M-16: my first time. Please help.

The topic was to garner further info about the M-16. That's all we were doing. If you don't care that's fine. I think it would've been better for you to say "I don't care" rather than "who cares?". As to the math, well it seems the SAW is more at issue than the M-16 judging from comments already here so you could say the whole topic title doesn't matter if you want to get picky about it.

Well I meant Italianguy wants to know if the math matches up and if it was possible the M-16s unloaded such and such rounds in under 10 seconds and the answer was Yes.
I think that settles it.
Let's just leave it at that for this thread so we don't end up confusing Italianguy :lol:

Vitaly said:
Charge_7 said:
Did you read what I said?

Can you explain the difference between "a greater ability to stay on target" and "for higher probability of hit"? Obviously there is none.

I thought that there is a difference. I figured that with say the An-94 there is a high probability of hit due to the fact that with the high ROF there are two bullets going down range before the felt recoil affects sight alignment. Which results in more rounds where you aimed your first shot. For a greater ability to stay on target, it could mean that there is so little felt recoil that the sight alignment remains centered regardless of the amount of rounds that go throught it. For example if you use a conversion kit on an m-16 to the .22lr caliber. You could empty clips without the sights becoming un-aligned. That is something that is more difficult to do with a higher caliber weapon so the fact that the An-94 does have a higher probability of hit (since there are more bullets being shot without the shooter shifting the sight picture) but since the recoil is felt afterward anyway, it doesn't help in reaquiring the target which would mean nothing in the greater ability to keep the sights on target for more follow-up shots.

Felt Recoil is not the only variable that causes rounds to go off target. The M16 family fires a .22 cal center fire round the 5.56mm . It has very little felt recoil. And is realitivly easy to control in double tap and burst mode. When you fire the gases leaving the barrel of the weapon under pressure create muzzle rise this happens even with semi auto .22 LR weapons. Compound this with 15 or 20 rounds leaving the barrel of a weapon in 5 seconds and the muzzle rise regardless of recoil will throw off the shooters aim.

I'll be damned if anything more than 50 rounds hit that car....

Looking at the pics, I couldn't see how 240 rounds could possible have hit it. It would really be a piece of grating if that was the case. If a 50 cal was in the area, nothing would have been left period. In all, yes, Some M16 variants can empty 2 clips in 15 secs, but it was not the case here.
Arrogant journo probably tried to make a point about "evil americans"

Thanks for the pics, Lemontree, very much appreciated. Really throws her case out the window. 240 rounds would indeed have made that car look like a colender.

Yeah, but there's a but. The vehicle was reportedly shot upon from the right so its right side is supposed to have been damaged. They didn't show it. Just to make the point clear.

Italian Guy said:
Yeah, but there's a but. The vehicle was reportedly shot upon from the right so its right side is supposed to have been damaged. They didn't show it. Just to make the point clear.
I agree. But if they shot from the right side (assuming), then the journalist should have been dead. They showed the left side bullet holes, commen sense says that one does not fire at each other from opposite directions in any situation, especially not if you are at a checkpost 30 yards apart.

Back