M-14

But we do need the M-16 in Iraq, we aren't fighting in the middle of a wide open desert, we are fighting in the middle of crowded cities and villages, so we don't need range, we need rapid fire to suppress the enemy as they try to poke their heads out of windows and doorframes, so range is wasted in these cases. And I believe the M-16 is on its way our, atleast for the Army anyways, I believe they are going for the XM-8 while the Marines are going with the M-16I or something like that, it has a rail system on the front so you can have interchangeable accessories and a scope mount on top.

I know the AF is transitioning to the M-4 with optics for everyone, in a couple of years I don't think we will have any M-16's in the inventory. I know the M-4 is basically the same rifle the range gets slightly smaller with the M-4

I know............ :eek:fftopic:

Although the M-14 was a great rifle in it's time I think that todays warfare calls for a rifle like the M-16. It is lighter, has a higher magazine capacity, with military issue ammo it has a higher velocity, and from the info I got from FAS the maximum effective range with the M-16 is greater than that of the M-14.

I think the M-14 should still be a DMR, the majority of the troops are better off with the M-16.

I'm learning a lot I did not know. As for my mention of the Ak......no I don't like it's accuracy, I just like it's overall feel. I kinda want to try a Ak74 as well but I have not had the chance. Any of you guys have experience with this?

I still have to say I love the M-14 perhaps it has seen it's best days but I just love the feel of wood, and blued steel. I'm glad to see it still does have it's uses. I just wish they would make it a part of the CMP instead of destroying them.

Another thing I wondered about though you said teh M-16 has better range then M-14? I have never heard that. Why would they issue M-14 to any of the 101st if that is the case?

This is according to the Fedaration of American Scientists

M-14 maximum effective range----460 Meters

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m14.htm

M-16 maximum effective range-----point target 550 meters, area target 800 meters

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m16.htm

Maximum Effective Range=the distance that an average marksman can accurately engage a target 50% of the time.

That is the definition now, I don't know what it meant back in the day of the M-14

Sgt. Nick Fury said:
I'm learning a lot I did not know. As for my mention of the Ak......no I don't like it's accuracy, I just like it's overall feel. I kinda want to try a Ak74 as well but I have not had the chance. Any of you guys have experience with this?
I have one of the Romanian AK74's and it's a great little weapon. Accuracy is not bad out to 400 meters or so. Not a match rifle but as well as many of the current batch of assault rifles

I have about 4,000 rds through it. Great gun for fooling around. It's very light, never jams, no muzzle rise ... and with 5.45X39mm at $98.00 per 1000 rds, it isn't too costly to play around with on occasion.

DMR

Most squads in the Corps are getting a DMR assigned to them, we had them in the 80's and 90's as "special" assignment weapons. The 14 is a great rifle, but in a urban environment, it would be tough to tote around and effectively clear a room.

Re: DMR

Lil Hulk 1988 said:
Most squads in the Corps are getting a DMR assigned to them, we had them in the 80's and 90's as "special" assignment weapons. The 14 is a great rifle, but in a urban environment, it would be tough to tote around and effectively clear a room.

Yes, have had them for some time .. M16 w/ ACOG for the most part.

Back