Luftwaffe

Awesome video, one thing I have wondered of recent years though is how well the Tornado actually has performed.

Its losses in the first Gulf War seemed somewhat disproportionate to US losses and I was wondering whether that was due to the type of mission it flew or a problem with the aircraft itself as much was made of its low level capabilities when it was first deployed.

As far as i know the Tornado performs outstanding in its reconnaissance- ability, therefore many nations ask for them in international ops. It is also a reliable bomber. I don't know much about it but that's what i learned in the officers school- dunno about its use during the gulf war.

As far as i know the Tornado performs outstanding in its reconnaissance- ability, therefore many nations ask for them in international ops. It is also a reliable bomber. I don't know much about it but that's what i learned in the officers school- dunno about its use during the gulf war.

Yeah I have a friend who was a Luftwaffe pilot (now an airline pilot) I probably should hassle him about it some and get his opinions.

It just always had me wondering why they seemed to take more losses during that conflict.

I'll use this thread to post some pictures i find worthy to be presented here. All pictures are either from public sources (Luftwaffe.de etc.) or censored to meet the forum regulations.

(June '08 ) 2nd German Air Force Ground Combat Supporting Battailon says goodbye to his old commander lt-col. Schwarz. ( i personally met him twice [officers school and due to field training in the battailon] and had the chance to speak to him, also about his missions abroad (Kosovo, Afghanistan...), and if I may say that- he is a man of great honor and a role model for every Soldier). I like this pictures because it combines family, duty, respect and much more...
LW_20080708_05.jpg

emblems (selection):
a) German Air Force Officers School Fürstenfeldbruck
b) German Air Force Ground Combat Supporting Regiment "Friesland"
c) German Air Force Training Regiment
d) German Air Force command
e) Fighter-bomber squadrons 32/33/51
f) German Air Force Command Usa/Canada
a)
Offizierschule_der_Luftwaffe_Wappen.gif
b)
01-640.jpg
c)
Verbandswappen_LwAusbRgt3-640x427.jpg

d)
Wappen_LwF%C3%BCKdo-220x146.jpg
e)
Verbandswappen_JaboG32-220x146.jpg
Verbandswappen_JaboG33-220x146.jpg
ag51-640x427.jpg

f)
Verbandswappen_DtLwKdoUSCA-640x427.jpg

Tornado losses often occured in the anti-runway missions. They would lay mines on the air field but in order to deliver them they had to fly straight and level over the runway.
Needless to say, they realized that it was a very poor tactic.

don't know why but i was inspired to mix this video...
maybe you'll enjoy it ^^ love to hear your comments:
Bundeswehr mix

Good to see they have the camouflage ropes on the helmets.
I have no idea why they got rid of those as they would be perfect for attaching foliage.

This is self- made, most soldiers learn that during basic to make the helm-camo easier but it's also possible with the few loops already attached to it. Anyways- I don't have it because I've rarely seen Infantry with helm-camo in missions abroad, that doesn't mean it's a bad thing but to my mind it only makes sense in defensive positions, fit for any camo, otherwise you'd have to change camo every 10 meters- so helm camo is more or less a relict of the past, but not totally obsolete.

Back