Looks like the rebels won - Page 2

--

October 24th, 2011  
84RFK

So, we have a loose-knit revolution that may turn into a fight between fractions...
If some degree of control by a democratic council doesn't surface soon, it could take a nasty turn.
October 24th, 2011  
benaakatz

the gov. just said they would draft a constitution based on sharia law

sigh
October 25th, 2011  
beaufortninja

Did you guys see the video of the rebels sodomizing Gadaffi with a knife before they killed him? That's who NATO just handed over the country to. Instead of a dictator who was trying to mint a strong, gold-based, regional currency that would have benefited Africa and the Middle East, and who was tapping the vast Nubian Sandstone Aquifer system for the ultimate goal of feeding all the starving Africans, we get a couple of rag-tag goons who stick knives in POW's butts.
--
October 25th, 2011  
VDKMS

We all knew that when those undisciplined rebels caught Kadafi, he wouldn't live for long. I condemn that but I can surely understand it.
October 25th, 2011  
Yossarian

Let's all hope this debacle doesn't become another regret in foriegn policy 10 to 15 years down the road...
November 2nd, 2011  
Seehund

Many think Gadhafi's demise is cause for celebration, but Im saving the champagne for another occasion. Libya's "opposition" -- once unified by a common enemy -- is now back to being a bunch of rival factions. With conflicting religions, tribal factionalism, geographic diffusion, a power vacuum, and a splash of oil, Libya's got all the ingredients for continued conflict.

The Arab Spring is a classic how-to guide to mainstream media's wishful thinking. Got a minority seeking to topple a regime on your hands? Just label it a unanimous revolution against authoritarianism, and give it an air of a fledgling democracy. Problem solved!
November 2nd, 2011  
VDKMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seehund
Many think Gadhafi's demise is cause for celebration, but Im saving the champagne for another occasion. Libya's "opposition" -- once unified by a common enemy -- is now back to being a bunch of rival factions. With conflicting religions, tribal factionalism, geographic diffusion, a power vacuum, and a splash of oil, Libya's got all the ingredients for continued conflict.

The Arab Spring is a classic how-to guide to mainstream media's wishful thinking. Got a minority seeking to topple a regime on your hands? Just label it a unanimous revolution against authoritarianism, and give it an air of a fledgling democracy. Problem solved!
I hold my breath for what's comming.
November 2nd, 2011  
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
Let's all hope this debacle doesn't become another regret in foriegn policy 10 to 15 years down the road...
Maybe I should have posted this here, instead of the politics section
November 3rd, 2011  
MontyB

You know I find it amazing people are sitting here feeling bad for Gadaffi, heres a thought perhaps if he hadn't been a brutal dictator and perhaps had he not thought it was a good idea to blow up civilian airliners and night clubs he would still be alive and in power.
November 3rd, 2011  
Seehund

Im not feeling bad for Gaddafi. Im just curious why certain people in the west were for going after him, when the same people were against going after Saddam. I think this one will come back to bite us in the rear end.

Now, we hear, the top guy that will most likely be the next Libyan leader is a former al Qaeda commander. Is there any such thing as former? I think once in al Qaeda there is only one way out and that is in a pine box. Gaddafi supported, sponsored and financed terrorism this is true but Im sure the next regime in Libya will do the same. So what really changes?

The only thing that annoys me about Gaddafi's death is the European state leaders' hypocrisy and washing hands - EU states (and several state leaders personally) was Gadaffis political and economic allies, and he has murdered in their name and for their money. It may well irritate me and make me vomit when I see these hypocrites retroactively condemn a dictator who was their best friend until recently.

EU's "president" (who is no more democratic elected than Gaddafi) called Gadhafi a "despot". These are big words for a representative of an institution that for years have paid the same despot to suppress and kill refugees, an institution which has supplied arms to him and got oil and gas from him, etc. .. leaders of NATO and EU are equally guilty of Gaddafi's political regime as they are in his death.