I love Russia.

EagleHammer

Many wars Russia and Sweden have fought, and alot of blood have been lost. We have destoyed their armies and they have destroyd ours. They have taken our lands (Finland in particular) and we have taken theirs.

But all that is now forgiven (by me anyway) beacuse the georgian conflict.

How you may ask, well Sweden have been downsiezing it's military for years, and now finally it has stoped beacuse the old red bear have started to move in the east. And might have saved my place in the Army next year.
So thank you Russia, and good luck in becoming the second bully of the world after the US.

But what do you guy's think of Russias new rise to power, Good Or Bad?

:jump::salute::drunkb:.

Last edited:
Enjoy. You have a lot in common with your beloved President Putin then, on account of he loves Geo W. He told us recently that he thinks that history will be much kinder to President Bush as it unfolds.:-D

Enjoy. You have a lot in common with your beloved President Putin then, on account of he loves Geo W. He told us recently that he thinks that history will be much kinder to President Bush as it unfolds.:-D
You mean like letting Russia run wild? :lol: I kid, I kid, but seriously...

Now if you lived in Russia, that 'but seriously 'to Pres. Putin could put you in the mire. Happily for you and I, you live in USA.:thumb:

Many wars Russia and Sweden have fought, and alot of blood have been lost. We have destoyed their armies and they have destroyd ours. They have taken our lands (Finland in particular) and we have taken theirs.

How you may ask, well Sweden have been downsiezing it's military for years, and now finally it has stoped beacuse the old red bear have started to move in the east. And might have saved my place in the Army next year.
So thank you Russia, and good luck in becoming the second bully of the world after the US.

To be honest I really don't see Russia as a threat on the world stage now or in future.

At best they will become a strong regional power but they will never reach the ranks of super power again because they simply do not have the population to threaten the world even if they eventually develop the economy to do it.

Are they a threat to the likes of Sweden, Norway, Poland or Western Europe as a whole, I doubt it but that doesn't mean they don't wish to be seen as one, in the end I think we will just have to learn to deal with the likes of China and India as the next generation super powers.

Are you accusing the USA of being bullies?

Russia's in trouble, the Soviet Union was strapped for cash because of cheap oil, according to CNN crude oil is trading at $93.92 a barrel right now, if the prices don't go up soon again all of Russia's recent economic growth goes right out the window. They don't have the population to defend their massive border while working the factories and taking care of those too old or too young to take care of themselves. They're population is falling at a rate of approx. 200,000 people a year and they are not diversifying their investments and keep developing more and more industry for drilling and moving oil.

As for China and India, 2.5 billion mouths to feed represents quite the problem on its own, during a period of war against an enemy that can achieve absolute air superiority in a matter of days and can napalm every rice paddy in China? Good night. One of the fighter jockies on here a long time ago had an interesting phrase to describe China, "target rich environment". India has the same problems but to an even greater extent because they do not have as much farmland as China and a lot more coast line being gobbled up every year by rising sea levels.

Russia's in trouble, the Soviet Union was strapped for cash because of cheap oil, according to CNN crude oil is trading at $93.92 a barrel right now, if the prices don't go up soon again all of Russia's recent economic growth goes right out the window. They don't have the population to defend their massive border while working the factories and taking care of those too old or too young to take care of themselves. They're population is falling at a rate of approx. 200,000 people a year and they are not diversifying their investments and keep developing more and more industry for drilling and moving oil.

As for China and India, 2.5 billion mouths to feed represents quite the problem on its own, during a period of war against an enemy that can achieve absolute air superiority in a matter of days and can napalm every rice paddy in China? Good night. One of the fighter jockies on here a long time ago had an interesting phrase to describe China, "target rich environment". India has the same problems but to an even greater extent because they do not have as much farmland as China and a lot more coast line being gobbled up every year by rising sea levels.

I partially agree Russia can and will never be a super power again but still will not stop it becoming a regional power (any nation with a competitively sized population can achieve that), to argue that China and India will not because of factors that influence all nations though I think is a bit naive, the simple reality is that there is not a nation on earth that can "napalm every rice paddy in China" and most Western nations have built their entire economic infrastructure on a coastline being gobbled up by rising sea levels.

