The Lotzen decision... - Page 2

--

March 11th, 2012  
LeEnfield

What ever they did they would never have won. Russia is a vast country and they never had the man power to defeat it military and then to hold it. When Napoleon captured Moscow the Russian Government just moved some where else. The sheer distances that the German supply line had to cover was enormous and the further they advanced the more problems they had. and the thinner there lines became. and the more vulnerable it became to counter attacks.
March 31st, 2012  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
What ever they did they would never have won. Russia is a vast country and they never had the man power to defeat it military and then to hold it. When Napoleon captured Moscow the Russian Government just moved some where else. The sheer distances that the German supply line had to cover was enormous and the further they advanced the more problems they had. and the thinner there lines became. and the more vulnerable it became to counter attacks.
I have been of this opinion for a long time however the more I look at it the more I wonder whether Germany was really all that far from victory in Russia, part of me thinks that had Case Blue been successful and they had held a secure line from the Kaspian Sea - Stalingrad - Moscow - Leningrad into 1943 the Russian position may well have become untenable.

Without the oilfields in the Caucasus, the Coal fields of the Don and the Ukrainian bread basket over an extended period of time I really wonder how long Stalin could have held out.