Looking for a World War II book

Arctic Jack

Hey, I’m looking to buy a book so I can learn about the whole of World War II. Most of the books I’ve seen just cover specific events like D-Day or the Pacific. I’d like a book that covers the whole war. Could someone recommend me one? I don’t want one that’s been written or influenced by a Goldberg or the far left either. They like to distort the truth and all you end up reading is what they want you to read.

Cheers.

The Second World War by John Keegan is pretty good, though he does run out of steam in certain areas. But still a nice overrall book!

I recently finished Winston Churchill's 6 volume set of The Second World War. Obviously it is from a political and very British perspective, but the man was an excellent writer, with a incredible knack for turning a phrase.
The only downfall I saw in the series is that I found myself using the British spelling for words (organise instead of organize etc.)!
Excellent series.

Delivered From Evil by Robert Leckie, it's a one-volume overall comprehensive work on the War. It's great stuff.

I had this great book once when I was a kid, it was called "A Pictorial History of WWII".

The descriptions in it are brief mostly summaries of the major battles. The pictures were great though.

The only book I have on World War 2 is a series comprised of two thick books. It's in hardback and rather square. It's called World War II and Douglas Brinkley is the general editor. It's a New York Times Living History book. The first book is called WWII The Axis Assault. The second is called World War II The Allied Counterattack. It covers both economic, social, military, and individual aspects of World War II. For example, it tells about Roosevelt's failing health, the US rations, the Battle of Midway, and the Detroit Race Riots. The book contains many entries. All entries have a summary, a New York Times article from that period, and an individual document like a diary, poem, speech, etc.... I think it's relatively unbiased. It costed me about 68000 won or 68 dollars. Yet I think it's well spent.

Also, I would appreciate is someone else will also recommend a good WWI book for me. I know a lot about WWII, but I am clueless in WWI.

Damn I read one a few years back but I've forgotten the name of the author...
I think World War II books are too frequently read.

Claymore, though Churchill's style is indeed very good, it is also very inaccurate. Modern books are the most likely to be the best. The authors have had a wider range of information and, depending on how they have used it, have probably published a more accurate side of the second world war. One of the best WW2 books I have read narrates the Battle of Britain. The book is called With Wings like Eagles: A History of the Battle of Britain, written by the neutral yet assertive Michael Korda.

Dunno. I've yet to find an overall book I'm happy with. I just focus on units, battles, etc that interest me.

As an introduction to ww1, I highly recommend Barbara Tuchman's The Guns of August. This book relates the events of the first month of the war and the dawn of modern industrial warfare. I hope this helps Korean Seaboy's quest for ww1 literature.

Last edited:
To get a general book about WWII is difficult, due to the fact how big it was. The solution can be to watch documentaries about the war, such as my favorite. The World at War by BBC, it is from the 1970s, but I like it. Can be found on youtube. The Russian problem is evident in the World at War of course. Many interviews of the people who fought in it, British, Americans, Russians, Germans, etc. Even high ranked officers from both sides. Then pick what is interesting and get the books about specific battles.

John Keegan wrote a book about the WWI as well.

take care

Ghostrider

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich is pretty thorough about the European theater. It is as big a book as I would carry in one volume.
Time/Life did a multi-volume set, gleaned mainly from their publications at the time. It can often be found in various conditions and states of completion at flea markets and used book stores.

Back