Looks like the rebels won

I suppose the Pan Am747 blown out of the sky over Lockerbie is one reason.

WPC Yvonne Fletcher was fatally shot during a protest outside the Libyan embassy at St. James's Square, London, in 1984. Fletcher, who had been on duty and deployed to police the protest, died shortly afterwards at Westminster Hospital. Her death resulted in the Metropolitan Police Service laying siege to the embassy for the next eleven days, and the United Kingdom severing all diplomatic relations with Libya. When the expelled diplomats arrived back in Libya they were greeted as hero's. No one has ever been convicted for the murder of Yvonne Fletcher. However in 1999, the government of Muammar Gaddafi accepted responsibility for her death and agreed to pay compensation to her family.

Two years later it became a major factor in Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher's decision to allow U.S. President Ronald Reagan to launch the U.S. bombing of Libya in 1986 from American bases in the United Kingdom.

Terror groups aided by Libya include the IRA in the UK the Red Brigades in Italy; and others in Japan, Turkey, Thailand and elsewhere, as well as the various Palestinian terrorist groups.

Last edited:
I don´t think terror support is the reason.
In 2006, United States removed Libya from the list of terrorist supporting nations after it had ended all of its support for armed groups and the development of weapons of mass destruction.

I don´t think terror support is the reason.
In 2006, United States removed Libya from the list of terrorist supporting nations after it had ended all of its support for armed groups and the development of weapons of mass destruction.

Many people in the UK still remember the Lockerbie bombing as well as the IRA terror campaign and still held a hatred for Gadaffi while he was alive.

Why is gadaffi responsible for what one of his officals did in a Embassy abroad, got any evidence to suggest that?

Same with the lockerbie bomber, Just because he was Libyian doesn't mean it was under Gaddafi's order.

Back