I partially agree Russia can and will never be a super power again but still will not stop it becoming a regional power (any nation with a competitively sized population can achieve that), to argue that China and India will not because of factors that influence all nations though I think is a bit naive, the simple reality is that there is not a nation on earth that can "napalm every rice paddy in China" and most Western nations have built their entire economic infrastructure on a coastline being gobbled up by rising sea levels.

India and Bangladesh are going to face massive relocations of their population because of rising sea levels, no other country's changes will even compare to what those two nations will have to account for, especially Bangladesh. Having such large populations is the Achilles heal for both nations, hence China's one child policy, and both nations know this. It's a lot of mouths to feed, even in years where the rain fall is only slightly below average both nations have to import tons of grain.

No Mr. Monty B there isnt a nation on earth that can napalm every rice paddy but they sure as hell can nuke all of them. Want to know my philosophies on Russia? Well, no you dont.

No Mr. Monty B there isnt a nation on earth that can napalm every rice paddy but they sure as hell can nuke all of them. Want to know my philosophies on Russia? Well, no you dont.

That is true but then there are an even greater number of nations that can make the Illinois corn fields glow in the dark as well.

I am more than happy to hear your theories on Russia but understand that any over zealous attempts a "patriotic heroics" will be tempered by the knowledge that making claims of military victory against the worlds major nuclear armed nations will be laughed at.

Simple reality for the world is that a sizable proportion of Europe, North America, China and Russia are not open to attack due to the presence of a large nuclear arsenal so arguments about who would win are ridiculous in the extreme.

My mindset does not revolve around nuclear arms. Actually that is the furthest thing from my mind. Combined arms however, well, that is the dominant force of the day. I still see the Russian's of the old days. Have they really come that far???

My mindset does not revolve around nuclear arms. Actually that is the furthest thing from my mind. Combined arms however, well, that is the dominant force of the day. I still see the Russian's of the old days. Have they really come that far???

Combined arms or not the minute any of the nuclear armed nations can no longer defend itself on the battlefield there is a sizable chance they are going to push the button.

Conventional warfare is really only an extension of foreign policy, nuclear warfare is the we lost and are taking you with us policy and it is that which puts the nuclear armed nations out of reach of invasion and the primary reason every other dodgy third world dictatorship wants them in a hurry.

I have no idea whether the Russians have progressed since the days of the Iron Curtain but then to be blunt I really didn't see them as all that threatening even at the height of their power. The Soviet Unions golden era (militarily) only lasted from 1942-1950 after that it was all down hill and I mean lets be realistic here how many Russian pilots were shot down over the USA?

Personally, I think it would be a great mistake to underestimate Russia, advanced or not, their still a problem. At the very least, I would assume a much tougher war than the Iraq hobby.

Combined arms or not the minute any of the nuclear armed nations can no longer defend itself on the battlefield there is a sizable chance they are going to push the button.

Conventional warfare is really only an extension of foreign policy, nuclear warfare is the we lost and are taking you with us policy and it is that which puts the nuclear armed nations out of reach of invasion and the primary reason every other dodgy third world dictatorship wants them in a hurry.

I have no idea whether the Russians have progressed since the days of the Iron Curtain but then to be blunt I really didn't see them as all that threatening even at the height of their power. The Soviet Unions golden era (militarily) only lasted from 1942-1950 after that it was all down hill and I mean lets be realistic here how many Russian pilots were shot down over the USA?

I was expecting more of a fight here. I do not see how the Russian's have progressed. They lack current combined arms tactics and they lack the machinery that drives it. I think their troops are willing to fight but without the proper training to progress in a mission. Their SF has failed in their assigned missions and their conventional troops have failed in their assigned missions.

I wouldn't think of Russia as being that easy.
After all, they got a lot of money now and they will have much more in the coming years. Plus they've got combat experience with Chechnya.

I wouldn't think of Russia as being that easy.
After all, they got a lot of money now and they will have much more in the coming years. Plus they've got combat experience with Chechnya.

But watch the oil prices, cheap oil broke the back of the Soviet Economy, it could be doing so again right now.

Back