Looking to join the Military, but I've only a GED

Desperado

Alright, so here's my situation;

I'm 21 years old, and I'm actively looking to join a branch of the US military to begin my life. The thing is, even though I "completed" High School, I was a few credits shy of a diploma.

This is mostly due to a string of 4 surgeries that began at the start of my Junior year. All of which had extensive downtime due to a very slow healing period. All of the surgeries were to remove a pilonidal cyst near my tailbone.

So, after having healed from my 4th surgery, I went to the local community college and got myself a GED with relative ease.

Having said all that, I just went to a local Armed Forces station to get some information. I walk in and every office except the Marine Corps is empty.

One of them (I assume it was a recruiter, he had plain clothes on) asked me if I needed something, and I said I was looking for information. He asked for which branch, and I said I wasn't sure yet (I haven't decided between Army or Marines yet). He asked a few questions, and then asked when I graduated. I told him I wasn't able to graduate due to a set of surgeries, and that I have a GED.

He then said "The Marines, Navy and Air Force don't accept GEDs, but the Army and National Guard do", handed me the card of the Army recruiter who would be there on Tuesday, wished me a happy easter and sent me on my way.

I had no idea the Marines didn't accept GEDs. I guess I assumed because it was a diploma equivalent that it would be.... well..... equivalent. I looked further online and find out that in every branch, regardless of aptitude, the percent of GEDs accepted range from .5-10%?? I know I could prove myself if I could get my foot in the door, but it sounds like no one would even give me that.

So is that it? Are any plans involving the military worthless at this point?

Are you kidding me? You've got the Army and in terms of a career choice, Army is usually more sound. Quite a few Marines opt to continue their military career in the Army because of the choices and sometimes because it's hard to juggle the Corps with other commitments.

The Marine Corps used to require higher ASVAB scores from enlistees with GED's, now they've gotten away from accepting them expect in extreme cases and hard to get waivers.

In the opinion of the Corps failure to complete HS puts a question mark on your level perserverance and commitment.

It is now Wednesday. Have you talked to the Army Recruiter? Have you talked to a recruiter online? I believe all of the branches have a recruiter you can speak with online.

I've spoken with him, and my having a GED is not an issue.

He had me take the practice asvab on his laptop, and I scored a 64. Aced everything regarding word knowledge/english, but I didn't do very well with math :(. I've never been good at it.

Tomorrow I will be taking the actual test. Right now I'm brushing up on some algebra. I don't have any real idea yet as to what I want to do, but I figured I'd take this test and see where I stand and go from there.

Wishing you the very best on your GED! Get good, restful sleep the night before, and eat a quality breakfast that morning.

Let us know how you did, ok?

I know from the AF you can get some college and get into it...im not quite sure how many credits...but just try for the basics. After basic and your job training you will have enough credits for a degree and with a certain amount of credits you will get E-3 right out of basic. I wish you the best of luck....

Back