Looking at all my military carreer options

F*cking hate MPs.
Obviously good to have friends in many places but if you could have only one outside your unit, choose supply!

I'm in an MP unit now...................................and I hate MP'S.:lol:

Well at least the PMO Mp's. Guess AussieNick is right.

If I were to chose to join the US Military, which branch would you recommend:

Army or Marines?

Gosh I wish I had this option in Canada (wish we have a Marine Corps).

Never hit the MP s

F*cking hate MPs.
Obviously good to have friends in many places but if you could have only one outside your unit, choose supply!

You are wright man!

Who normal, can joined MP. police are strange, but MP, totaly perversed.

:m16shoot:

Crap, my son is in law school...

I get to kick it first! :box:

Having a lawyer on your side could be a very valuable asset. If the lawyer has a good set of values, it's even better. But being a cowardly, two faced b*stard just seems to come with their profession.

If I were to chose to join the US Military, which branch would you recommend:

Army or Marines?

Gosh I wish I had this option in Canada (wish we have a Marine Corps).

What is it that you want from your military service? It depends on what you want.

You are wright man!

Who normal, can joined MP. police are strange, but MP, totaly perversed.

:m16shoot:

This is a universal sentiment. hehehe

You know, whats the real difference between the two?
Heres some differences:
The marines are smaller (less people) compared to the army, thus less opportunities
Pay less compared to the army
Boot camp is longer compared to the army
The marines are under the juresdiction of the department of the navy compared to the army is under the department of the army
They're naval infantry
Older equipment compared to the army

What are the real reasons to pick one over the other?

Pay less compared to the Army is in fact correct. Technically it is not the case but because promotion is almost always slower, you are in fact getting paid less.

Cdt Matteo, your average Marine is of a higher standard than your average Soldier. It's usually how it pans out. The average Marine usually gets more training and there's usually more emphasis on fitness.
Now this is usually. Not always.
The only people who say they're exactly the same is only the Army people ;)
But obviously it depends. Your average Ranger is fitter and better trained than your average Marine.

I hear many many stories of financialy poor marines who can't support their families, is this true?

But, apart from the obvious fitness standard difference, what differences could I expect?

Any E-1 thru E-4 in any service is going to be cash strapped trying to raise a family in those pay grades. Unless of course they manage to get base housing etc. It's the same as civvy side income vs out go.

Besides the differences in the two services cultures, What exactly do you mean?

I hear many many stories of financialy poor marines who can't support their families, is this true?

But, apart from the obvious fitness standard difference, what differences could I expect?

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never known!!!:angel:

Well I still got until 18. Though I'll be in the Canadian Infantry at 16 though.

Dont rush into the military. Give yourself some time in the civilian world. Seriously, go work a couple of different jobs, go to college for something you like. Honestly, I waited before enlisting and I am very glad that I did. I learned a lot of things that helped me with the military, not to mention made me better rounded. Give your self a chance to grow up a little before plunging headlong into something that will force you to grow up.

Note that I am not saying dont join, or try something else to see if you like that better before joining. I am saying get some civilian side experience before joining in order to help you in your future.

The Military pay charts are easy enough to locate. Those should give you a good idea of what lower enlisted income is like.
http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/militarypaytables/2008MilitaryPayCharts35.pdf

I am rather curious as to what "Obvious Fitness Standard Difference" you are referring to. Obviously your fitness standards are going to depend on your job and the people running your PT program, not what branch you are in. For example: MP's will do more PT than say Supply, but less than Infantry who in turn do less than ubersuperninjainfantry.

the_13th_redneck said:
Cdt Matteo, your average Marine is of a higher standard than your average Soldier. It's usually how it pans out. The average Marine usually gets more training and there's usually more emphasis on fitness.
Now this is usually. Not always.
The only people who say they're exactly the same is only the Army people :wink:
But obviously it depends. Your average Ranger is fitter and better trained than your average Marine.

So thats how it is Sarnt? I may have to take back all those good things I was saying about you.:lol:

I argue differently. If you look at the entire Army and the entire Marine corps, sure maybe I could agree. But thats adding in all of the "soft" MOS's that dont really do a whole lot of... well much (which numberwise there are more in the Army than Marines). (I apologize to any who consider themselves in a soft MOS... I am of course not referring to you;)) Comparing the Combat Arms of both branches, I would say they are not identical but are relatively equivalent. I have beaten guys who have been picked up for Marine Recon in runs and physical fitness tests, and in turn have been beaten by other Marines. I met Marines who can do more push ups than I can, and Marines that I can do more pull-ups than they can. Maybe its branch loyalty coming from both sides turning into a "No, we have it harder!" argument. Honestly, I dont believe that any commander, Marine, Army, or other, would be willing to lower their standards and endanger the lives of their men in the long run.

Having a lawyer on your side could be a very valuable asset. If the lawyer has a good set of values, it's even better. But being a cowardly, two faced b*stard just seems to come with their profession.

True. But if the negative side your are referring to are the attorneys who find themselves defending the guilty, I must offer up only this argument. In the military we are asked to do our job in the defense of freedom, liberty, and justice, regardless of whether or not we like or agree with what that may mean. Council (or defensive attorneys) are asked to do the same by ensuring that their clients receive a fair trial and fully exploit the law to pursue such ends. I use the word exploit knowing its generally negative connotations, realizing the prosecution is also exploiting the law for its own purpose.

Prosecution and council form a perfect counterbalance that antagonize each other, but in the end seek the same thing: Justice. An example of Yin and Yang, if you will.

Also note that I dont have the stomach for defense. Its just on the wrong side of the equation for me.

Im done rambling for now. Its good to have the internet back. :smile:

Why not join the Royal Marines? As a Canadian you're automatically a member of the British Commonwealth, so you can join the British Royal Marines without going for citizenship. Of course that would involve moving to Britain and also the Royal Marines Recruit Training Course is 32 weeks compared to 13 weeks for the USMC so it's a huge commitment, but if you wanna join the Marines without going to all the effort of becoming a US citizen, it's a possibility.

Back