Lord High Admiral Lee Soon Shin - Page 4

--

April 28th, 2010  
LeEnfield

A Can Of A Mam......Wrote..........Often falsely considered equivalent to Admiral Nelson. Nelson took on the Spanish Armada which had been rotting for a few decades and was problem ridden.

Sorry but when did Nelson Fight the Armada, now I always thought that it was Drake that did that, still I must missed that Hollywood film that had Nelson fighting the Armada.
April 29th, 2010  
A Can of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
A Can Of A Mam......Wrote..........Often falsely considered equivalent to Admiral Nelson. Nelson took on the Spanish Armada which had been rotting for a few decades and was problem ridden.

Sorry but when did Nelson Fight the Armada, now I always thought that it was Drake that did that, still I must missed that Hollywood film that had Nelson fighting the Armada.
TOTALLY my bad.
April 29th, 2010  
RollingWave

What Li did that Drake / Nelson didn't though, was that he had his success while his country was virtually crushed , last I check in both the armada and Napoleon case England was still standing when they were fighting
--
May 15th, 2010  
Korean Seaboy

Actually, the situation on the land was NOT entirely dismal. Some generals like Jo-Hun, Kim-Si-Min, and Kwak-Jae-Woo won some impressive victories..... However, overall, the situation was bad enought, but NOT entirely dismal
May 17th, 2010  
Partisan

An impressive CV, he truly does bear further investigation. As with many truly great military leaders he seems to have accomplished much with little, his campaigns would make an excellent story, film, book and game tie up.
May 17th, 2010  
RollingWave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korean Seaboy
Actually, the situation on the land was NOT entirely dismal. Some generals like Jo-Hun, Kim-Si-Min, and Kwak-Jae-Woo won some impressive victories..... However, overall, the situation was bad enought, but NOT entirely dismal
Ehhh, come on, within 2 months of landing the Japanese held the 3 largest cities in Korea at that time. ( Seoul , PyongYang , Kaesung) within 4 months they had significant prescense in all 8 province and basically took every relavent city except for Uiju (which was literally next to the Yalu river) . Yes there were still groups operating in Korea but the King was basically hiding in Uiji and this two eldest son was captured by the Japanese, the Chosen court had effectively cease to function.

Yi was operating out of Hansando (Hansan island) during most of this time, which was the reason that he could do his operation, since to get to him they had to cross the sea, and the Japanese simply couldn't beat him on the sea, his original landbase in Jeolla had already been overran.
May 17th, 2010  
A Can of Man

Kwak Jae-woo and the like did manage to keep the port open for Admiral Yi.
It's pretty much the only way the Admiral could keep operations up.
But those were the few exceptions. Across the board the situation on land was dismal. I hate it when people try to change that part of history. The country was run by a bunch of Confucian scholars and no one held the military as a profession of any regard. Getting our asses kicked was both predictable and deserved. Too bad we didn't learn from it.

Might want to keep the bashing under control Rolling Wave.
I seem to recall this one country that got its ass handed to it by a band of peasants and got chased out to an island. Then lost their place in the UN to the said peasants. Now what was that place called...
Korea got its ass handed to it pretty hard but at least it was at the hands of professionals.
May 17th, 2010  
RollingWave

Yes yes, those said peasants also went on in a short while to beat back a UN (mostly US) army (mostly with the surrendered KMT troops no less) in Korea. so that's hardly the best comparason either is it ? not to meantion the nature of civil war is often more complex .

I am not bashing Koreans at all, I thought Yi was the biggest hero in the war, as were many other leaders of the Righteous army, that doesn't override the incompetence of the Choson court though, there were competent and less competent men on all sides. I'm simply trying to point out the facts.

The Ming system was also ran by Scholars, their expedition was put together by scholars. was nominally lead by scholars, that didn't mean they weren't effective.

Of course, to be fair to the Choson court, their dynasty survived a wooping 500 years, so they had to have done something right.
May 17th, 2010  
A Can of Man

Like I said, the ones running Korea were extremists.
The Chinese were also ineffective in their own right, closing contact with the world, failing to realize they were falling behind and eventually getting their best real estate carved out by several foreign powers. At this point in time (of the conflict), the West had not only caught up, they had exceeded China's capabilites and they had no clue.
As for the Choson Dynasty, they did survive 500 years. That was 500 solid years of non progress, tyranny, oppression and stupidity. No, to be fair I suppose they were pretty effective at the very beginning. That's how they would have come to power. Backwardness, intimidation, murder... That's how they clung to power. Bastards.

When it comes to the whole Choson Dynasty, you will find no bigger hater than myself.
September 10th, 2010  
Korean Seaboy

The Chosun dynasty had some great points, but overall was weak. When it was the weakest, it was the perfect example of modern politics