Lynch feels young again and Cincy pays the price

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

ARNIE STAPLETON

Associated Press

DENVER - John Lynch was living on his reputation for most of the season, memories of his past play having more to do with his making the Pro Bowl for the eighth time than anything he did this year.
Still technically sound and impeccably prepared as ever, the savvy safety put up his usual numbers. But he couldn't seem to get through a single week without some of his teammates ribbing him about the absence of all those signature, bone-jarring hits that define his 14-year career.
Lynch, 35, won't hear anybody teasing him about being old this week.
"I felt like I was out there 28 and in Tampa again," Lynch said after delivering a series of jaw-dropping, teeth-rattling hits in Denver's 24-23 win over the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday night that put the Broncos (9-6) on the cusp of the playoffs.
"The guys have been giving me a hard time because I haven't been on those shows 'Jacked Up' and all that," Lynch said. "But they said I have my own segment today."
Apparently, it's never too late to have one of the best games of your life.
Lynch's big day began when he squared up and leveled running back Rudi Johnson in the first quarter, setting the tone for a defense that would collect four takeaways and deal a serious blow to the Bengals' playoff aspirations.
He saved a touchdown when he put a crunching hit on wide receiver Chris Henry 2 yards shy of the right pylon, also in the first quarter. The ball bounced away toward the Bengals' sideline for an incompletion.
"That was happy holidays, bam! Happy Kwanzaa, bam!" Denver defensive end Kenard Lang said.
And vintage Lynch.
"Vintage pop-'em," Broncos defensive coordinator Larry Coyer said.
Lynch's biggest hit came in the fourth quarter when the Bengals were driving for the tying touchdown and had the Broncos on their heels with a series of no-huddle, quick-snap plays.
With several teammates looking at the Denver sideline for a call or with their backs still turned to the Bengals, Johnson got a quick handoff from Carson Palmer and hit the hole for what looked like a big gain.
Playing up toward the line as a fourth linebacker, Lynch was seemingly the only Denver defender who realized the ball had been snapped. He darted into the hole and forced a fumble that bounced into Denver defensive end Elvis Dumerville's hands.
"Lynch is a pounder," Coyer said. "You know what you're going to get from him, and when he gets a chance to crack you, here comes the leather. That pumps everyone up."
Lynch even had a little bit of luck go his way the one time he was beaten downfield. Chad Johnson deked him with a double move and was wide open for a long touchdown pass, but Palmer overthrew him.
"I must be living right," Lynch said. "That was my Christmas present a little early there. Hey, that's the breaks. It's like a long foul ball."
Lynch couldn't pinpoint the reason for his sensational Sunday that had him feeling like the young man who made a name for himself as the Buccaneers' defensive star for 11 seasons before joining the Broncos in 2004.
All he could think of was that he was extra excited in the playoff atmosphere.
That was evident not only in his play but in his uncharacteristic celebrations of each big hit that left the Bengals wondering just what had gotten into this guy. No showboating or trash talking, mind you. Just a pump of the fist and some screaming.
"It's not a secret I'm closer to the end than I am to the beginning of my career," Lynch said. "You just enjoy every minute of it. I've always loved the game, but I never used to celebrate. Having fun, doing that kind of stuff, that's what this game's all about."
Near the end? Coyer didn't want to hear any such talk.
"He's like a daisy. He gets excited to play," Coyer said. "He's a character man and he's still a very, very good football player. That's where people are mistaken. This man is talented, OK? Physically gifted. He's tough. And he's smart, all the things a Hall of Famer's going to be."
Lynch left players on both sidelines marveling at his turn-back-the-clock performance. Henry turned to Denver cornerback Darrent Williams at one point and asked what had gotten into No. 47.
"It was like a highlight film," Broncos defensive back Karl Paymah said. "John Lynch was pouring his heart out."
And playing like he could do this forever.

Back