'Long Way To Go' In Iraq, General Tells Local Crowd

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Atlanta Journal-Constitution
April 13, 2008 By Marcus K. Garner, Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Saying Iraqi forces were not yet ready to stand on their own, Gen. David Petraeus remained steadfast in support of reduced troop withdrawals from Iraq in a speech Saturday night to a veterans group in Atlanta.
Speaking to the 82nd Airborne Division Association's 31st annual awards banquet, Petraeus said Iraqi forces were "not yet ready to take over full responsibility of securing their country."
"Despite the heartening improvements in Iraq, we still have long way to go," Petraeus said.
Honored as the "Airborne Man of the Year," Petraeus joked that he felt relieved to be in Atlanta. "After the past week in Washington, I can say that being here with you is the highlight of my visit to the States," he said.
Earlier in the week, Petraeus and U.S. ambassador to Baghdad Ryan Crocker gave two days of testimony before a skeptical Congress.
They said the U.S. should temporarily halt its withdrawal of troops from Iraq once force levels reach 140,000 this summer, allowing the effects of the drawdowns to be evaluated.
Attendees like Craig Meyer of Cumming said he came to support Petraeus, a former 82nd Airborne regimental commander.
"I watched him on C-SPAN, and he was taking a beating," Meyer said. "He, in my opinion, has probably the toughest job in the world right now."
Many in attendance hoped to hear some good news.
"I expect him to say what a wonderful job the troops are doing," retired Col. Ross Goddard of Decatur said before the general's speech.
Petraeus didn't disappoint.
"Our troopers are doing today whatever it takes, serving selflessly and courageously," he said. "Together with our Iraqi partners, our troopers are working together to maintain a safer Iraq."
On Thursday, President Bush ordered an indefinite halt in U.S. troop withdrawals from Iraq after July. Bush said Petraeus will "have all the time he needs" to consider when more forces could return home.
The president also announced he will seek to relieve the heavy strain on the Army by reducing the length of combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan to 12 months, down from the current level of 15 months. The change takes effect Aug. 1 and will not affect U.S. forces already deployed on the front lines.
Now in its sixth year, the Iraq war has claimed the lives of more than 4,000 U.S. troops and cost more than $500 billion.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Back