good stuff you posted there. I have 2 words to express how I feel , and seeing as how you seem to know abit , I am sure you know what they mean...Molon Labe....My opinion is the same as yours on everything you posted , on everything but 1....IT IS legal to purchase and own a machinegun(at least in TX) , one just needs to pay the 200$ stamp and wait about a year for the ATF to process your paperwork(I see you corrected the poster above now). I am saving my $ for WW2 British stuff and a fully auto m4a2
Well in texas it's legal to toate your firearm, with the correct license.
--
August 28th, 2004  
5CAV
 
Quote:
Actually banning assault weapons is a good thing, it restricts where criminals can obtain them.
Dream on! I think you need to educate yourself on gun laws. Anyone with a felony conviction cannot buy firearms -- it doesn't matter if it's an "assault rifle" or a Holland & Holland Royal Ejector double barrel shotgun. No further restriction is imparted on felons by this law -- only on non-felons.

By the way, in Las Vegas there is a law on the books that requires gun owners to register their handguns. Failure to register your handgun is a felony. However, felons are SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED from having to register their guns. This was adjudicated by the Supreme Court in the early 1960's, when this law was appealed by some Las Vegas goodfellas. According to the Supremes, since it is a FELONY for a felon to have any guns, requiring a felon to register his gun violates the Fifth Amendment's protection against self incrimination (a felon registering his gun is incriminating himself to a felony!).

If guns cause crime, then forks cause obesity and keyboards cause bad spelling.


Quote:
But I wouldn't move to the UK since the laws are kind of in favour of the criminals.
The UK has banned assault rifles. See how well it's worked for them!


Quote:
I wish I could own an m16, I know I can't
An M16 is a true assault rifle -- select fire. If you move out of the PRK to the (mostly) free state of Nevada, you can own all the M16s you can afford.


Quote:
Well in texas it's legal to toate your firearm, with the correct license.
Actually, in almost 40 states it's legal to carry with the correct license -- including the PRK.


Quote:
I am sure you know what they mean...Molon Labe
Timeless words! I'm sure they were said before, but they were first recorded in history about 2500 years ago. The Theban general Epaminodas told this to the Spartan warriors when they demanded that the Theban farmers give up their weapons. You can guess what happened next!


Quote:
I guess the reason the Milwaukee houdlims don't enter my house could be the chest full of #4 buck from a 3" mag?
Lil Hulk, your unarmed neighbors benefit from your selfless civic action! Since criminals don't know who is armed and who isn't, they avoid ALL HOMES. I think Ken Keck did some research on this effect -- something like 1% of the population carrying concealed had a 50% impact on crime.

Our founding fathers put these in terms of "Rights" but they considered them CIVIC DUTIES of good citizens. A good citizen takes advantage of the free press to make himself an informed voter, he votes in elections, freedom of religion gives him a basis of ethics, and he keeps and bears arms to protect the free state. None of this is REQUIRED. You are not hauled off to jail if you don't vote, don't read, don't go to church or don't own a gun, but you are acting as a better citizen of a free state if you take advantage of these RIGHTS.
August 28th, 2004  
SLR owner
 
Couldn't have said it better myself 5CAV....great analogy too....I always heard it was the Greeks who saib it to the Spartans.....that make sense though , I thought the Greeks generally whipped the Spartans...scary what the average person DOESN"T know about gun rights and laws isn't it?

JHR
August 29th, 2004  
5CAV
 
Quote:
I always heard it was the Greeks who saib it to the Spartans
Actually, they were all Greeks. In those days, they made the distinction between Thebans, Spartans, Athenians, Thracians, etc. They only united as "Greeks" when they were fighting the Persians (the rest of the time, they were fighting each other). Kind of like 150 years ago in the US, we made the distinction between Texans, Virginians, Georgians, etc. Those distinctions mostly went away after we lost the War for Southern Independence.
August 29th, 2004  
SLR owner
 
Good stuff 5CAV.... I don't suppose you know how to take apart the firing pin on my FAL do you??? I took it out for the first time and ran 55 rounds through it....Impressive weapon....I'm glad i bought it. Back on topic , what you said about the deterrent effect of criminals in this country not knowing who is armed makes complete sense , although I never thought of that aspect before.
August 29th, 2004  
Jason Bourne
 
Quote:
know the Assault Weapons ban ends this year it should be renewed but the Republicans seem to want more crime
That is one of the dumbest things i've ever heard, Laws don't stop crime, because criminals don't really obey laws now do they, the only thing that stops crime, is punishment, or a really strong role model, or the Marine Corps, or the Russian Secret police
August 30th, 2004  
5CAV
 
Quote:
I don't suppose you know how to take apart the firing pin on my FAL do you???
Check out this website.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/fal/rifle/index.asp

It has a pretty good description on how to remove the firing pin. The FAL doesn't get too dirty -- clean out the bore, clean out the gas plug and piston, and clean the gas tube (carefully or you will be taking your gun to the gunsmith). The bolt and carrier don't get too dirty -- I just wipe them down.

The FAL is a good combat rifle. I prefer the M14 because it has better sights and a better trigger. The FAL is easier to maintain and has better ergonomics, though.

Quote:
the deterrent effect of criminals in this country not knowing who is armed makes complete sense
Check out this website for more statistical backup on that:

http://www.johnrlott.com/

Better yet, buy his book: "More Guns, Less Crime."
August 30th, 2004  
5CAV
 
Quote:
Laws don't stop crime, because criminals don't really obey laws
Correct. That's why they are called "criminals".

Here's a good article on the "Assault Weapons Ban".

http://www.bouldernews.com/bdc/insig...143048,00.html

The idiocy of this law is summed up by this:
Colt AR15 -- semi-auto .223 with black stock -- BAD;
Ruger Mini-14 -- semi-auto .223 with wood stock -- GOOD.