Lucky to be back in

Muzzlebrake

Hello,

I've browsed here from time to time but now that I am back in the military I thought I might join this forum.

I hope I'll be welcome here. A long time ago I did a foolish thing. I won't try to excuse myself for my actions. I take full responsibility for them and that's why I titled my thread "Lucky". My wife left me for another guy one day and I went on a bender because of that. During that a guy passed me a marijuana joint and said "Here smoke this you'll feel better." Obviously that was the worst thing I could've done but I did it and I paid the price. Three days later we had the piss test and of course I failed. I surprised alot of people by my stupidity - myself included. I had always been a good soldier and was at the time a good NCO (at least according to my NCOERs). I never was a "druggy" and that was way abnormal for me in charactor. One mistake though is the same as many in such a case. I was told that if I didn't fight it and left quietly I would get a honorable discharge and nothing else would happen to me so I did that. As I left my unit my CO said to me "Get the hell out of here. I never want to see you again!". I thought that that meant I could never come back. That was 11 years ago. I only found out a few months ago that I could possibly get back in and probably could've done so years ago. Well it took a NGB waiver to get me in but I'm back. I got an admin bust to E-3 so at 45 I'm probably the oldest private in the Army but I'm still DAMN grateful to be allowed the privilege of wearing the uniform again. I've been told that as long as I work hard and do the best I can I should have my stripes back in no time. I hope so, but I will not chafe at the bit for them. I do want them of course. Very much so. I just feel that getting back in was a huge accomplishment in itself and I'll focus on things at hand. The rest will come. I only wish I had known sooner I could come back. I'd have been back long since. I want to show my gratitude by requesting overseas duty and I've been told I can do that. My National Guard unit has already been over to Iraq twice now. I'll be looking at units that can use me very soon and should be on my way before too long. Probably in a couple months.

Anyway that's the quick story on me so I think you can understand now why I only hope to be welcome here. I couldn't fault people who might feel otherwise I guess.

Sounds to me like you got the shaft, hard, eleven years ago. I'm not convinced that one failed drug test should be enough to ruin years of honorable service to the Army. Of course I also see the Army's viewpoint, lives are at stake and if (dramatic pause) you were a "druggy" the Army would have been doing the right thing. Congratulations on getting back in to the service.

A very interesting story Muzzlebrake. I am pleased that you have managed to attain your goal and see the lesson in your rather "rough" experience. I'm sure that your maturity and past experiences will be of great benefit to all of those soldiers lucky enough to serve with you.

If I were not an atheist, I would say "God Bless you", but I'm sure that you get my message anyway.

You're of course most welcome here Muzzlebrake (as long as you follow the forum rules ;) )
Good luck and congratulations with your "new" military career.. :smil:

Welcome aboard and glad you learned a valuable lesson. Our company calls people at random for the "whiz quiz" and they give you a short time to get to the lab. You'd be surprised by some of the upper level management types I've seen get walked to the door. Security takes no prisoners, your supervisor doesn't even know until after you're gone. They mail your personal items to you along with your last paycheck.

Back