LT, Taylor and Bailey make All-Pro team

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

BARRY WILNER

Associated Press

San Diego charged through the NFL season, putting up the league's best record at 14-2. No wonder five Chargers made The Associated Press All-Pro team.
Running back LaDainian Tomlinson was a unanimous choice, and was joined by tight end Antonio Gates, fullback Lorenzo Neal, defensive tackle Jamal Williams and linebacker Shawne Merriman on the elite squad. Merriman made it despite serving a four-game suspension for violating the league's steroids policy. Merriman still wound up with a league-best 17 sacks.
"When you've got five guys on the All-Pro team, that says a lot," said Tomlinson, who did quite a bit in 2006, winning the AP's Most Valuable Player and Offensive Player of the Year awards. "I think that's significant and ... I'm obviously very happy to be named on it."
Tomlinson, who set NFL records for points with 186, touchdowns with 31 and TDs rushing with 28, was one of three unanimous choice by a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL. AP Defensive Player of the Year Jason Taylor of Miami was at end, while cornerback Champ Bailey of Denver got all the votes, too.
"My whole idea to go out on a Sunday is to be a pain in the butt for the other team," said Taylor, who had 62 tackles, 13 1/2 sacks, 14 quarterback hurries, two interceptions - both returned for TDs - 11 passes defensed, 10 fumbles forced and two fumbles recovered.
"If I can be a pain in their butt and give somebody a headache, then more times than not, it's going to work out well for myself."
Bailey tied for the league lead with 10 interceptions even though opponents tried to avoid throwing to the Broncos cornerback's side of the field.
Two others, both Chicago Bears, came close to sweeping the vote. Devin Hester, who set a league mark with six kick returns for touchdowns, was the only rookie on the team, earning 48 1/2 votes. Middle linebacker Brian Urlacher, a repeater from last year, got 48.
Asked about the respect he was shown as a rookie, Hester said: "Right, most definitely. I really didn't want to look into this season. I just kind of wanted to establish myself and feel at home. Toward the offseason, that's when I really start looking at some stuff like that."
Their Bears teammates, center Olin Kreutz and kicker Robbie Gould, also made the team.
Saints quarterback Drew Brees edged the Colts' Peyton Manning 25 votes to 24 for the quarterback spot. It was the first time since 2002 that Manning was not the first-team quarterback.
Brees engineered the turnaround in New Orleans from 3-13 to 10-6 and an NFC South division title.
He was joined on the All-Pro squad by Saints second-year tackle Jammal Brown.
Kansas City's Larry Johnson was selected in the backfield with Brees, a former Charger, and the two San Diego backs.
The wideouts are Marvin Harrison of Indianapolis and Chad Johnson of Cincinnati.
Another Bengal, tackle Willie Anderson, is on the offensive line, where he's joined by Philadelphia guard Shawn Andrews and Pittsburgh guard Alan Faneca.
Taylor anchors a defense also featuring end Carolina end Julius Peppers, Minnesota tackle Kevin Williams, Baltimore linebacker Adalius Thomas, Miami linebacker Zach Thomas, Jacksonville cornerback Rashean Mathis, Philadelphia safety Brian Dawkins and Baltimore safety Ed Reed.
"It means a lot," said Adalius Thomas, a first-time All-Pro. "It's a tribute not to myself, but to a lot of the guys up front. I don't think you could have a good linebacking corps without good defensive linemen. That's a tribute to Kelly Gregg, Haloti Ngata, Trevor Pryce and all those guys and the other linebackers, Ray Lewis, Bart Scott and Terrell Suggs."
Buffalo's Brian Moorman is the punter.
Repeaters from 2005 are Gates, Chad Johnson, Anderson, Faneca, Jamal Williams, Urlacher, Bailey and Moorman.
In all, there are 18 AFC players and 10 from the NFC.

Back