Lt. Col. Tom O'Dea reporting in as ordered.

tomtom22

Chief Engineer
I am the oldest of nine children. I went to Mission Church High School followed by Northeastern University, a five year co-op college, culminating in a B. S degree in Civil Engineering in June 1964. Immediately following that I attended ROTC Summer Camp and was commissioned as a 2nd Lt. in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. I then worked as a construction inspector for the Maine State Highway Commission for ten weeks until I entered on active duty in November for Engineer Officer Basic @ Fort Belvoir, VA. Following that I attended Airborne School @ Fort Benning and then reported to my first assignment with the Far East District, Corps of Engineers in Seoul, Korea until July 1966.
I then was assigned to the 91st Engineer Battalion @ Fort Belvoir where I served in several positions including Equipment Platoon leader, HQ Co XO, C Co XO, Bn Maint. Officer, Operations Officer, C Co Cmdr. I then shipped out to VietNam in Aug 68 for duty with the 589th Engineer Bn (Construction) @ Phan Rang where I was the Assistant Operations Officer and then for about 2 weeks the S-3 Officer until I was reassigned as D Co Cmdr @ Don Doung. In the spring of 1969 the Delta Co of the 589th switched into the 577th Engineer Bn (Construction) and Delta 577th went to the 589th. (We switched guidons nobody moved).
In August of 1969 I left the active Army as a Captain and returned to the field of Civil Engineering, working for four years for an Architect/Engineer firm in Boston, MA, Then in July of 1973 I became the Town Engineer for the Town of Randolph, MA, my home town, where I stayed until June of 1987. I then returned to the consulting engineering field, for the next 16 years until I got laid off in May 2003. I collected unemployment and searched for job unsucessfully until I decided to retire.
Shortly after I left active duty, I joined the U.S. Army reserves and served in a number of different units. I was the Sanitary Engineer in the 804th Hospital Center for 2 years until I joined the 329th Engineer Group (Construction) as assistant S-3. I then was assigned as Cmdr 360th Chemical Company, a unit which has the primary job of impregnating uniforms against CBR, with a secondary mission of running a military laundry. My next assignment was as Cmdr of the 412th Engineer Co (Panel Bridge) until I was promoted to Major. I then rejoined the 804th Hospital Center in a major's slot. When I got promoted to Lt. Col., I then joined the 357th Civil Affairs Brigade as a Civil Engineer officer until the unit was deactivated. I then served in the 94th ARCOM headquarters for a year and then joined the 123rd IMA Detachment as an Individual Augmentee to the New England District of the Army Corps of Engineers until my retirement in June 1987.
I have been married to Margaret (Peggy) Walsh for 32 years and we have 2 daughters, Jennifer and Kathleen. Kathleen has a 5 year old old daughter, Savannah Jane, and twin 2year old daughters, Siobhan & Kayla, and is married to a former Marine who saw service in the Gulf war and is a policeman for the MBTA.
whew, well I guess that's enough.

:salute2:

Last edited:
Outstanding introduction.

Welcome to the forums - looking forward to your future posts.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM myself or one of the other moderators.

Welcome to the forums, Sir. :D

I'm also looking forward to your posts. I don't believe we have many engineers here and certainly none so senior.

To Charge 7 and RndrSafe, Thank you both. Being most senior can be taken many different ways. Having outlived everyone else, or having survived? :?

welcome aboard
so are you one of those engineers who makes things, or destroys them?? :twisted:

interesting bio mate

Welcome to the forums tomtom. :)
Thank you very much for the great introduction.

Looking forward to reading your posts.

Welcome Tomtom! Can we just call it the best introduction ever, guys? Outstanding.

Looking forward to reading your posts.

Uhm and nice teeth, btw 8)

Welcome to the forums Colonel. That was some intro :)
It's nice to have another Bay Stater on the forums. I lived there most of my adult life too (Go Pats & Sox)!

Welcome, Sir and thanks for all your time in. I, too am looking forward to retirement soon.

I watched a good History Channel presentation last weekend about the Allied Engineers who built the breakwaters and the American Engineers who built the floating bridges across the Channel for D-day. Awesome.

Now thats what I call an intro. We all should take note.

tomtom22 Welcome to the forums

Welcome, sir! :salute2:

tomtom22 said:
Being most senior can be taken many different ways. Having outlived everyone else, or having survived? :?
Probably a combination of both, sir! :lol:

Welcome to the forums Tomtom,

I apologize for being late with my greetings. I have been clearing the 101st this last week in preparation for going Green to Gold. My small engineering experience as a 12b and 12c is nothing compared to what you have under your belt. I will pay close attention to your posts regarding us sappers.

SGT Doody

An adventurous life and now a man with lots of experiences to share..

An officer :rambo: , a gentleman 8) and now a grandfather :D ...

Have a great time here!

;)

Doody said:
Welcome to the forums Tomtom,

I apologize for being late with my greetings. I have been clearing the 101st this last week in preparation for going Green to Gold. My small engineering experience as a 12b and 12c is nothing compared to what you have under your belt. I will pay close attention to your posts regarding us sappers.

SGT Doody

Based on my read of your profile and your intro, you certainly should be very proud of your career so far, it is outstanding. By the way how is your quest to become an officer going? Good luck on that.
:salute:

Back